F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has probably been answered before. I searched and haven’t seen anyone talk about this idea. I have 2017 gen 2 3.5eb. I still have about 2 years left on my warranty so I’m not looking to get a tune, yet. In VA they just do a visual inspection for a Catalytic converter. No emissions. Cel doesn’t matter here. Here’s my idea. Catless downpipe w/02 defouler and 4” exhaust. If I get a 4” cat installed on vbands where the resonator is on the exhaust. I can remove it and replace with a straight pipe section when I want for “off-road” use. Will this cause problems with the cat on, that far down from where the factory cats would be and with cat off would it cause Over speed turbo issues or in general truck running like crap issues?
thanks

·
Modinstrator
2,874 Posts
What is it you are hoping to gain?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
There is actually another thread that just started on this a few days ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well nothing yet. Eventually I am going to get a tune. Trying to build the truck up a bit while keeping what’s left on my warranty and not fail state inspections

·
Modinstrator
2,874 Posts
Understood. This is my opinion but others seem to concur. Changing your exhaust with a performance enhancement in mind on an otherwise stock vehicle is throwing good money into the river. If you’d have said you wanted some difference in sound that’s a different story. The stock intake systems and the stock exhaust systems easily support the needs of an OE engine until you get significantly more HP down to the ground. In fact they’ll likely support a decent tune.

It’s kinda like putting something on your truck that gives you no real benefit until your warranty is up and you decide to start tuning. In the mean time you’ve got a couple years of wear and tear on an exhaust system that you will not feel.

So... if you’re not looking to change the way the vehicle sounds, spend your money on an improved suspension, sway bars or brakes. These are places that can give you a real benefit for every dollar spent.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Understood. This is my opinion but others seem to concur. Changing your exhaust with a performance enhancement in mind on an otherwise stock vehicle is throwing good money into the river. If you’d have said you wanted some difference in sound that’s a different story. The stock intake systems and the stock exhaust systems easily support the needs of an OE engine until you get significantly more HP down to the ground. In fact they’ll likely support a decent tune.

It’s kinda like putting something on your truck that gives you no real benefit until your warranty is up and you decide to start tuning. In the mean time you’ve got a couple years of wear and tear on an exhaust system that you will not feel.

So... if you’re not looking to change the way the vehicle sounds, spend your money on an improved suspension, sway bars or brakes. These are places that can give you a real benefit for every dollar spent.
This^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I would not want catless DP's on my truck without a tune, or ever really. I would go catted regardless.

But if you are set on it, I would also throw AMS turbo adapters on that list while you are in there doing the work. Oh yeah and maybe some CRP 42mm turbos. Oh and some CRP manifolds. Intake, intercooler, AMS turbo inlet pipes. Just while you are in there.

In all seriousness, if you are itching to spend money, why not do an intercooler. You can realize the benefit of a good intercooler on the stock tune where as you will not see any benefit from pretty much any other mod until you have a tune. The stock PCM is load based which means it will not allow more power when performance parts are bolted on until a proper tune is written to take advantage of said parts.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
588 Posts
How well would a v-band system resist corrosion in Northern climates?
I feel like putting a v-band under the truck where it's fully exposed to the elements would make it pretty difficult to swap out when it's time for an inspection. I'm curious about this option as emissions inspection is visual where I live and catless is nice when tuned for it

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Vendor
559 Posts
That in theory would work on the truck, it would run just fine, but it would be expensive(v-bands, catalytics, fabrication, etc), I also don't know that it would pass a visual inspection. We are in a state that does not do testing, but I assume the guys who look at that stuff have some sort of idea where the catalytics are supposed to go on most of the popular cars and trucks. Unlesss your trying to set the world on fire, why not a catted pipe. We have some new cat options to consider and it would pass a visual and some will pass a readiness test as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts