F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new 2013 fx4 f150 3.5 v6 ecoboost two days ago. When going 60 mph for 20 minutes I was getting 17.1 mpg average! Where is the 20-22 mpg average that everybody is talking about? This vehicle is fully loaded but stock as well I have not done anything to it. Does the gas mileage get better after you get "x" amount of miles on the truck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
3.73s?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mine hasn't improved much since new. Mileage went up 1-2 with tune but dropped 1-2 with downpipes. Cruising at 60 still gets 21 though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Mine went down after break-in, but probably because I went mod crazy and cant keep mt foot out of it.

Seriously it should get a little better. I consistantly get 17-18 city and 20-22ish hwy, but Im a 2wd fully loaded XLT. The 4X4 adds quite a bit of weight and drag.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mine went down after break-in, but probably because I went mod crazy and cant keep mt foot out of it.

Seriously it should get a little better. I consistantly get 17-18 city and 20-22ish hwy, but Im a 2wd fully loaded XLT. The 4X4 adds quite a bit of weight and drag.
I have a 13 XLT and until the temps dropped I'm right in line with what you are seeing.
Winters cold temps took mine down to around 14 around town and maybe 18 highway. But even with the temps at 32 my last trip to Maine netted me 19.5 up and 18 back into a strong headwind.
The only mod I have is leveling shocks in the front. Some have seen a change with a level, I did not.
I also went full synthetic on my first oil change at 2500 miles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine gets 19-20 on a 35 minute commute to work and back, but that is driving it easy. If you get into the turbos, you will see a drop in your mpg. The only time I got 22 mpg was on a 600 mile trip.

This is with a 2013 FX4.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a FX4 (3.73) and now with 43,000 miles my overall average is 16 mpg. I recently added a CAI and catback and mileage has improved, but only about 1 mpg.

I did get 19 mpg on my recent trip to see my son in Victoria Texas, and that is the best I've ever seen.

The window sticker estimated 15 and 21 for this model which is not realistic, especially if you travel faster than 60 on the highway, have a somewhat heavy foot...but given the trade off of performance and quality built I'll take the more accurate 14 and 19 range.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Mileage went up 1-2 with tune but dropped 1-2 with downpipes. Cruising at 60 still gets 21 though.
I agree 100% here Joe. My milage went down a bit with the Down pipe install, but I dont worry about mpg. Think of the poor suckers with Hemi's and 6.2's, and Yota 5.7. They would dream to even get close to getting the power and mpg we are getting. lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
On my truck the first 1000k was poor mileage. Heard a rumor they are set to burn a little rich for break In. But not sure if that is true or not. Mine is a 2013 xlt super crew 6.5 box 3.55gears, 4x4, off-road package. Was getting 19 after break in. Put a tonneau cover on , now getting 21. have 10k on truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got 6,650 miles on the 3.5 boost Fastest truck I've ever owned,But the gas mileage sucks. 17.3 tops 300 mile trip.Coulda had a V8.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a FX4 (3.73) and now with 43,000 miles my overall average is 16 mpg. I recently added a CAI and catback and mileage has improved, but only about 1 mpg.

I did get 19 mpg on my recent trip to see my son in Victoria Texas, and that is the best I've ever seen.

The window sticker estimated 15 and 21 for this model which is not realistic, especially if you travel faster than 60 on the highway, have a somewhat heavy foot...but given the trade off of performance and quality built I'll take the more accurate 14 and 19 range.
My best MPG was during a trip with the cruise set to 69mph when I saw 21.5 on a 600 miles trip which included about 50 miles each way through some decent hills.
Although I'm very disappointed with the winter economy, I am overall happy with what I get in warm weather. I've just done an oil change and switched to 0-30 Mobil 1. Hoping for a little more improvement.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I started out decent, but after adding the level and the new wheels and Toyo MT's I see 17 tops on the hwy. In town if I keep my foot out of it I'll see 14-15 in the winter if its not bone chilling, I went for 2-3 months in the mid to high 12's when we had neg weather. Mileage sucks on these until you get the trans warmed up.
Starting to rethink the wheel/tire combo but it looks so bad ass

Reactions: outlaw25

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Ya, if I had to do it all over again I would have lost the 04 F-350 and the Xterra and bought a new F-350 plow truck with the 6.7.
Some will say not but I personally know two people who are getting low to mid 20's on the highway and high teens around town.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I found my mileage improved slightly as it got miles on it - 18 to 21 on the highway. But dropped when I got it tuned. But I don't blame the tune ... I blame the driver for having too much fun with the right foot. There is NO WAY I can drive hundreds of miles on the winding mountain highways where I live without passing some slowpoke (make that lots of slowpokes).

But, as others said before, I would hate to think what my mileage would be if I had a big V8 and I was doing the same.

If I am overly concerned about gas and mileage, I can always drive the wife's Honda Civic. But I enjoy my F150 so much more.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396835892.530035.jpg well we had a post-season skeet shoot today so I drove down to mom and dads to pick dad up then to sandy lake to the shoot then back home. It was between 100-120 miles round trip (forgot to look at the trip). I averaged about 18.5 mpg. All up and down curvy back roads, not babying it at all. I was pretty darn happy with that. I think it's finally gettin broke in. But now that I'm gonna be driving the 2 mile trip to work it'll be back down to 12-14 mpg I bet.

KCCO!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Ha, 2 mile trip to work, noticed you had one of those disposable cars (kia) why not take that?
Me once the warm weather is here the KLR650 comes out and I commute to the job site with that, smiling all the way getting 45mpg.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Got 14mpg for my normal drive pre-tune and get 15.4 now with the mods listed. Does what i expected out of a fullsize pickup. Long trip mileage will probably be in the 20's see in how I averaged 13.5 with 10k behind it at 60mph for 1400 miles.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Ha, 2 mile trip to work, noticed you had one of those disposable cars (kia) why not take that?
Me once the warm weather is here the KLR650 comes out and I commute to the job site with that, smiling all the way getting 45mpg.
I take it you haven't looked at these new Kias that are made in America too much eh?

KCCO!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts