F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did my spring full service, oil/filter change, clean the airbox and check the filter, suspension and running gear (front brakes 80% left rear 10% so new went on). And as normal I pulled the elbow on the intercooler cold side.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Font Asphalt
Grey Wood Road surface Art Tints and shades

End tank is dry with a small few drops on the bottom, the wiper is all the residue I could wipe from the intercooler and the elbow cold side pipe.
I do not think a hole would be much help, just nothing of a build up involved on my truck (CVF Titan intercooler and a silicone hose elbow connection, no catch can installed).
Ready now for a month of driving out west, visiting relatives and seeing the sights again! The hell with gas prices! KM

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If you’re just traveling, I would toss the shutters back in. That would help mitigate a lot of the condensation. Or have Casey adjust the shutter table to not be so aggressive.

Once I get back from my trip, I’ll share the modified table our FP calibrator did. More suited for hot environments while still being fully functional in cold environments.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you took me wrong, I was not concerned. There was no condensate only a few drops of oil. I reached in the intercooler far as I could with wipe rags to come out almost dry, most of the oil on the wipe came from the elbow and t6hat barely dripped any as I took it off. I see no need to worry about condensate/oil puddling in my intercooler. I put about 10 months use since I last had it off.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Font
A better photo with more flash. It's bone dry in there, down to the bottom plate. Only a few drops of oil. KM
KM

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,644 Posts
Butthead has been around a long time and posts enough that I feel like I know him.
So I pretty much understood the thread title, but that's why. :)

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,644 Posts
In all fairness, you won't be the only one. :)

·
Registered
9,077 Posts
The tiny little 4400 lb 2x4 RCSB might not need to be in boost much when cruising around, which means all crank case crud would be routing to the manifold(PCV side).

My 6400 lb(with the topper) 4x4 on 35's is almost continuously in boost, especially because I am at 6500'. Unless I am coasting down a hill my manifold pressure is almost continuously at or above ambient pressure which means a significant portion of the crank case venting is happening through the CCV side, which is whats going to send it into the turbos and intercooler. I get as much or more stuff in my CCV side catch can than the PCV side.

Speaking of that, I should empty my cans.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do "speak with twisted tongue" quite often.

Another past speak phrase. Pardon the hunor I use but the title is often asked, weep hole threads. Just mentioning the problem does not apply to all F150 EB's. KM

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tiny little 4400 lb 2x4 RCSB might not need to be in boost much when cruising around, which means all crank case crud would be routing to the manifold(PCV side).

My 6400 lb(with the topper) 4x4 on 35's is almost continuously in boost, especially because I am at 6500'. Unless I am coasting down a hill my manifold pressure is almost continuously at or above ambient pressure which means a significant portion of the crank case venting is happening through the CCV side, which is whats going to send it into the turbos and intercooler. I get as much or more stuff in my CCV side catch can than the PCV side.

Speaking of that, I should empty my cans.
Exactly!!! Light weight, low drag, little boost needed. KM

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
166 Posts
I do "speak with twisted tongue" quite often.

Another past speak phrase. Pardon the hunor I use but the title is often asked, weep hole threads. Just mentioning the problem does not apply to all F150 EB's. KM
I've posted that thread before, I think it was the very first thread I started here when I joined. I apologize for any offense or grief that thread caused you. I don't try to be an idiot, I just am one.

·
Premium Member
12,644 Posts
I've posted that thread before, I think it was the very first thread I started here when I joined. I apologize for any offense or grief that thread caused you. I don't try to be an idiot, I just am one.
I know for a fact that I don't speak for just myself when I say we are glad you found this place and carved out a space for yourself to reside. :)

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
If yall can put up with me yall can put up with anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
This thread reminded me of a old thread a while back. Yes almost 500 post 🤦🏻‍♂️ LOL

·
Premium Member
12,644 Posts
It's definitely been discussed. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
9,077 Posts
This thread reminded me of a old thread a while back. Yes almost 500 post LOL
The second post is classic

• Haha
Reactions: Boatwaco and Mr B

·
Registered
2013 F-150 xlt screw 4x4 3.5l 3.31
13 Posts
although the hole may not be as effective as the catch can i believe it is a big help. I done this to my 13 and after a few days my rough idle was smoothed out and it constantly stays wet around where i drilled the hole which tells me its doing its job.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
1,703 Posts
I think you took me wrong, I was not concerned. There was no condensate only a few drops of oil. I reached in the intercooler far as I could with wipe rags to come out almost dry, most of the oil on the wipe came from the elbow and t6hat barely dripped any as I took it off. I see no need to worry about condensate/oil puddling in my intercooler. I put about 10 months use since I last had it off. View attachment 178374 A better photo with more flash. It's bone dry in there, down to the bottom plate. Only a few drops of oil. KM
KM
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Automotive design Rim

World Font Publication Advertising News

Reminds me of back when my intercooler/boot was looking like this. This was due to my stock turbos failing because I don’t have any issues like this now with the brand new cores on the stage 2 turbos.
And I had a hole in the intercooler…

Reactions: butthead

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Matt, as I figure not much for me to worry as I had to work at it to get what I showed. KM

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
1,703 Posts
Thanks Matt, as I figure not much for me to worry as I had to work at it to get what I showed. KM
Good. Yeah I literally popped the boot off and oil just poured out. Also I had oil in my passenger side turbo just between the rubber boot and the actual compressor housing. It was obvious some seals were totally shot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts