F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just remember, there's only a very very small percentage of these trucks with high miles on the roads running catch cans, very small.
I've seen a few high mileage 1st Gen 3.5's torn down and it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. Will they hurt? Nah, only if they freeze up or overfill or a check valve goes bad.
Also as mentioned the ones that mount in the grill are great for creating their own condensation!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
They all create condensation because they are quite literally a water separator. Think industrial air compressor. If my f150 pressurized and stored air I would install one. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I’m not gonna install a nuisance item like that on a $40,000 truck. Nor am I willing to spend my time babysitting something that may needs draining every time I fill up. In less than 3 years I’ve put 100k on my truck if you want to waste your time adding extra nipples to a bull, it’s your money have at it. But it is by no means necessary. Poll the high mileage guys most of us actually treat our trucks like trucks, and I would wager most don’t have cans, and are happy to report their trucks are still running fine.
No one said it was absolutely necessary or that YOU had to do it. Just don't act like you have the one and only answer, because you don't.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No one said it was absolutely necessary or that YOU had to do it. Just don't act like you have the one and only answer, because you don't.
Did you read the title of this thread? Any answer other than no would be saying it is necessary. I said No and you argued otherwise if you are changing your position that’s your choice but own your statements for what they are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get your intake valves cleaned Ford has an approved process now. It’s a foam detergent.
Do you happen to know what Ford is calling this service? Just asked the service department about having this done and he kept wanting to sell me an induction cleaning. Showed him this thread and he had no idea.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Did you read the title of this thread? Any answer other than no would be saying it is necessary. I said No and you argued otherwise if you are changing your position that’s your choice but own your statements for what they are.
Sorry, I didnt care enough to read your response back then.

I read the thread and there are not just black or white, yes or no answers. I don’t live in a binary world. Almost everything is a compromise in one way or another. Thats all I said. The pros of a catch can outweigh the cons in an 11-16 3.5 Ecoboost for me. Im also able to take 30 seconds after pulling into the driveway to drain it every few weeks. It's pretty easy.

I have a catch can and quite literally “own” it.

Also, reading back, what does driving 500 miles through a rain storm have anything to do with a catch can? How would a catch can be affected by a rain storm in any way? The primary byproduct of combustion is water and some of that blows by the rings, along with a bunch of other crap. That's what the can catches. I live in Utah where it barely ever rains and I get plenty of stuff in my catch can. Some of it is water, some of it is oil, and some of it is gasoline, and then who knows what else.

181 - 185 of 185 Posts