F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You have a 15. In Manitoba. Don't drill it. The redesign of the intercooler along with the active shutters pretty much eliminate the problem of condensate getting sucked into the engine. You don't need to. I did with my 13 as the issue happened twice and I didn't want it to happen again. Once was after cruising about an hour on the TCH and then opening it up to pass a semi. Went into limp mode and we pulled into the rest area just into Saskatchewan. after shutting it off for a bit and restarting it ran beautifully all the way to Vancouver and back. Second time was close to home on a foggy morning without the engine fully warmed up. I drilled it after that second time.

I'd say if you experience the old issue, which I don't think you will, then consider drilling it.
Thank you

·
Registered
368 Posts
I drilled my 2016 the day I brought it home (new). The stain on my garage floor indicates a significant amount of gunk still builds up in the 2015+, but doesn't get gulped on WOT the way older trucks did it. I have no need to drive that stuff around and a 1/16" hole has zero affect on the turbo system.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
It's still Gen1 though in 15?

I guess since the license plate returned to center mount, even though it's Gen1 motor, the Intercooler changed enough that some fellas didn't need to drill it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The intercooler is entirely different. I mean even the 2014's seemed to have the issue mostly resolved. I never drilled mine and it was ok.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Except the engine, right?

That's why I've always been confused with these forum names. "2nd Gen. Ecoboost (2015+)." Always confused me because the 2nd Gen. 3.5L Ecoboost came out in 2017 and I believe the 2.7L Ecoboost was after that. I know the truck was fully redesigned in 2015, but what about the engine itself changed?
Everything around the engine is different including the intake piping, intercooler, etc. Thats why none of the aftermarket stuff is cross compatible. The engine itself is the only commonality which was not ultimately the issue.

Ford even made changes over the 11-14 model years to the intercooler and I think by 2014 had mostly fixed the issue. Like I said, I never had issues on my stock CAC in like 2.5 years before moving to the AFE.

regardless, the stock CAC's are barely adequate. If you do any towing or just drive hard, the CAC upgrade is def worth a look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
But say if I drill it to see if anything comes out, do I plug it with something after or just leaving the hole exposed
Before you drill, look for evidence of f problems. It’s a terrible idea to drill a hole just to check for condensation and sludge. It is very easy to take the intercooler completely out of the truck but you can also simply remove the air pipe on the engine side of the intercooler to see if there is any evidence of milkshake and go from there

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Before you drill, look for evidence of f problems. It’s a terrible idea to drill a hole just to check for condensation and sludge. It is very easy to take the intercooler completely out of the truck but you can also simply remove the air pipe on the engine side of the intercooler to see if there is any evidence of milkshake and go from there
Thank you for the advice. I'll remove the hoses from the intercooler and take a look. Love this forum for great tips and advice.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
One thing you can do, if you are hesitant to drill into your Intercooler, and you don't want your driveway or garage floor stained - put a sheet metal screw in the hole.

Then occasionally remove it and take the truck for a quick drive. That will blow out any junk that may be in your intercooler. Then replace the screw to button it up.

I have a Wagner Intercooler (did it within the first year) as well as a catch can. I haven't any condensation issues in the 6 years I have owned my truck. But if I did, I would drill a small hole, put a sheetmetal screw and periodically take a quick drive to blow out the crud.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
MAXXPAY
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing