Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
MPT told me roughly 20% on their dyno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The graph above looks more like 15% ... but lets face it, Crank is a "guess" as it can only be estimated, RWHP is what is measurable.

Bremerd1, I assume your 457 RWHP was with the Turbos and Meth Injection. But what were the mods with the 322 RWHP done 2 hours earlier?

I assume this is a Dynojet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The graph above looks more like 15% ... but lets face it, Crank is a "guess" as it can only be estimated, RWHP is what is measurable.

Bremerd1, I assume your 457 RWHP was with the Turbos and Meth Injection. But what were the mods with the 322 RWHP done 2 hours earlier?

I assume this is a Dynojet.

The 322 was the Cavalli turbos + Wagner intercooler, but no Meth on a stock Ford ECU. We did the initial run when we first arrived at MPT's shop so we had something to compare the software updates to.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of Dyno MPT has (sorry, didn't think about that while I was there).

·
Registered
40 Posts
@Chris H: Totally unknown, actually; I'm just quoting the dyno graph MPT gave me. I'd imagine whatever software they are using to 'drive' the dyno likely does some type of calculation based on rim/wheel diameter, final drive ratio, etc. (MPT needed to know all of those things to be able to tune the truck, so I'd imagine they are rolled in somehow...)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Nice graph ,those don't have that huge torque spike.they seem to make about the same numbers as GTs but it's higher in the band..the GT's seem to make more tq down low..nice how does it run any issues ?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Nice graph ,those don't have that huge torque spike.they seem to make about the same numbers as GTs but it's higher in the band..the GT's seem to make more tq down low..nice how does it run any issues ?
He haas GT's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi! It runs very well. Down low, it's much like stock, with no nasty habits, which makes it nice for go-to-work traffic or running around town. I'm going to chalk that up to the tune by MPT - they could just as likely made it behave quite evil.

It does have some idle issues when running on a near-full-tank fillup of Sunoco 260 GT (race gas). It didn't want to idle. I suspect when I put in mostly 260 GT, the higher octane race gas hindered the fuel burning quickly enough at idle (completely topping off with 93 Chevron pump gas immediately corrected the rough idle).

The Cavalli's generate more noise than the stock turbos (takes a little getting used to the turbo-whistle and the Turbosmart blow-off valve noises).

It does have a (not related to performance, but drive-ability) gotcha:
-The electronic aids have been disabled (wheel spin/traction control). It makes driving in the rain tricky if you do something that changes traction rapidly, such as change lanes... I've had the truck snap sideways a couple of times now while changing lanes, so you learn to not apply power when the road is even remotely damp, or if a painted line is in the road path...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi ptown,

It's a pair of Cavalli turbos, not GT's.

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Guys,

I *finally* got a chance to get down to the dragstrip, and figured I'd put some quarter mile numbers up with the dyno chart...

13.83 on the first run, and 13.78 on the second.

If I knew what I was doing (or had a lot more practice), I bet I could knock at least a half-second off that.
It's mostly due to my piss-poor reaction time, and not knowing how to launch...

It would help if I would remember to turn off the HVAC system, or even rev the motor some while waiting for the greenlight. (Oh well, next time...)
I did remember to turn off the traction control (mostly because it flashed in the instrument cluster at the burn-out pit both times).

This was a typical amature 'the truck was at idle, the light turned green, and I floored it' run, both times...

20171216_204834.jpg

20171216_211754.jpg

Dan B

·
Vendor
314 Posts
2011 3.5 Ecoboost, Full Race GT turbos, Wagner Intercooler, Full Race Catted Down pipes, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, Tifosi Performance Zero Restriction Catback, MPT Email Tune for GTs with 4 revisions.

Before naysayers tell you the GT Turbos don't make much more than stock.. find out how much timing, boost, <and Methanol> others are using to overspin stock turbos to produce numbers that are close at lower RPM. Then really look at the torque: at 5000RPM, the GT's are putting down over 100lb/ft more than those with stock turbos using excessive timing/meth. Some notes/highlights when you are comparing graphs:

• Boost: This tune runs 16lbs of boost until 4500RPM, and then climbs to 18lbs of boost. Even then, in cool weather, it is out of fuel. There is another 50lb ft of torque available by going crazy and commanding 18lbs of boost below 4500RPM. Bigger fuel pump fixes this.
  • Timing: Zero on the hit, climbs to 9 degrees about halfway through the pull, and max's out at 12 degrees of timing. If others aren't telling you how much timing their tune has.. its a lot..
  • No meth: With that little timing, I shouldn't have to say it, but that means no Methanol, this is done on 93 Octane pump gas with 10% Ethanol.
  • Dyno: This dyno pull is on the industry standard DynoJet 224. Wildly different results with different dynos.
  • SAE Standard: This dyno pull is reported in SAE standard. Most dyno graphs are published in STD standard, which results in inflated numbers. Compare apples to apples.
  • Email Tuned: Needless to say, I do recommend MPT for these results.
If you are planning big turbos or have big turbos and having problems, don't get caught up in the negative hype here. Look at your foundation, make sure you aren't asking unnatural things of your engine (intake/exhaust restrictions), and work with your tuner to get it right.

16 to 18lbs GT Turbos.jpg

·
Registered
823 Posts
2011 3.5 Ecoboost, Full Race GT turbos, Wagner Intercooler, Full Race Catted Down pipes, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, Tifosi Performance Zero Restriction Catback, MPT Email Tune for GTs with 4 revisions.

Before naysayers tell you the GT Turbos don't make much more than stock.. find out how much timing, boost, <and Methanol> others are using to overspin stock turbos to produce numbers that are close at lower RPM. Then really look at the torque: at 5000RPM, the GT's are putting down over 100lb/ft more than those with stock turbos using excessive timing/meth. Some notes/highlights when you are comparing graphs:

• Boost: This tune runs 16lbs of boost until 4500RPM, and then climbs to 18lbs of boost. Even then, in cool weather, it is out of fuel. There is another 50lb ft of torque available by going crazy and commanding 18lbs of boost below 4500RPM. Bigger fuel pump fixes this.
  • Timing: Zero on the hit, climbs to 9 degrees about halfway through the pull, and max's out at 12 degrees of timing. If others aren't telling you how much timing their tune has.. its a lot..
  • No meth: With that little timing, I shouldn't have to say it, but that means no Methanol, this is done on 93 Octane pump gas with 10% Ethanol.
  • Dyno: This dyno pull is on the industry standard DynoJet 224. Wildly different results with different dynos.
  • SAE Standard: This dyno pull is reported in SAE standard. Most dyno graphs are published in STD standard, which results in inflated numbers. Compare apples to apples.
  • Email Tuned: Needless to say, I do recommend MPT for these results.
If you are planning big turbos or have big turbos and having problems, don't get caught up in the negative hype here. Look at your foundation, make sure you aren't asking unnatural things of your engine (intake/exhaust restrictions), and work with your tuner to get it right.

View attachment 129794
Hey Jerry - super happy to see you continue putting up real data on real trucks! I see you're running FR catted downpipes on this one, did you ever work with them to get high enough cell count cats in there or did you have to customize and install your own to get it passing emissions in TX?

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Hey Jerry - super happy to see you continue putting up real data on real trucks! I see you're running FR catted downpipes on this one, did you ever work with them to get high enough cell count cats in there or did you have to customize and install your own to get it passing emissions in TX?
Hi Dave, no they weren't able to make a higher cell count downpipe and we don't have the time to play with downpipes right now. The defoulers were required. The next one we make we will try the 400 cell cats, pretty sure that will be bang on.

Side note: about 5 weeks ago I had to put bone stock downpipes back on the shop truck to test a final prototype. I didn't dyno it and at this power level, but I can tell you it killed a LOT of power. Very noticeable. My super accurate ;) butt dyno says > - 40lb/ft+ down low and - 25hp up top. I did very little wide open throttle as a result, I felt bad for my poor engine being choked like that.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Jordan wanted to see this..

Jordan and I are chatting about CAI, and I neglected above to mention the S&B CAI. Yes we sell those, love them. The pull above is running the S&B CAI. I was curious, just like Jordan, what the stock airbox was doing at this level and when we optimized the setup, I did a few pulls running the stock airbox and filter, this was done on the same day same dyno. Instantly killed power.. Here ya go:

SB Airbox at 5800rpm.jpg

CAI may not help you at lower power levels, but they are absolutely required at this level. I have PLENTY of intake throatiness and sound from the GT Turbos (and stock silences) that I didn't try the AFE cones under the hood. I like my stuff quiet :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Jordan and I are chatting about CAI, and I neglected above to mention the S&B CAI. Yes we sell those, love them. The pull above is running the S&B CAI. I was curious, just like Jordan, what the stock airbox was doing at this level and when we optimized the setup, I did a few pulls running the stock airbox and filter, this was done on the same day same dyno. Instantly killed power.. Here ya go:

View attachment 129802

CAI may not help you at lower power levels, but they are absolutely required at this level. I have PLENTY of intake throatiness and sound from the GT Turbos (and stock silences) that I didn't try the AFE cones under the hood. I like my stuff quiet :)
Thank you Jerry as always much appreciated.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
48 Replies
18 Participants
snakebitten
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing