F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I have an interesting issue... Sometimes when the cab of my truck is unbearably hot it sounds like the speaker in the driver side front door is blown/distorted. I am not 100% sure that heat is the issue. I am having a hard time figuring out what is causing sound to be distorted. It usually does happen after the truck has been sitting while I'm at work. I do not hear the issue in the morning after it has sat all night. It is hard to notice sometimes, but definitely noticeable on low volume while listening closely.

And no I do not listen to any music very loud or any heavy music at all, mostly phone and spoken voice type audio.

Thanks!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Crazy deal. I noticed this just this morning. No I don't play my tunes loud either. Was not distorted on the way home. Or at least I didn't notice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you not anything out of the ordinary? Like something that is different to cause the issue?

·
Registered
823 Posts
do you notice it only on Bluetooth audio by chance? I've had similar symptoms (but back right only) and was able to figure out that I could "fix" it by reconnecting Bluetooth each time

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't usually use the bluetooth audio... only on phone calls and I listen to talk radio (not sirius), but when I hear it I can on all stations. I will try using bluetooth audio next time and see what happens...

·
Registered
823 Posts
hmmm - I haven't noticed the problem except with Bluetooth yet. wish I could help more!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, at least I know I'm not alone! :p

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
...Sometimes when the cab of my truck is unbearably hot it sounds like the speaker in the driver side front door is blown/distorted...
It might be time to mention the speaker to your dealer, KJ4BUP. Are there any warm days coming up so you can swing by then? How many miles are on your truck?

Crazy deal. I noticed this just this morning...
Hi Woofer700,

What's your truck's model year/mileage? If this persists, I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealer for diagnosis. Rather not make a special visit? You could mention your speaker issue the next time you're in for a maintenance visit. I'll research some ways to help out.

Crystal

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am planning on doing some close observation this weekend and visiting the dealer within the next week. I seem to be busy all the time nowadays.

My truck has about 22000 miles on it currently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me. It was an intermittent issue so I brought it to the dealership and of course they could not reproduce it. I recorded a video on my phone and brought it back to the dealership. After they believed me they told me they had to speak to engineering. I'm more old school with troubleshooting. Take the panel off, check the connections and whether it is loose. If not see if the speaker is torn. If that is not it replace the speaker. That was crazy talk to them. They needed to find out from engineering. A week later after I called back to see if the grand wizard of all things speaker called and they did. It was unbelievable. They said....take the door panel off and replace the speaker and see if it goes away. Why didn't I think of that. The end game was that it took care of the problem and I have been speaker buzz free for about 8 months. Good Luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me. . . . . . Take the panel off, check the connections and whether it is loose. If not see if the speaker is torn. If that is not it replace the speaker.
On my 2013 had the same thing happen. But I'm old school and can tell when a speaker is torn. (A certain person in my family loves to crank the radio way beyond the limits of human hearing.) I rebalanced it so there was more sound to the back speakers and left it at that.

·
Banned
242 Posts
This has been a common F150 problem over the years. What you are experiencing is the first stage of the problem. The second stage is where the speaker stops working. The root cause of the issue is ironically the volume knob itself on the radio. Do a google search on that and you will find the fix.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Crystal. Truck is a 14, with just short of 12,000 miles. This has not happened again yet. But I will mention it to the dealer when I can stop in. Also had the trans buzzing last week to. So I will be stopping in. Oh. It's an XLT Crew long box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So there is a TSB out for this its TSB 12-11-4

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't had a. Vance to see the dealer yet, but I'll mention the TSB when I go. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 F150 eco-Boost with approximately 6000 miles and have the very exact problem, I have been thinking of taking it in, but have yet to take it in. What are you'll's advice on this problem?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I haven't had a. Vance to see the dealer yet, but I'll mention the TSB when I go. Much appreciated.
I have a 2014 F150 eco-Boost with approximately 6000 miles and have the very exact problem, I have been thinking of taking it in, but have yet to take it in. What are you'll's advice on this problem?
Hey, folks!

Heading to the dealer for diagnosis is a great next step to get these speaker issues resolved. Additionally, I'll assist by looping in your regional customer service managers. To proceed, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update: I caught it on video. I turn the radio on and off to show that it is persistent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds just like mine. First it was one speaker, now I think two. I really notice the problem when activating SYNC. I think the bluetooth for the phone only uses the front speakers & maybe the tweeters. Did you end up replacing the speaker(s)?

Update: I caught it on video. I turn the radio on and off to show that it is persistent

1 - 20 of 24 Posts