F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Sorry. I don't understand constructive decisions I guess. There is good advice here and that is what you have been given. The pickup is gonna fail somewhere when you expect it to do what it was not meant to do.

Reactions: Utah_Lariat_EB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone posted the Ecoboost torture test video recently (
), which was a good bit of marketing, but it also suggested that we could do things like what the OP is doing.

One of the tests was 10 miles at 6% grade at WOT, pulling a 9K trailer. OP’s unloaded trailer is 8700#, although the initial post sounded like he was towing an 11,000# trailer. Sounds like he’s outfitted it well, with Air Lift/Anderson hitch/Reese rails, and the truck looks level in pic.

So, I don’t want to see anyone in a dangerous situation, and the weight plus trailer length may be pushing the limits of the truck, but I’m also interested to see what can be safely done.

Also, I believe he meant that he had gone up a 10 mile climb of 8%, and not that he had the truck drop to 10 mph, but I could be wrong.

Relative to other things that you could do, a transmission cooler is pretty cheap, and removing as much heat as possible from the tranny will always be helpful. Finding a large area to mount one, that doesn’t obstruct air flow for other components, might be a challenge.

I don’t tow a whole lot, but it sounded like people were talking past each other a bit, so wanted to point it out, and I’m also curious to hear what others have been comfortable towing, as it’s a major selling point for the Ecoboost.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I'm comfy towing 8000 at 60 mph or less. When I get on an interstate and maintain 74 mph, I am in 4th and 6-12 psi boost. Pulling a big sail into the wind. Passing 54' trailers or being passed by them is no fun at all. Got some dialing-in to do with the WD/antisway hitch. I am right at 15% TW so wanna keep that. Tailend likes to wag above 60 mph. My TT is 29' and has the good newfangled axles and 16" wheels with Goodyear load C tires at max sidewall pressure. Rear kitchen, front bedroom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm comfy towing 8000 at 60 mph or less. When I get on an interstate and maintain 74 mph, I am in 4th and 6-12 psi boost. Pulling a big sail into the wind. Passing 54' trailers or being passed by them is no fun at all. Got some dialing-in to do with the WD/antisway hitch. I am right at 15% TW so wanna keep that. Tailend likes to wag above 60 mph. My TT is 29' and has the good newfangled axles and 16" wheels with Goodyear load C tires at max sidewall pressure. Rear kitchen, front bedroom.
Thanks for all of the details, and it’s good to get some real world feedback on what others are doing. We’ve been spoiled to have always had a one-ton dually in the family, which tows pretty much anything we need to move. We are not moving such big loads anymore, however, so I’m trying to make the case that it might be time to get something that actually fits in a normal parking space and can go through a car wash.

·
Registered
2022 F150 3.5
6 Posts
What do you think the wheelbase has to do with it ?
Wheel base does matter a bit. The longer wheel base you have the better the tow vehicle resist’s the trailer from lifting the front axle off the road which of course results in light steering. General rule of thumb is the first 110 inches of wheel base allows for a 20 ft trailer and after that add 1 ft of trailer for every extra 4 inches of wheel base. And of course lots of people go over that but it is proportional, so the more we exceed it the more it will affect our steering.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2022 F150 3.5
6 Posts
It is indeed the longest wheelbase no matter the configuration, but not sure why you quoted my comment?
So quoting someone’s comment just means adding it to the reply so the other person knows what your referring to. If your asking why I commented on your post well I was simply making conversation and maybe learning something from someone else if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I guess they axed that for for the fourteenth…couldn’t make the parking lots big enough to turn them around. Lol
Configurator says you can still get that configuration in a 22. Not sure about up there in Mööseland. The take rate on that configuration has to be single digits... makes one wonder if they have some big fleet customer that keeps it alive.

My other ride has a wheelbase north of 220", so my 6.5' SCrew seems nimble by comparison 🤣

·
Registered
2022 F150 3.5
6 Posts
Configurator says you can still get that configuration in a 22. Not sure about up there in Mööseland. The take rate on that configuration has to be single digits... makes one wonder if they have some big fleet customer that keeps it alive.

My other ride has a wheelbase north of 220", so my 6.5' SCrew seems nimble by comparison 🤣
Yeah I bet it does 😂.Your probably right, im sure that supercab with an 8 ft box is probably a good fleet truck. Don’t see to many around here.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.