F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck: 2017 F150 2.7l 4×2

My door sticker states 43 psi, but my tires(stock Open Country 265/60R18) say max pressure 44 psi. What do I set my tires too?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
43psi is fine in this case. Door stickers correlate to stock tires or tires rated (load rating) the same as stock.

For example you wouldn’t want to run load range E tires at 43psi, you would want to follow the tire manufacturers suggested pressure though load range E can handle being under inflated in most cases. Like I run 68psi front and rear 75psi on my service truck.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
There is something called the chalk test. Put it YouTube.
I know I'm posting late, but I'm sure you still have those same tires!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
1,936 Posts
Door stickers - think of this as what the truck needs according to manufacturer for best operation due to vehicle weight and application.

Max inflation pressure on tire sidewall - think of this as the max pressure this particular tire is designed to handle depending upon application.

In most cases the trucks listed pressure will not approach the tires max stated tire pressure. Don’t fill it to the tires max level unless there is some specific need.

The tire can be installed on 50 different vehicles, some need only 32 lbs. pressure others need the full 44 lbs. to operate the way the manufacturer’s design. This of course depends upon the truck’s weight and other handling characteristics.

All of this goes out the window when you start installing tires with higher load ranges. Sometimes the door sticker will list the proper pressure for an E-Rated tire along with the recommended passenger tire rating, perhaps not. When I’d run into this situation I’d install 10 - 15 lbs pressure over stated passenger tire rating and see how it feels and go from there. That said there are charts that will tell you a good place to start when upping the load rating of your tires.

Now here’s something to chew on. If you go in and have your tires rotated and inflation checked at your local tire shop and you see their $10/hr. employee inflating your tires to maximum pressure listed on the side wall of the tire, run. This is not what is in the best interest of your tires.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Now here’s something to chew on. If you go in and have your tires rotated and inflation checked at your local tire shop and you see their $10/hr. employee inflating your tires to maximum pressure listed on the side wall of the tire, run. This is not what is in the best interest of your tires.
I always specify for them to NOT touch my tire pressure. Forgot to do this last winter and they adjusted my load range C tires with a 39 PSI door sticker down to 35 PSI after being inside a warm garage for a couple of hours. Adjusted for the Manitoba winter temperature it was down to 30 PSI after sitting in the driveway a few hours after getting home. I wasn't pleased to be out in the cold readjusting my tire pressures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts