F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the 4" cat back heartthrob yesterday, the turbos sounded awesome! Just a little to loud. I wish I could find something that sounds just like the stock exhaust system just with a bit more turbo whistle... all well. I now have a 4" Cat back heartthrob system for sale! gunna put stock back on in a few days once this cold weather moves out lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and when i say it was too loud im not talking about the whistle, the raspy groan was too loud. When I set the cruise control on 65 i can clearly hear the exhaust hummin along, my stock exhaust was quiet. I like quiet better lol I'll just go get a CAI and tune and not touch the exhaust system

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Add this aero 4040xl resonator behind the heartthrob muffler. That will take raspy sound out and keep whistle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
I purchased the SOLO 4" single side out and it purrs like a kitten until I punch it. Then the growl just get the blood pumping. Yes, it is not cheap but you do get what you pay for....I was afraid it would be too loud and have that drone in the cab like my MBRP did in the Titan. honestly I feel it's the best purchase I have made in a long time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Add this aero 4040xl resonator behind the heartthrob muffler. That will take raspy sound out and keep whistle

do you have a link?

I really want the noise level back to stock if you know what I mean...
Cruising at 65 with the heartthrob it like a slight drone in the cab. cant stand it..

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Yes I belive so here check this out uploadfromtaptalk1390858065057.jpg

Before aero

After

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Heartthrob sounds just like the video you made with the aero, but that to me is still too loud. hmmmm.....

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Yeah when u add the aero is will be quieter than mine. By 30%

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I highly recommend adding a resonator like the aero to compliment your muffler. Here's a before/after comparison of my AFE 4" with stainless works catted down-pipes.

Before.

After

Bonus: FR CAC w/ eBOV popping off.

Reactions: WhiteHorseII

·
Registered
556 Posts
My Heartthrob sounds just like the video you made with the aero, but that to me is still too loud. hmmmm.....
Damn, that thing sounds like a Shindaiwa string trimmer! Sorry guys, if you want a good sounding exhaust you need at least an 8 cylinder normally aspirated engine. It's not my thing. I like my nice no sound EcoBoost. If I want noise I drive my other F150 with the 5.4L.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think every 4" system is going to be too loud for you. Most of them have very similar characteristics to the Hearthrob system when cruising. I ended up going with the Gibson 3" to 2.5" dual side swept system. I didn't get it in yet, but when I do I'll let you know how it sounds. I was looking for something just a little more agressive, but with ZERO cabin drone on the highway. I also prefer the look of the two tails on the same side, so after all my research it was either the Gibson kit or complete custom kit. For the price, the Gibson was a no brainer. If it's even remotely descent out tomorrow, I'm gonna try to get it in, so I'll let you know.

Reactions: WhiteHorseII

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I am either going to order the aero or put stock exhaust back on and maybe find something like PistolWhip is talking about idk. Is my heartthrob 4" system a straight through design? I know I cant see straight through it so is it still better flow than my stock system?

·
Registered
216 Posts
13* right now, so it's not looking good for me getting the exhaust in... Lol

The heartthrob muffler is designed for total performance of the ecoboost engine specifically. It's kind of like a hybrid chambered muffler, but like I said, it's designed for peak performance more than managing sound. There's a video on YouTube that shows a cut-a-way of the HT muffler, I just don't remember the title. Just google or search in YouTube for heartthrob and it'll pop up.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
and when i say it was too loud im not talking about the whistle, the raspy groan was too loud. When I set the cruise control on 65 i can clearly hear the exhaust hummin along, my stock exhaust was quiet. I like quiet better lol I'll just go get a CAI and tune and not touch the exhaust system
You can move the resonant frequency to a different rpm by chopping some a bit off the tail pipe...
I had to do this on my "no drone" Banks exhaust on my silverado. at 65mph the drone was worse than a whistling extension ladder on the roof of a service truck. If you've ever ridden in a service truck with an extension ladder, you KNOW what I'm talking about....lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, yeah. Pistol Whip; I saw the video you were talking about. I know its probably "healthier" for my truck to keep the HT system but I really dont think I am. My bosses son bought an ecoboost a few days after I did, Im gunna try to talk him into buying it from me for what I paid (300$) then my bank account wont feel so ripped off haha. That or get the resonator but I just have a feeling im gunna spend another 100$ on the areo resonator and its still gunna be so raspy and loud for my taste.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looking forward to seeing and hearing the Gibson twin tip. After Borla Stingers on my Mustang, I'd be hard pressed to find anything to come close on my eco.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Damn, that thing sounds like a Shindaiwa string trimmer! Sorry guys, if you want a good sounding exhaust you need at least an 8 cylinder normally aspirated engine. It's not my thing. I like my nice no sound EcoBoost. If I want noise I drive my other F150 with the 5.4L.
How about TT V8? Best of both worlds hehe

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dont' ask me where I saw this because I can't remember it was either on this forum, or the "other" ford forum, but someone put a stock Raptor exhaust on their Ecoboost, and I personally thought it sounded good. You may want to research that as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts