F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question back in July regarding a know that I heard while at idle. Many suggested that it was the injectors. You were correct, I heard the injectors but I also heard the knock. I took my FX4 Ecoboost into the dealer for the 3K mile check and let the maint tech listen to the engine knock. He heard it and worked with Ford to go through a large list of possible options. After three weeks and a brand new Ecoboost engine in my FX4, it was a wrist pin failure in the #2 cylinder. Ford paid for everything including three weeks of a F150 5.0L rental. I have driven it two days now and it is much more quiet and seems to have better performance. Time will tell regarding longevity. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Man, that's good to hear.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Kuddo's to Ford for steeping up. Glad to hear you you are a happy Eco maniac again.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Glad it got taken care of! Sorry you went through all of that!

SPPD

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good to know that it all worked out for you.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I posted a question back in July regarding a know that I heard while at idle. Many suggested that it was the injectors. You were correct, I heard the injectors but I also heard the knock. I took my FX4 Ecoboost into the dealer for the 3K mile check and let the maint tech listen to the engine knock. He heard it and worked with Ford to go through a large list of possible options. After three weeks and a brand new Ecoboost engine in my FX4, it was a wrist pin failure in the #2 cylinder. Ford paid for everything including three weeks of a F150 5.0L rental. I have driven it two days now and it is much more quiet and seems to have better performance. Time will tell regarding longevity. I will keep you all posted.
I know a number of Chevy Owners had a mysterious knock in the LS engines used in their trucks since around 1999 ... I have even heard it on a friends truck which is much different noise than the injectors noise. In fact, it was that "knock" that made me not consider a Chevy (though I'm sure they have fixed it). Heck, I too hear a slight knock which is consistent with all the injectors noise I've heard in the vehicles with port and direct injection I've owned over the last 25 years.

His engine is out of warranty but some research has shown the knock is typcially related to the wrist pins. I read a lot of "armchair theories" why the wrist pins are failing. The most consistent opinion is manufacturers are moving to very short pistons with short distances between the ring landings.

I will keep my ears open for any "other knocks".

·
Registered
523 Posts
The referenced knock in the GM engines was related to the build tolerance of the short skirt hyperutetic pistons used in these engines. On cold starts he pistons would rock in the bore at the bottom and top of the stroke until enough heat was absorbed into the piston material expanded, the rocking in bore quelled and the noise dissipated.

The knock in this application wasn't a durability issue, there were a handful of incidents of which was related to the knock, but it was far from a considerable failure rate issue.

Finding an internal engine integrity issue isn't comforting, but so far, least from enthusiast boards at this time it seems to be isolated.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yep, them hyperutetic pistons will get ye every time. Especially if they're short skirted.

sorry, joemac, I ain't got nary a clue. Just glad old Denmtn got his engine replaced! No real congratulation to Ford though, they only did what was right. I was raised not to expect thanks for just doing what a decent human is expected to do. I'm a geezer though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts