F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant say that my truck has always done this but i have noticed over the last 15k miles it seems like the engine is pretty noisy when sitting and idling. I pulled up to the house today and left it running and couldnt believe how it sounded. To me it sounds like total crap.. When i am inside the truck driving or sitting at a light i dont hear anything. Can yal tell me if this is a normal sounding Ecobeast or is it time to start worrying?

Looking forward to yals opinions

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not normal. Bring it in for warranty if ya still have it. Do you have a ford filter and oil in it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes Motorcraft 5w30 and Motorcraft filter changed at every 5k by the dealer. Have 25,000 miles on the truck

Just listened to the video again and on the passenger side seems like i hear a distinctive tapping or ticking, anyone else hear that.. Dont hear it as much on the left side

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Timing chain slap maybe. ..idk just a guess. Have u checked oil? Whats the level and what does it look like?

got to get it!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havent checked the oil, just got it changed 2500 miles ago. May be a good idea to check.

Still has plenty of power, getting good fuel mileage etc.. Just sounds crappy

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As stated its been doing it for a while now, guess after owning 2 3valve 5.4s that clanked and rattled due to cam phasers i was just thinking it was somewhat normal.. Now im thinking its not normal.

Will someone else by chance take a video sort of like i did in the same areas so i can compare?? May help also with ford if they tell me its normal.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I listened to my truck run today for comparison. There is a tapping/clicking present but no where near as loud and pronounced as your truck has.
Thanks, I think im going to take it in to the ford dealer this upcoming week, even though i have a feeling im going to get the "its normal" speech.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sounds like an exhaust leak, maybe the exhaust manifold gasket. Others have had the problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i put the truck back on stock and it sounds basically normal now.. So i guess it doesnt like the 91 octane tune anymore :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Direct injection. Mine always made that noise. Yours seems pretty loud though. A couple months after I bought mine I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal and I listened to a few off the lot and could hear the same thing but mine was more pronounced. I have 76000 miles and it hasn't changed.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
so i put the truck back on stock and it sounds basically normal now.. So i guess it doesnt like the 91 octane tune anymore :(
What tune were you running?

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes Motorcraft 5w30 and Motorcraft filter changed at every 5k by the dealer. Have 25,000 miles on the truck

Just listened to the video again and on the passenger side seems like i hear a distinctive tapping or ticking, anyone else hear that.. Dont hear it as much on the left side
Mine has made that same noise on the passenger side for at least 15000 miles and I have even heard it on the drivers side a couple of times, only at idle. I used to always worry about it, but it hasn't got any worse and it drives and sounds fine while driving or revving up. I thought about the timing chain too, but you would think that you would have other symptoms if it was the timing chain.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What tune were you running?

Black Sheep of the Family
91 performance 5 star tune from stage 3

So it was just your tune?
I put it back to stock and it sounded normal, drove it a couple days and still sounded good so I loaded the canned 87 sct tune and still sounds normal. havent went back to the 91 5 star tune yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts