F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen,

I am replacing the injectors on my 2013 F150 EB. When I pulled the injectors there was a ton of filth around the ports. I was cleaning them out with Q tips and alcohol when I accidentally dropped one directly through the injector port and into the combustion chamber for the rear-most passenger side cylinder (Is that #3?).

I removed the spark plug, and inspected with a bore scope. I can see the bastard in there, sitting on top of the piston. I have tried to reach it with one of those grabbing tools that you squeeze, but it is very cumbersome/tedious and I have not made any progress.

I can't believe that I am even asking this, but do you guys think it would be OK if I just finished the job and fired up the engine with the Q tip in there? After all, it is just made of paper and some cotton. I imagine it would get chewed up by the exhaust valves and work its way into the manifold. Perhaps bits of it would get hung up in the catalytic converter, but it seems to me that it would eventually burn away into nothing.

This is not something I would normally condone, but the thought of pulling the head, ordering head bolts/gasket, setting up the timing, etc. is just such a huge mess. It would turn a 1-2 day job into several weeks for me.

My primary concern about it is that the Q tip may bend one of the valves or damage the valve seats if/when it gets smashed in them as they close.

What if I squirted oil into the combustion chamber and let the Q tip marinate in it for a day or two? It would become very sodden/soft and it would make it easier for the valves to cut through it while the engine runs.

Do you guys have any thoughts or input for this situation? I am on the verge of pulling the head, but I really, REALLY don't want to do it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I wouldn't fire it up with that in there. Have you tried a thin probe with something sticky on the end? Maybe some inverted duct tape on the end of a stick through the spark plug hole? You'd have to grab the end for this to be successful, so if you have an endoscope I would try and set it up in the injector port while you try to extract.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
I admire your courage for asking!

Especially in the current culture of internet lynchings. Lol

I'm being Very honest when I say if it were me, first I would breathe..... Relax...... Laugh at myself.... And THEN figure out a unique method for fetching that little buggar out of that hole. There's a way! I just gotta believe that. Some clever application of tool(s) that would result in getting a grip on things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Fishing tape with thick bearing
image_17244.jpg
grease might work, especially since you know where and how it's sitting. Just pack the end full of bearing grease and try to get it to stick.
The big hardware stores sell these for about $10 in various lengths, you may need to trim and bend according to your application

·
Registered
333 Posts
On second thought, just use some wire...14 gauge bigger. If it were me, just make a loop or something for the grease to adhere to and fish away my friend.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
"Fishing" for real!

I'm cheering for ya too.
I fully expect a celebration post at some point soon

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Not sure grease or tape would have the grip to wiggle up out of there, something with a small hook (pun intended) to fish it up through the hole. Some fine crafting wire may be useful in this situation.

Also if it were me in this position and I was successful at fishing that out I’d definitely frame the little bastard and hang it on the wall in my garage! Good luck none the less!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I guess pouring a little gasoline down the hole and burning it is out of the question?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
I thought the same thing too. Blow torch it. I don't think you'll get the stick on the q-tip to get "mushy" with solvents or liquids. Those things are pretty tightly wound paper or something. Hopefully you didn't us a plastic one. I'm rooting for you!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Compressor blowing into the injector hole and shopvac sucking on the plug hole. If it swirls around a bit it might pop straight out. Even better if you could chop it up a bit. Just don’t bend it so it doesn’t fit through any more.

·
Administrator
10,460 Posts
I thought the same thing too. Blow torch it. I don't think you'll get the stick on the q-tip to get "mushy" with solvents or liquids. Those things are pretty tightly wound paper or something. Hopefully you didn't us a plastic one. I'm rooting for you!
I swear I'd try to burn it somehow!

It is a combustion chamber!

*I am not liable for any and all damage that may occur from my rambling .

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Compressor blowing into the injector hole and shopvac sucking on the plug hole. If it swirls around a bit it might pop straight out. Even better if you could chop it up a bit. Just don’t bend it so it doesn’t fit through any more.
I wouldn’t use a vacuum as they’re notorious for building up static electricity, so sucking in raw fuel vapor may end badly!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might try going to a radio shack or some place like that where they might carry some extra long q-tips probably 6 inches or so in length and smear some Vaseline on the end of the q-tip and try snagging the one that you dropped into the cylinder. you can always bend the longer q-tip to get it to go in an angle towards the inside wall of the cylinder. Good luck, my younger brother and I ended up pulling a head on a 6.2 diesel one time in order to recover the end of a glow plug that dropped down on top of the piston.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You said Radio Shack - good luck finding that. ;)

Velcro on the end of something or a long piece of it that is on a roll might work to grab the cotton.
You may even hand rotate the engine to get the piston up as high as possible but still be able to move around that way the trip is shorter for the q-tip.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You said Radio Shack - good luck finding that. ;)

Velcro on the end of something or a long piece of it that is on a roll might work to grab the cotton.
You may even hand rotate the engine to get the piston up as high as possible but still be able to move around that way the trip is shorter for the q-tip.
Radio Shack? Dang man way to date yourself. .

Velcro is an excellent idea. Use the hook side, not the loops. That should snag the cotton easily.

I'm still holding out for a video though!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts