F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2013 Screw max tow. Ive got about 1300 miles on it and Im pretty disappointed with the mileage Im getting. I drive about 25 miles to work every day, mostly at highway speeds with 2 stop signs. I run 60 on the 2 lanes and 70 on the interstate. Im getting 14mpg. Does the mileage really improve with miles on the truck? Is it just too early to worry about it? I was really hoping to be at least close to the 15/17/21 the window sticker stated

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have a new 2013 Screw max tow. Ive got about 1300 miles on it and Im pretty disappointed with the mileage Im getting. I drive about 25 miles to work every day, mostly at highway speeds with 2 stop signs. I run 60 on the 2 lanes and 70 on the interstate. Im getting 14mpg. Does the mileage really improve with miles on the truck? Is it just too early to worry about it? I was really hoping to be at least close to the 15/17/21 the window sticker stated

The mileage should improve. I have a very similar truck and I get around 18 driving like you do. If you can keep below 70 you mileqge will improve. These trucks are very sensitive to speed, temperature, and wind. I got 19.5 going from my house to St. Ignace, MI. and back over labor day weekend. I got 16.5 pulling my boat to Canada and back last June. Hopefully you will see better MPG's with warmer weather, more miles, and lower speeds.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Winter gas sucks too. It will definately improve. Prob won't see the 21 on the sticker but 19 or so.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
What mods do you have? With my mods, I'm averaging 65-70 mph (35 miles each way) I'm getting 17-17.5 mpg.

Around town I get between 14-15 mpg, during the weekends, but when I start work on Monday, it climbs back up
to 17.5 mpg by Friday.

I'm using a 50/50 mix of dino oil and Mobile I. . .at 5000 miles I will change to full synthetic Mobil I. I currently
have 4000 miles on my truck

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've noticed my last few fill-ups have been awful so it must be the mix of winter gas. I believe I'm getting around 14-15 in town right now.

Winter gas sucks too. It will definately improve. Prob won't see the 21 on the sticker but 19 or so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
took a trip to southern mo. to go muzzle loader hunting 196 miles, left thursday morning temp was around 20s, as usual going west bound on I-44, up a long slow ascending ridge with cold temps kept mileage down for the entire trip down, came up with 16.7 left saturday at noon for trip home 55-60 degree temps, stayed at speed limit 55 and 65 when i hit I-44 east bound stayed speed at 72-74 came up with 19.5 mileage.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
forgot to mention I have 11000 miles on the beast

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The mileage should improve. I have a very similar truck and I get around 18 driving like you do. If you can keep below 70 you mileqge will improve. These trucks are very sensitive to speed, temperature, and wind. I got 19.5 going from my house to St. Ignace, MI. and back over labor day weekend. I got 16.5 pulling my boat to Canada and back last June. Hopefully you will see better MPG's with warmer weather, more miles, and lower speeds.
Good to know. It looks like you have basically the same truck I do except for the topper, And you are in close to the same climate as I am. I see listed in your signature "electronic rust proofing". How does that work?

Id be extremely happy with a 17-18 average. the 14 Im getting now is disappointing. One of the reasons I traded my diesel is the 14mpg and 4.00 fuel

What mods do you have? With my mods, I'm averaging 65-70 mph (35 miles each way) I'm getting 17-17.5 mpg.

Around town I get between 14-15 mpg, during the weekends, but when I start work on Monday, it climbs back up
to 17.5 mpg by Friday.

I'm using a 50/50 mix of dino oil and Mobile I. . .at 5000 miles I will change to full synthetic Mobil I. I currently
have 4000 miles on my truck
No mods, and probably wont ever have any. I plan to run Mobil1 when it comes time for the 1st oil change. I always ran Mobil1 in my 03 Cobra

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I got 22mpg @ 55-65pmh from Charlotte to DC. From DC to WI I was doing 65-70mph and got 17mpg. It was during a cold snap and I'm positive they had switched to winter mix already up further north -- I was still at 21mpg until my fill up in NW PA.

Edit: 5k miles on the truck at that point.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The other thing is, when it's really cold out, there is a lot more fuel consumption initially to get everything warm, a 25mi drive if you're parked cold driveway-cold lot could be a pretty big factor too.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Mine improved a lot over time.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I forgot to mention in my earlier post my MPG when pulling my travel trailer. It goes down to about 8MPG.
Also, I have almosty 18000 on my truck now.
To, answer your other question about electronic rust proofing. I am told that it works the same as what is used on bridges. A small electrical charge is pulsed throughout the truck every few seconds. This is the fifth truck that I have had it on. The previous four showed no rust after over 100,000 miles each and as much as seven years old. It used to be called Rust Evader. You can look it up on the internet. Many people are doubters but, I have had very good results with it. The unit that is on my "BOOSTIE" is simply called "electronic rust proofing". My dealer had it installed for me when I bought the truck in November of 2012.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I forgot to mention in my earlier post my MPG when pulling my travel trailer. It goes down to about 8MPG.
Also, I have almosty 18000 on my truck now.
To, answer your other question about electronic rust proofing. I am told that it works the same as what is used on bridges. A small electrical charge is pulsed throughout the truck every few seconds. This is the fifth truck that I have had it on. The previous four showed no rust after over 100,000 miles each and as much as seven years old. It used to be called Rust Evader. You can look it up on the internet. Many people are doubters but, I have had very good results with it. The unit that is on my "BOOSTIE" is simply called "electronic rust proofing". My dealer had it installed for me when I bought the truck in November of 2012.
Wayne. Where do you live? State only.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
My mileage has only gotten better in the winter. Snowy roads you can't always floor it ;) #leadfoot

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Ok. Cause I was gonna say. If it was Texas. How could anything rust ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just bought my EB on Thursday. 2011 SCREW 4WD OFFROAD, 3.73 Max Tow. I picked it up about 100 miles from my house. 70% hwy/30 city. I got 16MPG (hand calculated) on my first fill up. I'll attribute this to WI winter gas. 17k on the truck.

I'm resetting the ECU right now so it learns my driving style vs. The lot jockeys/previous owners style.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst

·
Registered
3 Posts
It takes 15 to 20 miles just to get the truck to operating temps. Your miles per gallon will be terrible until the trans temp is at normal operating temps. So you're probably getting great mileage for about five miles of your trip to or from work.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Reactions: 2Canches
1 - 20 of 48 Posts