F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Dummies" tutorial for adding a knock gauge to Livewire using LiveLink G2??????

Hi, Folks. I'm looking to add a KNOCK reading to a Livewire. Not a datalogging option, but a real time virtual gauge option. I've only seen a couple bits of info using Google regarding this, and I couldn't figure it out. Some have done it successfully, with the exception of the boost reading in Kpa rather than PSI. One guy even found a fix for that by digging in a bit further. If anyone can give me a dumbed down tutorial, or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

SCT really needs to have KNOCK as a selectable option in the Livewire. To me, that's probably the most important thing to monitor. It's the one thing that will tell you that you're doing engine damage RIGHT NOW, back off and adjust something. It's almost ridiculous that it isn't included, but I have a hunch I know why it isn't, and I understand if that's the case.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Isn't this what knock retard does? Not happy with monitoring that? I monitor knock on my X4 so the live wire should have the same thing.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You need to plug in your live wire to your computer and make a config file that has knock retard, or you should have gotten one from ur tuner.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
You need to plug in your live wire to your computer and make a config file that has knock retard, or you should have gotten one from ur tuner.
Yeah, there are Configs floating around with Knock Retard as one of the PIDs. Then you just select it on your Livewire. I even have a Boost Guage show in PSI with my Config that I personalized.

But you need to download the Software from SCT to run on your computer as mentioned above to customize your Config. The only limitation, you cannot select more than 33 PIDs for your Config.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I even have a Boost Guage show in PSI with my Config that I personalized.
I've been trying to get mine setup to read psi in relative pressure, right now it only reads in absolute so 1 psi boost shows as 15.7. But the stock SCT gauge config will read in relative, but doesn't have knock. If yours is setup in relative i'd love to know how you did it!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I've been trying to get mine setup to read psi in relative pressure, right now it only reads in absolute so 1 psi boost shows as 15.7. But the stock SCT gauge config will read in relative, but doesn't have knock. If yours is setup in relative i'd love to know how you did it!
PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward it to you later.

I personally use the Metric Measurements for TEMP PIDS, but I think I have a Fahrenheit version too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info so far guys. I received a bit of info this afternoon from Torrie at Unleashed, but I'm stuck at work and can't screw with it. I looked at it quickly and it seemed fairly straight forward. I'm pretty good with the internet, but get the deer in headlights feeling when working with actual programs and terms. I'll try and give it a go tonight, if not tomorrow, and let you guys know how it went.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the config file I use on my X4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DLFConfig.cf4

It has boost in absolute KPa but you can change that if you read through the thread above.
Thanks, Vozaday. I'm working with the config file Torrie sent, which has the boost in KPa. I read this How To: SCT Livelink Datalog - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans but couldn't find where it explains how to change the units of measurement. Peeps mention it in that thread, but I don't think it's explained. Did I miss it due to my computer illiteracy? lol EDIT- Or are you referring to Grim Reapers posts in this thread?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Thanks, Vozaday. I'm working with the config file Torrie sent, which has the boost in KPa. I read this How To: SCT Livelink Datalog - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans but couldn't find where it explains how to change the units of measurement. Peeps mention it in that thread, but I don't think it's explained. Did I miss it due to my computer illiteracy? lol EDIT- Or are you referring to Grim Reapers posts in this thread?
You can change the units on the x4 but it will still be absolute pressure. You would have to take a look on the laptop when your truck is hooked up to the laptop. It should bring up pids and hopefully you can find the right one. But also on the x4 there is a 08+ ford gas file that shows boost in gauge psi but doesn't monitor knock. You will just have to play with it.

And anything you can get from Grims comments will be gold. He knows more about this than I do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhhh...hold on. I may have figured it out by dicking around with things a bit. And I thought computers were just for buying parts, watching epic fail videos, and stuff.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As far as boost goes, What is the parameter that would be used to read boost? Manifold absolute pressure under the MAP section, or tip prs boost under the TURBO section? Tip prs boost, I assume?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
As far as boost goes, What is the parameter that would be used to read boost? Manifold absolute pressure under the MAP section, or tip prs boost under the TURBO section? Tip prs boost, I assume?
Manifold absolute is what I use. It's the pressure that your engine actually sees.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, thanks Vozaday, I'll switch it to that.

I'm fairly confident I have everything configured correctly in LiveLink and exported to my Livewire. All the new parameters show up as selectable on the Livewire screen. I'm able to double click the virtual gauge I want to change, change the min/max values, etc, "approve" everything, but when I go back to the main gauge screen, the changes don't take. I don't think I'm pulling a bonehead move anywhere, but who knows. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Ok, thanks Vozaday, I'll switch it to that. I'm fairly confident I have everything configured correctly in LiveLink and exported to my Livewire. All the new parameters show up as selectable on the Livewire screen. I'm able to double click the virtual gauge I want to change, change the min/max values, etc, "approve" everything, but when I go back to the main gauge screen, the changes don't take. I don't think I'm pulling a bonehead move anywhere, but who knows. Any ideas?
Sorry, can't help you there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, can't help you there.
No prob Vozaday. I appreciate all the help thus far from all you guys. Hopefully someone will chime in and help me straighten this out. I'm sure it's just a few simple steps, but at this point it's still foreign feeling and a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, apparently the Livewire doesn't like it when you screw with the min/max values and alert parameters within each virtual gauge setup. When I simply double click the desired gauge, select what parameter I want to monitor, and "approve" without any further tweaking, it takes on the gauge screen. Maybe this issue only pops up when trying to tweak a custom user config,...or I'm just an idiot. Prob option 2 :)

Couple more issues regarding exactly which option I'm selecting to monitor. First off, boost. When using manifold absolute pressure, my readings were anywhere from +3ish at idle, to +29ish on the quick ride I just went on. I only gave it around 1/2 throttle for a few seconds in 2nd gear, which is when the 29 PSI registered, otherwise it was just normal driving. In the config file I switched the unit to PSI. Also, the Livewire is showing that it's reading PSI. Obviously my boost didn't go up to 29PSI at half throttle, which leads me to believe that I'm either not monitoring the correct parameter OR for some reason the gauge is still displaying kPa, despite the fact is says PSI on the Livewire and also in the config file. If it WAS displaying kPa, then 29 kPa equates to 4.2PSI which I'm sure isn't accurate either. It was probably more likely in the 10-12PSI zone during that blip. I'm looking for a "normal" boost reading, as what would read on an actual boost gauge. What parameter should I be monitoring?

Next issue is intake air temp. The "stock" Livewire reading would generally be between 2 and 15 degrees above the ambient temp. For example, if it was 10F the gauge might read 14F. With the new config file, the parameter is IAT2. It's 10F right now and idling in my driveway after my quick ride it was reading 55F. I'm going to assume I'm monitoring the correct parameter here and the stock Livewire gauge was based off a pre-compressor sensor? Maybe IAT1?....and IAT2 is a post-compressor reading? Makes sense to me, and unless you guys say otherwise, I'll leave it where it is.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Sounds like you are making progress. The manifold pressure is atmospheric. So what ever you get -14.7psi. So 29psi is really 14 psi. As to how to change it to calculate gauge pressure I will have to dig into it. Yes iat2 is what we use most because that is the temp going into the engine. As it gets hotter it will start to cause predetonation, thus the engine will pull timing and boost. That is why it is monitored.

I put in a boost gauge to be able to monitor boost. But other than that you just kind of notice what your boost is and convert it in your head.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
6 Participants
FX2ECOSCREW
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing