F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owners manual says to use high performance DOT 3. The cap on the brake fluid reservoir says to use only DOT 4. I'm not sure how much of a difference is but I feel like I should use DOT 4.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible with each other. DOT 4 usually has a higher boiling point.
Napa's HD DOT 3 fluid has better specs than a lot of other DOT 4, at a very good price.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
When in doubt, always choose DOT4. It is "backwards compatible".
You can use DOT4 in a DOT3 or DOT4 specified system but you don't ever want to use DOT3 in a DOT4 specified system. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can't stand this guy, find him extremely annoying to listen to, but every once and a while he spouts out a nugget of good info.

I JUST watched this video on Saturday and figured its a good place to post:

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
I can't stand this guy, find him extremely annoying to listen to, but every once and a while he spouts out a nugget of good info.

I JUST watched this video on Saturday and figured its a good place to post:
I will agree that DOT5.1 is some great fluid but it is expensive and very commonly gets confused with DOT5.
Unsuspecting customers have accidentally bought the silicone based fluid (DOT5) and put it in their DOT3/4 system thinking it is DOT5.1 and then begin having brake issues or failure because the DOT5 has caused their system seals to shrink. I wish that DOT would have come up with something less confusing.... :(
Rant over...I just deal with this complaint a little too often, in my line of work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will agree that DOT5.1 is some great fluid but it is expensive and very commonly gets confused with DOT5.
Unsuspecting customers have accidentally bought the silicone based fluid (DOT5) and put it in their DOT3/4 system thinking it is DOT5.1 and then begin having brake issues or failure because the DOT5 has caused their system seals to shrink. I wish that DOT would have come up with something less confusing.... :(
Rant over...I just deal with this complaint a little too often, in my line of work.
For real though.... How hard would it have been to name it "DOT 6"?? lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts