F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've posted I have a new TT that is #2000 heavier and 4' longer than my old TT.. Towed that old TT like a champ and no worry about power.

Got the new trailer out and while it handled just fine, I was a bit surprised at the need for a lot more power on the grades and I can now see where those threads about overheating coming to light!

I have never seen my coolant temps rise so fast on the grades as I did with this #7000 TT... I mean, WOW.. I got up to *225 on the same grades I towed the #5000 TT on and only get to *210 and that was taking it easy..

I had to shift to 3rd and slow down to around 50 mph to keep the temps under *220 and the outside temps was only in the low 80's..

As long as I can keep the boost under around 6-7 psi, it'll run in the *205 range on the flats in 5th and going 65 mph. Hit any grade or even a slight rise, it would downshift to 4th.

I'm totally stock and was only running reg 87 fuel (Shell or Chevron).

I had the power, but had to manage it to keep the temps down.. My trans temps never went over *210, but it was the coolant temps that surprised me the most.

I have the Torque Pro phone app to monitor everything so that's how I know the temps and such.

Going to try premium fuel on the next trip out in a couple of weeks and see what that does.. I have tried it in the past with the #5000 TT and it didn't make any difference, but maybe with this heavier trailer it might?

Anyway, got 9 mpg with the new TT compared to 10 mpg with the old.

Still impressed with the way it handled, as it was rock steady so maybe just a need to get used to the added weight and I never did have to flat foot the pedal and it still gets up to speed on the hwy on-ramps just fine, so the power is there.. Just gets HOT a lot faster! :)

Mitch

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Yep. You describe what others have while towing with stock layout under the hood.

Now you might consider a couple of the mods Dan & Meaz have made concerning cooling management?

In summary, fan programming and tranny cooler enhancement. I don't think either of them had to spend much money on it, nor a lot of work. Rather they were methodical and logical about it.

You have the luxury of leveraging their research and efforts. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Mitch....by far one of the best tow mods I've done is... the "Bad454SS High Speed Fan Setup"
I absolutely swear by it!
By manually switching the fans to high speed as soon as you pull out of your driveway it helps bring the radiator /engine temps down quickly while pulling a long grade.
I also pulled the OEM trans cooler away from the radiator so it wasnt absorbing the heat immediately....works great for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Meaz to the rescue!

The ambassador of Ecoboost BIG towing. :)

(and a bit crazy for doing so)

·
Administrator
9,584 Posts
Mitch....by far one of the best tow mods I've done is... the "Bad454SS High Speed Fan Setup"
I absolutely swear by it!
By manually switching the fans to high speed as soon as you pull out of your driveway it helps bring the radiator /engine temps down quickly while pulling a long grade.
I also pulled the OEM trans cooler away from the radiator so it wasnt absorbing the heat immediately....works great for me.
I know it's probably been covered in the 17 overheating while towing threads, but can't the fans just be turned on high with tuning?

I'm lazy when it comes to wiring and electrical type of modifications. Lol

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Problem with that is the fans would be blasting around town 24-7 when you might not want them to (aka bank drive through); meaning you'd have to jump out of your tow tune to go back to normal....well high fans all the time not so bad in the AZ> August!-lol
I had 5* turn mine on ASAP in every tune, but still they do not come on high right away....its way better now that I control it!
PS....Snake is all over it. 👍

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,584 Posts
Problem with that is the fans would be blasting around town 24-7 when you might not want them to (aka bank drive through); meaning you'd have to jump out of your tow tune to go back to normal....well high fans all the time not so bad in the AZ> August!-lol
I had 5* turn mine on ASAP in every tune, but still they do not come on high right away....its way better now that I control it!
PS....Snake is all over it.
I only run it while towing though, and I don't really scoot around town with the travel trailer just for the heck of it. Lol. For towing other loads I have prior revisions.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Lol, 225, please. If I don't hit 240 on a trip its probably <60F outside. Just the other day I was climbing a grade on the way to Jackson, WY. It was only 76F at the top and I still hit 245F. And that was trying to use the high rpm/low boost approach by running it in 3rd at >4000 rpm.

I am hesitant to pursue the "solutions" such as the larger radiators, and other items. I just don't know if they really are solutions.

Having to tow at 50mph when the engine easily has the power to pull hills at 80(if you wanted to, not saying I do) is infuriating to say the least.

·
Administrator
9,584 Posts

Yeah my tow tunes get loaded up for a trip. Probably stay on for the duration of the trip, then back to something else after I unhitch at home.

I might run into a situation on the vacation where I'm in a town and the fans are on but they don't make nearly as much noise as the old 7.3 fans. Doesn't bother me that much.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I know it's probably been covered in the 17 overheating while towing threads, but can't the fans just be turned on high with tuning?

I'm lazy when it comes to wiring and electrical type of modifications. Lol

I have bought parts to try and do a fan mod that allows manual and PCM control at the same time. I found a 3 way switch that leaves both the low & high terminals on when in high mode(just like the PCM does). This should allow manual low speed/high speed, and when the switch is off, full PCM control.

The nice thing is, the PCM is simply grounding the relays so there is no need to be playing around with any power source. All you do is ground the switch and tie that to the relay.

but like you, I am lazy and its just been sitting in the garage for the last 2 months.

·
Administrator
9,584 Posts
I would need VERY specific instructions or I don't think I could tackle it. I don't have immediate plans to make any changes. So far, I have no issues. But, I do pull a trailer that is about 1k shy of my max so I want to be ready if and when.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I haven't towed BIG enough to get hot, even when I'm flying up the grade past all the other tow-ers. (which is one of the BEST things about Ecoboosting in a ½ton with a RV hitched behind ya)

But I still wanna have manual control over those fans just for the ability to compare results. Seems like 230 is about as hot as I have gotten and immediately it drops as the grade goes back in my favor. But at some point I might get a bigger RV, so.......

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, that's where I'm at too... Sure the temps are rising faster than I've seen before, but it does cool down pretty quick too when you can get out of the boost..

I did find that the higher rpms and less boost would actually drop the temp a few degrees while still pulling the grade. Once the boost is in the 8-10 range, that's when it seems to rise the fastest and the AF goes in the 12 range.

All in all, it was only it's first trip.. I did rip out the factory CAC covers that was on the top of it... I did notice the IAT2 temps go up pretty good too under higher boost levels.. I doubt it will do anything, but heck, it's another MOD in my mind! ha, ha! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and I am paying a lot more attention to the overheating threads now!

Never did have the trans temps go any higher than I've seen before, so that's something!

Mitch

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some pics of the new rig in the camp site..

Mitch

·
Administrator
9,584 Posts
Slide outs are the difference makers! My old camper was a 27' fifth wheel with no slide. My new is a 26 with one slide. The new camper is SO much nicer at breakfast time, bed time, and on a rainy day when we're all moving around in there or lounging around together.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mitch, I wouldn't be worried at all. These motors run hotter than older design motors. 225f is when the fans hit high speed on the stock programming. I was hitting 245ECT/240TFT before I upgraded my trans cooler. Meaz pushes his even harder/further!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's amazing the number of people that think no fan can help at 60 mph.
They would no this isn't true if they had ever had the fan come on in a Class 8 pulling at 65 mph plus and drop temps 15F in less than 30 seconds despite the heat from 28 psi of boost.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts