F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, new the Ecoboost Forum.... I have a new 2013 FX 2 Ecoboost.... Been thinking about adding a CAI but hear it will void warranty. Is there any truth to this? I also thought about just buying a drop in like AFE or K&N but not sure it is worth the money. What have you experience with the two? Do they really increase HP and gas milage?

·
Registered
537 Posts
It really depends on who you want to believe. Yes, there are some very minor gains to be seen if going with a quality CAI. Even more when mated with an aftermarket tuner.

As for a drop in filter it will be more seat of the pants power which is also in direct relation to how much lighter your wallet is from paying for the filter.

I will run my OEM factory paper filter until it needs to be replaced and then compare the price of OEM vs oiled drop in filter before making a decision. And then it will be a $ choice of having to replace a paper filter over and over vs only cleaning the drop in filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think I'd rather do the drop in filter before replacing it with a CAI kit.... Still not sure if the CAI will void factory warning

·
Registered
537 Posts
Keep in mind sometimes your dealer doesn't have the final work on warranty items. I did have an aftermarket CAI come back and bite me it the butt on a Powerstroke diesel a few years ago. Problem is, that their explanation was so good even I as the customer couldn't argue the point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a K&N air intake system for my 2012 F150 XLT Echoboost but not after I spoke with 2 service managers from ford and they told me if the system is installed properly it will not void any warranty. I'm excited to install it and see the difference from stock.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I only use the K&N drop in because I keep my vehicles next door to forever. The payback is getting better with each rig. In fact, I had one went through three Tauruses!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put the AFE dual-cones and throttle-body spacer on mine, along with a MBRP exhaust. It sure seems to breath better, and nice to hear the turbos wind up. Will be getting a programmer to pull it all together soon.

AFE Intake.JPG

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
k I've heard throttle body spacers don't help on EB? Do you think it's worth the $100. I have my AFE CAI stage dubs coming next week.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Put the AFE dual-cones and throttle-body spacer on mine, along with a MBRP exhaust. It sure seems to breath better, and nice to hear the turbos wind up. Will be getting a programmer to pull it all together soon.

View attachment 1845
I've heard that this is the only CAI to produce significant gains and it is because of the split pipes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Folks you are throwing away good money. You want better or higher air flow you get it because of one reason........ Less filtration. The micron filtration size is increased to improve airflow. The cold air part is total BS. Why? Think about it... Pulling any air from the engine environment is heated and therefore not cold. Even from outside will not be cold air unless the ambient temp is actually cold. I know it looks cool and sounds a bit better you risk the actual performance of your equipment by less filtration. Warranty issues are a legal point but from a Ford technician point of view.....you get no real life improvement and reduce the filtration quality all for a better "look" under the hood. It is simply not worth it. Please no comments about your great surge of power as that has been proven many times as bunk. Just like a pill to miraculous lose weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Folks you are throwing away good money. You want better or higher air flow you get it because of one reason........ Less filtration. The micron filtration size is increased to improve airflow. The cold air part is total BS. Why? Think about it... Pulling any air from the engine environment is heated and therefore not cold. Even from outside will not be cold air unless the ambient temp is actually cold. I know it looks cool and sounds a bit better you risk the actual performance of your equipment by less filtration. Warranty issues are a legal point but from a Ford technician point of view.....you get no real life improvement and reduce the filtration quality all for a better "look" under the hood. It is simply not worth it. Please no comments about your great surge of power as that has been proven many times as bunk. Just like a pill to miraculous lose weight.
WTF?! logic behind this one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well I don't know aboutn the intake on its own but if you go to the thread I started"custom tuned" you will see my runfile before tune is with the intake and exhaust. I think it proves with out a doubt that those mods make a huge difference from stock #'s. and then after the tune WOW!!! AND I run 91 octane not 93-94. I did the exhaust first and that was the biggest difference I have ever had on an exhaust. I have done the exhaust on every vehicle I owned. Then I did the intake and I have to say I don't know that it made to much difference Although I do think it made some especially when towing over the mountains at 10,000ft. The pipes on the AFE stage 2 are way bigger when you add them up as to compared to stock. So shouldn't it stand to reason that you can produce more cfm of flow? and as far as micron for micron the afe filters are just as good or better then stock x2.

·
Registered
339 Posts
WTF?! logic behind this one.
Well what is it you fail to understand? It has been proven time and again on dynos that aftermarket intakes simply do not make any appreciable increase in horsepower. The "better" airflow is at the expense of less filtration. That certainly seem clear to me. The poster asked if aftermarket intakes are better. My answer is........NO!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Well what is it you fail to understand? It has been proven time and again on dynos that aftermarket intakes simply do not make any appreciable increase in horsepower. The "better" airflow is at the expense of less filtration. That certainly seem clear to me. The poster asked if aftermarket intakes are better. My answer is........NO!
It's only less filtration if the surface area stays the same.
The beauty of a cone filter(or two) over a flat panel is the huge increase in surface area allows for the same or better level of filtration at less pressure drop.

I'd say the filtration is absolutely better, but power gains are not necessarily related to the filters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spoke extensively with my dealer and service manager about mods to my truck. Basically it boils down to this. If you install a reputable aftermarket item on your vehicle according to the manufacturers recommendations, your warrantee should hold, however if so much as play with the ECM with a tuner, your warrantee will be voided by Ford and not your dealer. There is a tattletale in the ECM now that knows if the original factory tune has been modified or replaced, even if you put it back. I guess it is up the individual dealer but remember, warrantee work has to be approved by Ford as that is who ultimately pays your dealer. I need to study the wording of my secondary warrantee to ensure this also follows their guidelines. Air filters, and exhausts have been changed for years.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

Limited is EXACTLY correct. Most of the time when people claim BIG GAINS, it's because they added them with exhaust (which does help) and programming (which helps a lot). A CAI by itself will net you virtually nothing unless you can get the air directly from the outside AND the ambient air temperature is sufficiently cold. BUT, the gains are still maybe 1% at most (nothing else done). That's why cars in cold places during winter notice some extra power ... it's so cold that even the air under the hold is cold. And that's with the stock intake.

People or manufacturers always claim "big gains" but they also have the PCM tuned and that is the real source of the gains. Remove the CAI, switch back your stock intake and you will not see anything more than a 1% difference.

An exhaust upgrade will also work well on these trucks, but the exhaust that gives the most (a 4") is also noisy. And Ford will most likely void your warranty when they see it. In fact, the papers I just got for my truck (I bought it last weekend) clearly states Intake and/or Exhaust changes can void the warranty.

The PCM tuning (by itself) will yield you your best bang for the buck performance gain on these turbo vehicles ... but it most definitely voids your warranty if Ford discovers it (can you say "break down on freeway" and no chance to reload your stock tune?

The gains from PCM changes are primarily from adding more spark advance, getting the AF Ratio closer to the optimal 12.6-13.0 range (maybe a tad richer for turbo) and building/holding more pressure in the turbo by holding the waste gate longer.

But someone mentioned "fueling issues". I have not yet heard anyone say what the problem, but until someone figures out what the issue is (and willing to share it with everyone else) ... I would be very careful. If the fueling issue means the injectors cannot keep up due to insufficient duty-cycles, you could end up with not enough fuel and an overly lean condition ... resulting in blowing holes in your pistons). And, sometimes bigger injectors are not an option.

Big injectors may be fine for WOT (in other words racing where you only have two throttle positions). But, big injectors may not work in ordinary "daily driving". It also may introduce horrible driveabilty issues including inabilty to idle. And, if you live place that does emission testing on a dyno, you have no chance of passing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interested in hearing more opinions. Great thread

·
Registered
59 Posts
Filtering vs flow: or, how a paper air filter differs from an oiled gauze filter.

Basically, you get more flow from a gauze filter because it is less restrictive. If you look at the two types of filters under a microscope, you'll see the paper filter has very tiny uniform holes through it, whereas the gauze filter looks like Swiss cheese. A paper filter relies on the small holes to filter. A gauze filter relies on the oil trapping small particles to filter - the gauze itself cannot filter anything smaller than maybe a half mm.

The upshot of this: gauze filters flow more air. This is incontrovertible. The *cost* of flowing more air is less filtering. So you have to decide if that's worth it. If you're in a dusty environment, i personally wouldn't run gauze.

The other considerations in this case - you're running a forced induction motor. If your filter becomes a bit restrictive, the turbos are just going to spool up more to compensate.

IMHO, intake filtering isn't going to get you much on this engine. I'd put my money on a free flowing exhaust, again because this a turbo motor. Getting the least backpressure for waste gases after the turbos are done with them will allow them to spool up faster, and spend that energy compressing the intake charge more efficiently. At the cost of sound suppression, of course.

All that being said (and here's where I get subjective) wtf would you change anything from stock. 365hp/420ftlb, able to pull 10k of trailer or get twenty odd mpg. Seems dreamy all around to me. :-D This is not the bad old days of big displacement motors with incredibly restricted flows for environmental reasons, where you could gain 100hp just by changing the exhaust and intake. This engine is (again, IMHO) set for 80% of what it can do safely for a long time. (by the way, that's what tuners do - they remove that 20% safety margin) You can, with minimal care, beat the living **** out of it day in and day out in the stock setup, and it will happily take it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
16 Participants
Sundie
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing