F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
You will have no problem towing 8000 pounds and also what has been said above. Now you might have trouble with overheating if towing up mountains in summertime.
Make sure a WDH with anti-sway and appropriate sized bars is set up properly. Take your time.
Welcome to the forum !

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
What do you think the wheelbase has to do with it ?

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
6500 GVWR ? I haven't Max Tow and tow 7500 on a whim. Easy peasy like.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Eh. I think towing experience is more important than tow vehicle wheelbase. To each their own. I don't believe another 12" of wheelbase with the 6.5' bed is enough more weight to matter toward 'ballast'.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Ok but 12" more wheelbase ? Nah. A long wheelbase much heavier SuperDuty ? Yep.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Well said, Snake. I was looking for just the type of engineering response you provided. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my transmission cooler, provided by Ford with the "Max Tow" package. The trailer is well within the tow capacity of my truck (12,700#) contrary to the nay say that some spew. I HARDLY ever pull up a hill like that, but was here looking for solutions to a rare issue thinking someone may have encountered the same thing. Thanks for your time!
Where are you getting that 12700 figure ?

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Thanks for the post. Not the least bit constructive, but extremely graphic and condescending. Sheesh. Ask for a solution and get the bull with the horns.... Take it easy.
You are starting out here on the wrong foot calling us spewing naysayers.
It's obvious your pickup is overloaded and you are pushing it beyond it's limits.
All is not lost.
Slowing down would be the least expensive start.

Reactions: Utah_Lariat_EB

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone. I was looking for constructive solutions, and received everything BUT pragmatic forward thinking. This trailer is well within the tow capacity of my truck. My GCVR is listed in Ford's documentation at 17,100#. Subtract 4800# for the truck, and get roughly 12,300#. Subtract people, gear, fluids, potentially 2000#, you get 10,300# for the trailer. My trailer unloaded is 8700#. Should have made this clearer.
All we are saying is, just because you come up with a figure for max tow limit, doesn't mean no other limit, such as CCC, isn't breached. Also, you say "occasional 10 mph up an 8% grade. ??? I tow 8000 pounds up a 9% grade at 60 mph, no problem. 3rd gear. 6 speed. Gen 1 engine. You are overloading the pickup.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Sorry. I don't understand constructive decisions I guess. There is good advice here and that is what you have been given. The pickup is gonna fail somewhere when you expect it to do what it was not meant to do.

Reactions: Utah_Lariat_EB

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I'm comfy towing 8000 at 60 mph or less. When I get on an interstate and maintain 74 mph, I am in 4th and 6-12 psi boost. Pulling a big sail into the wind. Passing 54' trailers or being passed by them is no fun at all. Got some dialing-in to do with the WD/antisway hitch. I am right at 15% TW so wanna keep that. Tailend likes to wag above 60 mph. My TT is 29' and has the good newfangled axles and 16" wheels with Goodyear load C tires at max sidewall pressure. Rear kitchen, front bedroom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.