F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Yes some , pre 2015 but some pre 2017 also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, made a world of difference on my 13.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Or just get and aftermarket cac ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
It has nothing to do with performance, it is just to clear the oil and water our of the intercooler so it does't suck into the engine. There is a ton of information online, just google search.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has nothing to do with performance, it is just to clear the oil and water our of the intercooler so it does't suck into the engine. There is a ton of information online, just google search.
Is there any other way of draining it without having to drill?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Is there any other way of draining it without having to drill?
Yeah you can remove the intercooler which doesn't take a whole lot of effort and drain it out, clean it. The problem is you're not going to know when that crap builds up and on the older years that could lead to water ingestion and hydrolocking

·
Registered
4,427 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah you can remove the intercooler which doesn't take a whole lot of effort and drain it out, clean it. The problem is you're not going to know when that crap builds up and on the older years that could lead to water ingestion and hydrolocking

So say I'd drill this hole in my intercooler do I leave I open to drain all the time or would I use a self tapping screw to plug the hole up?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Just an FYI just there's been plenty of guys with 2015 + trucks who have found a significant amount of crud in there intercoolers. So still a good idea to at least remove and clean it once in awhile

·
Registered
3,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
The entire truck.
It's still Gen1 though in 15?

I guess since the license plate returned to center mount, even though it's Gen1 motor, the Intercooler changed enough that some fellas didn't need to drill it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's still Gen1 though in 15?

I guess since the license plate returned to center mount, even though it's Gen1 motor, the Intercooler changed enough that some fellas didn't need to drill it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
But say if I drill it to see if anything comes out, do I plug it with something after or just leaving the hole exposed

·
Registered
143 Posts
But say if I drill it to see if anything comes out, do I plug it with something after or just leaving the hole exposed
You have a 15. In Manitoba. Don't drill it. The redesign of the intercooler along with the active shutters pretty much eliminate the problem of condensate getting sucked into the engine. You don't need to. I did with my 13 as the issue happened twice and I didn't want it to happen again. Once was after cruising about an hour on the TCH and then opening it up to pass a semi. Went into limp mode and we pulled into the rest area just into Saskatchewan. after shutting it off for a bit and restarting it ran beautifully all the way to Vancouver and back. Second time was close to home on a foggy morning without the engine fully warmed up. I drilled it after that second time.

I'd say if you experience the old issue, which I don't think you will, then consider drilling it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The entire truck.
Except the engine, right?

That's why I've always been confused with these forum names. "2nd Gen. Ecoboost (2015+)." Always confused me because the 2nd Gen. 3.5L Ecoboost came out in 2017 and I believe the 2.7L Ecoboost was after that. I know the truck was fully redesigned in 2015, but what about the engine itself changed?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
MAXXPAY
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing