F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a 2013 F150 Ecoboost SCrew FX4. I have 2500 miles on it so far. My previous ride was a 2001 F250 with a 7.3L. I thought I gave up the engine knocking, however, it sounds like it followed me to the Ecoboost. Does anyone else hear that knock while at idle? Is this normal? If so, what is it caused by?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I hear the noise too. It is completely normal to hear the injectors firing in a direct injection vehicle. Direct injection engines use incredibly high pressure pumps and injectors. The knocking sound is absolutely normal. It will be louder after a cold start than with a warm engine. This is my second DI turbo vehicle and they both make the ticking sound.

SPPD

·
Registered
495 Posts
I find that the sound difference in the A/C between 2 & 3 is amazing... And my Sync Gal cannot understand me if the fan is on 4!
LOL!

On a road trip currently, and saw 103 today. Eek!

·
Registered
311 Posts
From the outside of the vehicle, I can hear the injectors at idle with my truck at idle. It is very close to the way that our Chevy Traverse sounds which is also a DI engine.

I cannot hear the tickign of the injectors from from the inside of the vehicle and have yet to hear any trace of good old fashioned spark knock under power.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I hear it in my 2011 more so with the windows down and at the Tim Hortons drive thru.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I hear the noise too. It is completely normal to hear the injectors firing in a direct injection vehicle. Direct injection engines use incredibly high pressure pumps and injectors. The knocking sound is absolutely normal. It will be louder after a cold start than with a warm engine. This is my second DI turbo vehicle and they both make the ticking sound.

SPPD
Yes, I can hear the injectors when I step outside or raise the hood ... but not as loud as a "worn out lifter on an old Chevy".

But I never here it inside the cab of the truck...idling or driving. I have to be outside the truck.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I've been noticing a sound at idle when I'm inside of cab, almost reminds me of the old trucks, it's not a tick but more of a real low rhythmic thump. thump, thump, thump..
when I put my ear to the hood I cant hear it so I'm thinking exhaust? Also cant hear it when I listen near the tail pipe.
This has probably been there all a long just paranoid now due to all those WOT data logs I had to do for a tuner.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
almost sounds like a faint v8 exhaust sound or something, bub, bub, bub, bub, bub.....

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
I've been noticing a sound at idle when I'm inside of cab, almost reminds me of the old trucks, it's not a tick but more of a real low rhythmic thump. thump, thump, thump..
when I put my ear to the hood I cant hear it so I'm thinking exhaust? Also cant hear it when I listen near the tail pipe.
This has probably been there all a long just paranoid now due to all those WOT data logs I had to do for a tuner.
video or liar !!!!

Sent from my non using Tapatalk in 🇨🇦

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
video or liar !!!!

Sent from my non using Tapatalk in 
LOL, I tried to get it on video but it's so faint can't really hear in on video, I think it's got to be exhaust, maybe a slight leak?
Everything seems normal though power wise and what not.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
25 Participants
Sirikenewtron
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing