F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,027 Posts
According to the formula, and it's just physics, that extra foot of wheelbase would allow an additional 3' of trailer to equal the same lateral equivalent force.

The only flaw in the formula that I can see is it doesn't account for axle(s) location of the trailer in reference to the ball. (pivot point)

If the trailer grows by 3' but the axles stayed the same distance from the pivot point, that extra 3' would be a smaller increase in additional sway force than if the additional 3' also moved that axle farther from the ball.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay peeps. My first time posting here. Hopefully it will be a relevant point. My '16 SCAB tows my 33' Grand Coach of 11,000# like a boss. I'm equipped with Air Lift and Andersen hitch on self-installed Reese rails. Here's the issue: my xmission heats up to 260F on grades over 8 percent. Not seeing any posts such as this. Can anyone please help?
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
You're pulling something with the rough profile of a brick that's at the very max allowed for your truck (and I suspect that, loaded and wet, you are well over on every weight measurement) up an 8% grade and you're surprised that the trans is getting hot? The short term fix is to gear down and keep the trans from hunting. The long term fix is to upgrade to a truck properly equipped for that much trailer.

·
Premium Member
14,027 Posts
Impressive!
I love it.
Hopefully someone has good advice to address those transmission temps. At what temp would it be considered "cooked" and requiring fresh fill?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're pulling something with the rough profile of a brick that's at the very max allowed for your truck (and I suspect that, loaded and wet, you are well over on every weight measurement) up an 8% grade and you're surprised that the trans is getting hot? The short term fix is to gear down and keep the trans from hunting. The long term fix is to upgrade to a truck properly equipped for that much trailer.
But here's the real story: This truck towed the pictured trailer on flat-ish land with the air conditioner on and the cruise set at 80mph in a full Northern California Zephyr, for well over 100 miles, until the aforementioned grade, all with no overheating of the xmission. Confused.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Towing that at 80MPH is just asking for an up-close-and-personal demonstration of what's known as "the tail wagging the dog".

And yes, the amount of work and thus the heat generated trying to pull that brick up an 8% grade is substantially more than pulling it across flat land.

·
Registered
226 Posts
But here's the real story: This truck towed the pictured trailer on flat-ish land with the air conditioner on and the cruise set at 80mph in a full Northern California Zephyr, for well over 100 miles, until the aforementioned grade, all with no overheating of the xmission. Confused.
Load creates heat, increased load created by the grade increases heat, you tracking yet? The brodozer wheels and tires only add to the stress on the driveline and adds to the heat. And towing that mess at 80 whether you think the truck can handle it or not, in a panic situation someone is going to be hurt or killed and hopefully it's not the person you hit....

·
Premium Member
14,027 Posts
I'm curious if you were to drop below some threshold, which we don't exactly know what it is, if the transmission temps wouldn't climb so high?
Example: would 10mph, or 15mph less also create a lot less heat in the tranny fluid?
And would getting out of boost by dropping a gear or 2 and running higher RPMs help with less heat dumping into the coolant and thus extract more heat out of the tranny fluid? (assuming on your year model the tranny cooler is in the engine coolant loop)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious if you were to drop below some threshold, which we don't exactly know what it is, if the transmission temps wouldn't climb so high?
Example: would 10mph, or 15mph less also create a lot less heat in the tranny fluid?
And would getting out of boost by dropping a gear or 2 and running higher RPMs help with less heat dumping into the coolant and thus extract more heat out of the tranny fluid? (assuming on your year model the tranny cooler is in the engine coolant loop)
Well said, Snake. I was looking for just the type of engineering response you provided. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my transmission cooler, provided by Ford with the "Max Tow" package. The trailer is well within the tow capacity of my truck (12,700#) contrary to the nay say that some spew. I HARDLY ever pull up a hill like that, but was here looking for solutions to a rare issue thinking someone may have encountered the same thing. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Well said, Snake. I was looking for just the type of engineering response you provided. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my transmission cooler, provided by Ford with the "Max Tow" package. The trailer is well within the tow capacity of my truck (12,700#) contrary to the nay say that some spew. I HARDLY ever pull up a hill like that, but was here looking for solutions to a rare issue thinking someone may have encountered the same thing. Thanks for your time!
You sure about that? That's the 6.5' bed, is it not?
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

The max GCWR for that combination is 12,200lbs. Meaning your towing weight is 12,200 minus the weight of the loaded truck. We won't even get into the frontal area of that brick.

·
Premium Member
14,027 Posts
I'm just guessing, but I don't think anyone is questioning the tow capacity of your truck because we all have Ecoboosts here and we KNOW they can pull that RV!
But unless that is an HDPP F150, I think most here would assume you are over your Payload? (Cargo Capacity)

As for the transmission cooling, the post previous pointed out that you do not have an oem tranny cooler that exchanges heat with the engine coolant. So I guess you might have to consider some aftermarket approach to upgrade your transmission cooling capacity. There's a bunch of fellas here that have done it. Hopefully someone can contribute soon.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Where are you getting that 12700 figure ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Load creates heat, increased load created by the grade increases heat, you tracking yet? The brodozer wheels and tires only add to the stress on the driveline and adds to the heat. And towing that mess at 80 whether you think the truck can handle it or not, in a panic situation someone is going to be hurt or killed and hopefully it's not the person you hit....
Thanks for the post. Not the least bit constructive, but extremely graphic and condescending. Sheesh. Ask for a solution and get the bull with the horns.... Take it easy.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Thanks for the post. Not the least bit constructive, but extremely graphic and condescending. Sheesh. Ask for a solution and get the bull with the horns.... Take it easy.
You are starting out here on the wrong foot calling us spewing naysayers.
It's obvious your pickup is overloaded and you are pushing it beyond it's limits.
All is not lost.
Slowing down would be the least expensive start.

Reactions: Utah_Lariat_EB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Towing that at 80MPH is just asking for an up-close-and-personal demonstration of what's known as "the tail wagging the dog".

And yes, the amount of work and thus the heat generated trying to pull that brick up an 8% grade is substantially more than pulling it across flat land.
Had the trailer for over a year now, never had that effect. The truck is a tow-beast other than the occasional 10 mph 8 percent grade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are starting out here on the wrong foot calling us spewing naysayers.
It's obvious your pickup is overloaded and you are pushing it beyond it's limits.
All is not lost.
Slowing down would be the least expensive start.
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone. I was looking for constructive solutions, and received everything BUT pragmatic forward thinking. This trailer is well within the tow capacity of my truck. My GCVR is listed in Ford's documentation at 17,100#. Subtract 4800# for the truck, and get roughly 12,300#. Subtract people, gear, fluids, potentially 2000#, you get 10,300# for the trailer. My trailer unloaded is 8700#. Should have made this clearer.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone. I was looking for constructive solutions, and received everything BUT pragmatic forward thinking. This trailer is well within the tow capacity of my truck. My GCVR is listed in Ford's documentation at 17,100#. Subtract 4800# for the truck, and get roughly 12,300#. Subtract people, gear, fluids, potentially 2000#, you get 10,300# for the trailer. My trailer unloaded is 8700#. Should have made this clearer.
All we are saying is, just because you come up with a figure for max tow limit, doesn't mean no other limit, such as CCC, isn't breached. Also, you say "occasional 10 mph up an 8% grade. ??? I tow 8000 pounds up a 9% grade at 60 mph, no problem. 3rd gear. 6 speed. Gen 1 engine. You are overloading the pickup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All we are saying is, just because you come up with a figure for max tow limit, doesn't mean no other limit, such as CCC, isn't breached. Also, you say "occasional 10 mph up an 8% grade. ??? I tow 8000 pounds up a 9% grade at 60 mph, no problem. 3rd gear. 6 speed. Gen 1 engine. You are overloading the pickup.
Good for you. Thanks for the input. My truck is fine. I respect your opinion, but was looking for constructive solutions, which I thought for sure would be available here.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.