F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the common bolt-ons and GT turbos, what am I really leaving on the table in terms of power by not adding ported or full bore manifolds? I have seen threads that touch on this and a dyno chart from CRP but not much unbiased proof.

Currently installed mods: Tunes (currently waiting on the starter GT turbo tune), Down pipes, Intercooler, hot & cold side pipes, Turbosmart BOV, CAI, catback, thermostat.

Sitting on the bench to install: GT turbos and SPD adapters.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
With all the common bolt-ons and GT turbos, what am I really leaving on the table in terms of power by not adding ported or full bore manifolds? I have seen threads that touch on this and a dyno chart from CRP but not much unbiased proof.

Currently installed mods: Tunes (currently waiting on the starter GT turbo tune), Down pipes, Intercooler, hot & cold side pipes, Turbosmart BOV, CAI, catback, thermostat.

Sitting on the bench to install: GT turbos and SPD adapters.
How far are you planning to take it? The GT’s are capable of more than the generally accepted 450 rwhp limit. If you are just gunna stop there, then you probably dont need em.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not planning on going past that, when it comes time to redo the shortblock I may want to go further and I would probably add manifolds and an upgraded HPFP.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
It's a while you're in there item. Also, ecoboost prone to breaking rear stud/manifold warp.

I would not use stock manifolds when they're prone to warp.

Opening up some pre turbo flow will also help efficiency.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Only speculation and anecdote on what you gain with the ported manifolds, but what do you gain by leaving it stock? Some $ but not much time. Just devils advocate.

I think its a while-you're-in-there upgrade like Woo stated, and they may benefit reliability not just performance. I liked the idea of better flow out of the head and cylinder, better flow into the turbine, thicker flange for warp resistance, and slightly longer studs for less stretch.

If you plan to replace them eventually, then probably sooner the better in regards to seizing/ stripping.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I would agree with the above. If you can tackle this while swapping turbos, it's a nice bonus. I have run both stock ported and currently have CRP manifolds. The main benefit IMO is getting the expanding gases out faster/easier.

I'm a little on the fence about actual performance benefit. I see the larger exit on the turbos side as being beneficial, but the larger openings on the head side really don't transition well from the head and may actually cause turbulence.

Summary
CRP = good if you can do it while doing turbos.
Ported Stock/SPD = meh, maybe some performance gain, but same chance of warping as OEM.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I would agree with the above. If you can tackle this while swapping turbos, it's a nice bonus. I have run both stock ported and currently have CRP manifolds. The main benefit IMO is getting the expanding gases out faster/easier.

I'm a little on the fence about actual performance benefit. I see the larger exit on the turbos side as being beneficial, but the larger openings on the head side really don't transition well from the head and may actually cause turbulence.

Summary
CRP = good if you can do it while doing turbos.
Ported Stock/SPD = meh, maybe some performance gain, but same chance of warping as OEM.
I kinda wonder about the flow too. I just dont see the huge need if you are slamming those gases into a turbine anyways but maybe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input all!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You don’t need them just like you don’t ‘need’ GT turbos. But why go through the trouble of turbos and skimp on manifolds that’re likely to warp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
I tell you what... I bought a set of ported/coated manifolds from @2016BoostedGreyGoose a while back and they...wait, I haven't put them on yet. Had I known how much was in the way I wouldn't have bought them. I'll either hold them until I need to replace the turbos or post them for sale some day.
Not saying anything bad about them or BGG (he didn't lead me astray), just that I wouldn't replace the turbos and not do the extra while I was in there if I had the extra $$.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i havent done the turbo upgrade yet. Maybe someday when its not my DD. But after having studs break on one side and a turbo/manifold gasket go on the other, I said enough was enough and bought the CRP just for the benefit of not warping. And now im future proofed... I hope.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don’t need them just like you don’t ‘need’ GT turbos. But why go through the trouble of turbos and skimp on manifolds that’re likely to warp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure I need the GTs....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
R0bCincy
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing