F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why my drive shaft is COVERED in rust? My truck has 3k miles and I believe it came from the dealer already rusty.. I have seen guys on here post pictures of their mufflers ect and in the pics you can almost always see a rusty drive shaft.. If I complain about that to the dealer do you think they would do something about it? I mean dang, if its that rusty new imagine how it would be in 50k miles..
Also, my stock resonator has 2 small holes, one on each side and when you bend down and listen to it you can hear the air whistling out of the holes (sounds aweful).. are those supposed to be there? Thanks guys!

Same here with the driveshaft.
They do not coat or paint them which is why they rust, really sucks.
My truck came like that from brand new off the lot as they all do, ford will probably not do anything about it as it does not affect the performance of the truck.
The holes in the resonator are normal and there to drain condensation from the exhaust so that you don't have an exhaust full of water.
Thinking of plastidipping my driveshaft, might due it this summer after the salt is gone.
I have pulled new camaro exhausts and gotten soaked by a waterfall that i did not expect lol.

just a question. Has anyone had a driveshaft rust through & fall off in the history of time? It's steel. Steel rusts. It's only the top layer. It's not going to rust through like your fenders. It's like my chrome. All rusted. 17 months old. & the plastic chrome looks like shite. Plasti dipping that stuff black. But I (IMHO) wouldn't worry about your driveshaft.

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it all makes sense now. It could be a good idea to get under there with a wire wheel to get the rust off then paint it...

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Dominator, I understand the reasoning behind the fact that they probably wouldnt do anything at the dealership because it doesnt effect the preformance but i am certain that if I drove off the lot in a brand new truck and got home and noticed a huge rust spot right on the side of the bed or on the hood or somewhere visable I am sure they would fix that.. lol

You are correct in your observation on the driveshaft. Other chassis parts on the F150 like the rear end differential, the front spindles, brake rotor surface will exhibit the same behavior. This is one area where my previous truck was different, none of the aforementioned components had any surface rust.

The integrity of the parts however from this surface rust should not be affected. Just disappointing to experience the lack of quality detail in the visual esthetics. Falls short of the expectation of Ford being above or different in the manufacturing space.

The corrosion warranty (5 years unlimited miles) might be applicable if there is a factory defect with a body panel and the panel has been perforated by rust. In the 2013 MY warranty guide there's one entire paragraph dedicated to the corrision warranty details. There's not much there for the consumer.

Dominator, I understand the reasoning behind the fact that they probably wouldnt do anything at the dealership because it doesnt effect the preformance but i am certain that if I drove off the lot in a brand new truck and got home and noticed a huge rust spot right on the side of the bed or on the hood or somewhere visable I am sure they would fix that.. lol
Definetley true but i guess they figure most customers won't care about the look of their driveshaft.
I do and most of us on here do lol but i guess we are just the poisoned few lol.

just a question. Has anyone had a driveshaft rust through & fall off in the history of time? It's steel. Steel rusts. It's only the top layer. It's not going to rust through like your fenders. It's like my chrome. All rusted. 17 months old. & the plastic chrome looks like shite. Plasti dipping that stuff black. But I (IMHO) wouldn't worry about your driveshaft.

Nope And i have seen some pretty rusty shaft lol lol.
It's just really an astetics thing for some i guess.

Check out Black Star for painting your driveshaft. I painted my excursion's drive shaft with a couple of coats and it came out great. Turns anything rusty into a polymer finish that is matte black.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.