F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello F150 Ecoboost,

I recently tuned my 2018 3.5 4x4 Screw 3.31 all stock with 5 star tunes and after a few revisions I wanted to get the truck dyno'd for myself and compare to 5 stars dyno perf 93 sheets AND to get some nah Sayers some numbers.

5 Star Tuning definitely didn't disappoint, Josh has been great through the whole process and the customer service is on point.

This dyno test was done on 94 husky fuel for both stock hit and tuned hit.

This was the first hit on the dyno, Max 432WHP @4900rpm - 553TQ @3400rpm The power curve looks pretty good.

Stock tune dyno results are 343whp @4800rpm - [email protected]

5 Star Tune netted including decimals Max Power 90WHP - 146TQ

Parallel Diagram

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,057 Posts
Sweeeeet!

Aren't them Gen2 tuned motors something else? This platform has matured well and you can just walk in and buy a truck, load a file, and have an AMAZING truck.

All without doing anything crazy or risky.

Congrats

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,472 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
Josh definitely knows what he's doing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Why do I keep reading these!!! It makes me want to trade in my 2015.

Edit: should the last line in your post say 99whp?
Probably 89.

Reactions: Elmore328

·
Registered
373 Posts
Awesome stuff.

I assume you’re running Petro 94?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He mentioned it was husky i believe. Also i never noticed you and i are in the same city! haha small world

·
Registered
373 Posts
I work in the south end of town! Honestly I've ran petro once or twice but never noticed a difference with it and husky. I run shell 91 myself as it is E0 which i like

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
I work in the south end of town! Honestly I've ran petro once or twice but never noticed a difference with it and husky. I run shell 91 myself as it is E0 which i like
Well, there seems to be a few of us in the area, probably have to get a meet up put together this sometime.

I watch OAR and timing under WOT pretty closely. Petro seems to offer the best so far.

I used to run Shell 91, but get almost 4* more timing at WOT with the Petro 94.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,057 Posts
Well, there seems to be a few of us in the area, probably have to get a meet up put together this sometime.

I watch OAR and timing under WOT pretty closely. Petro seems to offer the best so far.

You know, thinking about what you just said I can't help but wonder if sometimes we suspect our "tunes" aren't what we want them to be (blame) when what we are really seeing is our tune reacting to inferior fuel?

Or put another way, I'll get a better KR behavior than another fella running a similar tune but we live worlds apart with very different fuel access?

I've read many posts about my Canadian brothers efforts to chase the good stuff down. I often take for granted how easy it is to find good consistent 93 where I spend most of my time.

Ideal OAR and KR are not such a struggle.

Reactions: Boostking

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
You know, thinking about what you just said I can't help but wonder if sometimes we suspect our "tunes" aren't what we want them to be (blame) when what we are really seeing is our tune reacting to inferior fuel?

Or put another way, I'll get a better KR behavior than another fella running a similar tune but we live worlds apart with very different fuel access?

I've read many posts about my Canadian brothers efforts to chase the good stuff down. I often take for granted how easy it is to find good consistent 93 where I spend most of my time.

Ideal OAR and KR are not such a struggle.

I 100% believe Fuel "quality" to be a major factor. From the same high-volume station, I have seen pretty big differences in timing using the same fuel in the same weather conditions.

Other than getting race fuel from a can, it's pretty hard to find a really good fuel in these parts. I have ONE E85 station in my area and I'm not into mixing fuels.

OP is showing some awesome numbers though, glad to see it's doable in these parts. I'll be paying close attention once we start seeing summer blends.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I 100% believe Fuel "quality" to be a major factor. From the same high-volume station, I have seen pretty big differences in timing using the same fuel in the same weather conditions.

Other than getting race fuel from a can, it's pretty hard to find a really good fuel in these parts. I have ONE E85 station in my area and I'm not into mixing fuels.

OP is showing some awesome numbers though, glad to see it's doable in these parts. I'll be paying close attention once we start seeing summer blends.
OR ... you could live in the "Toolie Barbs" like me where there is NO E85, no 94 with ethanol and as I have said, the only 94 we get is more like 91.1. The only way I can increase octane here, is to either add 10-15% Ethanol or Methanol. I have tried both (have to buy retail in gallon jugs at a Hardware Store). The Methanol is cheaper (1/2 the price of pure Ethanol), works a bit better than ethanol ... but it is also more corrosive, so 10-15% is the limit.

Race Gas (in a can) does actually work. Tried it and got fantastic KR results. But the cost is prohibitive, so it's not a feasible option for daily driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

I've tried petro 94 and data logged it on the base 94 perf tune and 5 star said it was 92 octane*ish and I got more knock at WOT 5.00+. Switched to husky 94 and has simialar results, which I was filling up at husky on the YH @ 149th, switched to another husky near crappy tire on the west end and had great results and haven't had an issue other than slowly adding more power.

While on the dyno I got 3 data logs off plus after the dyno I fueled up at husky on the west side and then did 3 more logs for Josh at 5 star. Today I got my revision and then he asked to do some logging 0-60 and 5th gear 30mph to 90mph logs. During the 0-60mph log I decided to record it.
Did a 0-60MPH data log and the truck did it in 4.2 seconds according to the ngauge time stamps. Best 0-60 mph time was 4.7s, so im making little bit more power,
Knock is good as well.

https://www.facebook.com/scott.porter.148/videos/2104784862973756/

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
I've tried petro 94 and data logged it on the base 94 perf tune and 5 star said it was 92 octane*ish and I got more knock at WOT 5.00+. Switched to husky 94 and has simialar results, which I was filling up at husky on the YH @ 149th, switched to another husky near crappy tire on the west end and had great results and haven't had an issue other than slowly adding more power.

While on the dyno I got 3 data logs off plus after the dyno I fueled up at husky on the west side and then did 3 more logs for Josh at 5 star. Today I got my revision and then he asked to do some logging 0-60 and 5th gear 30mph to 90mph logs. During the 0-60mph log I decided to record it.
Did a 0-60MPH data log and the truck did it in 4.2 seconds according to the ngauge time stamps. Best 0-60 mph time was 4.7s, so im making little bit more power,
Knock is good as well.

https://www.facebook.com/scott.porter.148/videos/2104784862973756/
You can always spike your fuel with "boostane professional" if you can get it up north.

Works pretty good and has saved me from a bad tank once

https://www.amazon.ca/BOOSTane-Prem...ords=boostane&qid=1555446560&s=gateway&sr=8-1

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
You can always spike your fuel with "boostane professional" if you can get it up north.

Works pretty good and has saved me from a bad tank once

https://www.amazon.ca/BOOSTane-Prem...ords=boostane&qid=1555446560&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I think Race Gas might be cheaper. There is also 112 Octane available. Which is double the size but less than double the price.

105 OCTANE
https://www.amazon.ca/100016-Premiu...HFSWBRSCNBD&psc=1&refRID=SWH52GA5DHFSWBRSCNBD

112 OCTANE
https://www.amazon.ca/RACE-GAS-2000...s=race+gas&qid=1555448922&s=automotive&sr=1-3

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sweeeeet!

Aren't them Gen2 tuned motors something else? This platform has matured well and you can just walk in and buy a truck, load a file, and have an AMAZING truck.

All without doing anything crazy or risky.

Congrats

Anybody tuned needs an aftermarket CAC on it if you plan on racing it or towing heavy with it. Without one you will heat soak the engine in short order.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
I think Race Gas might be cheaper. There is also 112 Octane available. Which is double the size but less than double the price.

105 OCTANE
https://www.amazon.ca/100016-Premiu...HFSWBRSCNBD&psc=1&refRID=SWH52GA5DHFSWBRSCNBD

112 OCTANE
https://www.amazon.ca/RACE-GAS-2000...s=race+gas&qid=1555448922&s=automotive&sr=1-3
Those are both REALLY good products. But you gotta be super careful with the mixing ratio. It is very possible to mix it too aggressively and mess some stuff up.
Along with my company, Motor Sports Fuel & Eqt. are some of the only companies allowed to use MMT in their formulations. MMT is a super potent octane boost ingredient that was banned a while back, but a small handful of companies were "grandfathered" into the ruling and allowed to continue using it for their blends. ;)

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
I don't "race". It's my Truck.

I have raced motoX in my youth, bombers in my early adulthood, and IMSA modifieds in my 30's.

But again, this is my truck.

I do tow though. For many thousands of miles during the summer and fall. But not really "heavy" yet. Probably ~4500-5000lbs.

No heatsoaking yet. But I still WILL upgrade the CAC the very moment I start upgrading under the hood.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't "race". It's my Truck.

I have raced motoX in my youth, bombers in my early adulthood, and IMSA modifieds in my 30's.

But again, this is my truck.

I do tow though. For many thousands of miles during the summer and fall. But not really "heavy" yet. Probably ~4500-5000lbs.

No heatsoaking yet. But I still WILL upgrade the CAC the very moment I start upgrading under the hood.

Adding more power makes it run even hotter so it will heat soak even faster than stock. Monitor IAT2 and timing and you can see how much the timing is retarded once IAT2 gets hot.

I had a Wagner on my '13 and a Wagner on this one. They work very well.

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.