·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are down pipes worth the money? Pros and Cons

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
you will pick up power for sure. SPD just discontinued their catless DP's if that tells you anything. The EPA is on the warpath.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
the ecoboost computer is very sensative. You will throw a code even with aftermarket cats. Cannot pass OBD2 emissions if in a state that requires and tuners will no longer turn off emissions codes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. i did talk to my friend who inspects it and he said if it does not throw CEL we would be OK, but i keep reading about it and not sure what to make of it,
i'm am getting ready to tune the truck with 5 Star and i will also be asking them if they can tune it for down pipes

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
the ecoboost computer is very sensative. You will throw a code even with aftermarket cats. Cannot pass OBD2 emissions if in a state that requires and tuners will no longer turn off emissions codes.
My SPD catted downpipe do not set a Check Engine Light

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
With my Full-Race Catted, the light will come on, but it takes a few days of driving before it comes on IF I am running the stock tune.

I can clear it, and it will again stay off for a few days. If I were subject to emission testing, I would try that first.

It is my understanding that US Tuners can only disable the O2 sensor if you are 1) Not residing in the US or 2) Off-road use only.

Heck, I am now hearing people in California can't even get some tuners to send them a tune anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no cats on my downpipe never thrown a code. Only thing that throws codes is my BBK 73mm throttle body. Sounds awesome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So i was just reading in another thread where everyone was saying that Downpipes CAI and aftermarket exhaust are basically all snake oil and will have 0 to very little effect on performance and the only thing that will truly help is a tune? i'm all for tuning but wouldn't those other mods help? just looking for multiple opinions. Sorry im not trying to highjack the thread

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
So i was just reading in another thread where everyone was saying that Downpipes CAI and aftermarket exhaust are basically all snake oil and will have 0 to very little effect on performance and the only thing that will truly help is a tune? i'm all for tuning but wouldn't those other mods help? just looking for multiple opinions. Sorry im not trying to highjack the thread
NOT DOWNPIPES. Especially with a tune. You actually do feel the difference. And based on my datalogs, it shaved .5 secs off my 0-100mph time. The problem is, the majority will throw a CEL light. Extenders have mixed results. They worked for some guys, and not for others. The only real effective way, is to have the tuner turn-off/disable the O2 sensor from reporting an error. Since you are in Canada, many tuners will turn it off for you as Canada is not subject to US EPA laws. If the tuner refuses, find another tuner. I know a few who will, if your are in Canada.

As for Cat-back Exhaust and CAI, it is more for sound. I didn't find any noticeable difference when I installed them.

·
Administrator
10,258 Posts
I don't think US based tuners will even turn off the rear o2 sensors for "off road" use any longer. I don't think they will do it AT ALL. I wouldn't be surprised if the SCT tuning software can't even do that any longer.

I haven't installed them yet, but I have SPD catless downpipes and o2 extenders to try on my truck. I wouldn't dream of even asking for some shenanigans to be pulled tuning wise for the CEL any more.

I'm getting pretty used to driving around with the CEL on anyway lol. SPD put some work into testing and designing their O2 extenders specifically for the ecoboost trucks, according to them anyway. It's it some generic extender from the parts bin. By and large they seem to work almost all of the time.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I don't think US based tuners will even turn off the rear o2 sensors for "off road" use any longer. I don't think they will do it AT ALL. I wouldn't be surprised if the SCT tuning software can't even do that any longer.

I haven't installed them yet, but I have SPD catless downpipes and o2 extenders to try on my truck. I wouldn't dream of even asking for some shenanigans to be pulled tuning wise for the CEL any more.

I'm getting pretty used to driving around with the CEL on anyway lol. SPD put some work into testing and designing their O2 extenders specifically for the ecoboost trucks, according to them anyway. It's it some generic extender from the parts bin. By and large they seem to work almost all of the time.

A lot of guys with SPDs are claiming their downpipes are not triggering a CEL.

And guys who do try extenders that still get the CEL, say that the length of time is much longer than "a couple of days".

In that case, if it is more like a couple weeks, instead of a couple of days, turning off the CEL with your device isn't a big deal IMO.

I cannot say for sure with this PCM, but on the GM PCMs that I played with, if a CEL comes on, it often hindered performance as part of it's CEL logic. This is because they think there is a problem, and they don't want you accidentally hurting the motor.

And depending on the serious of the CEL, it could even throw you into "limp mode" which is designed to basically "limp safely" to get you home and to the dealership. But all normal performance is gone.

Recently, when I had a situation with my SCT device, I was stuck with the stock tune for a few weeks. My CEL came on, and I swore that the performance was even WORSE than when I had the stock tune initially loaded up.

I do know that my fuel economy suffered. I made a long trip I have done many times at the same speed (locked by Cruise Control) ... and my fuel economy on a 500 mile trip was over 15% worse than it usually is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
even if i take a 3 inch downpipe and mate it up to the factory 2.5 inch exhaust system. you think it would still be beneficial? wouldn't it just create a bottle neck effect thus negating the aftermarket downpipe ?

·
Administrator
10,258 Posts
The cel for the cats doesn't affect my performance. (Been driving around with sub par cats for a while now. P0430 and 0420 for catalyst system out of efficiency range or something like that) I did pull my tunes until I've got the new pipes on.

I've had it go into limp mode for underboost or overboost codes, and they severely limit performance. It's limited to 3 psi. Not doing a whole lot with that! I was stuck like that for a few miles in the Cherokee mountains with my camper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
isn't it pointless to mount a 3 inch downpipe to a 2.5 factory exhaust system? wouldn't it jus create a bottle neck effect thus negating any gains from the aftermarket downpipe?

·
Administrator
10,258 Posts
From what I understand, the benefits from downpipes come from more than just an ID change. More gentle bends and whatnot? Whatever it is, that always seems to be at the top of the list when we talk about bolt ons that give a true performance benefit that can be felt or measured.

I'm also hoping to be able to use that to craft a decent exhaust sound. I'll settle for decent.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The cel for the cats doesn't affect my performance. (Been driving around with sub par cats for a while now. P0430 and 0420 for catalyst system out of efficiency range or something like that) I did pull my tunes until I've got the new pipes on.

I've had it go into limp mode for underboost or overboost codes, and they severely limit performance. It's limited to 3 psi. Not doing a whole lot with that! I was stuck like that for a few miles in the Cherokee mountains with my camper.

Glad to hear that. FYI, on Jan 2nd I took my truck in to fix an electric window. In spite of my cable over the OBDII port and a note on my file to NOT FLASH my computer; the technician thought he was doing me a favour and reflashing my truck for the tranny recall fix.

Now my tune and SCT Device wouldn't work. Thought it was a different truck while it was still married to my old Strategy. SCT couldn't fix it online, so I had to send it to Florida for SCT to fix. Luckily, because this was caused by a Ford Recall for my truck (Had to email the recall notice), SCT fixed my device for FREE!

Drove stock for 3 weeks with a CEL for most of the time (except 3 days at the start). I can only say that after the CEL came on, the truck seemed even slower than when they first reflashed. And this reflash feels slower than my original strategy, AND it gets worse gas mileage ever. Basically Ford neutered my truck!

After I got my device back, then I had to have all my tunes (3) redone because I had a new Strategy. Luckily Torrie cut me a deal on the "re-do". I am sure had I asked, he probably would have done it for free. But I like Torrie and I insisted he take something for this.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
From what I understand, the benefits from downpipes come from more than just an ID change. More gentle bends and whatnot? Whatever it is, that always seems to be at the top of the list when we talk about bolt ons that give a true performance benefit that can be felt or measured.

I'm also hoping to be able to use that to craft a decent exhaust sound. I'll settle for decent.

That is part of the benefit. The other benefit is the catted versions usually have high-flow cats that flow better than the OEM cats. Except you may now have a CEL to deal with.

My Full-Race are 3" mandrel bent stainless T302 (IIRC). And the Y is one of the best out there. When I had my truck dyno'd with my bolt-ons, I had 310 RWHP. About 40RWHP higher than most of the Bone Stock Dyno runs.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
isn't it pointless to mount a 3 inch downpipe to a 2.5 factory exhaust system? wouldn't it jus create a bottle neck effect thus negating any gains from the aftermarket downpipe?
That is why I added a custom 3" exhaust myself. I saw those beautiful FR pipes merge into the ugly 2.5" OEM exhaust. I got 310RWHP when I dyno'd with a stock tune (but the speed limiter removed) and my bolt-ons listed in my signature.

Typically, 2011-2014s only get around 270RWHP bone stock. This is what most Ecoboosts back in 2013-2015 when there was a lot of guys dyno'ing and modifying their Ecoboosts. Now, you never see any dyno runs. If you dig deep enough, you may be able to find them. Unfortunately, the .Net Search Engine sucked and was very limited IMO. I hope it better now. I haven't looked for anything lately.

But when I got tuned, my RWHP jumped to 372RWHP and my TQ jumped to 535+ RWTQ. The is MUCH more fun to drive tuned with those mods, than stock. Stock, it feels like I am missing a couple of cylinders.

·
Administrator
10,258 Posts
SCT has always taken pretty good care of me. Even before I had a man on the inside .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts