F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There isn't really a drivetrain section so I figured I would start here.
This is for anyone with the electronic rear locking differential. Have you used it? What conditions have you used it in? Has it really helped?
In the manual it says that it dis-engages over 25 mph, does it re-engage when you slow below that? I'm wondering because I had an open rear diff on a Ram i had and occasionally when towing our travel trailer in wet conditions I would have occasional difficulties starting out getting the pegleg spin. My last Dodge had the limited slip or whatever Dodge called it and I never had an issue. With this the diff is open and only will apply power to both rear wheels if that is turned on.
What has your experience been?

Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have the E-locker on my 2013 and have not had to use it yet but i did play with it some.
it does disengage above 20 mph but even with the open diff rear i find both tires spinning if i have traction problems probably due to the strong torque these trucks produce
if you had for some reason an issue where one tire was spinning and you were trying to pull out then you simply engage the locker by pulling out the 4x4 knob but beleive me you will know the locker in engaged, my dash indicater shows the locker engaged but even if i didnt see that when you turn a corner the inside tire is hopping and squeeling like it has a solid axle in the rear.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have used it numerous times (Especially come winter time). It is very effective in its operation and getting the truck moving forward. With extra weight in the bed of the truck bed I don't have to use 4wd most of the winter. It does kick in and out of lock when your rolling speed gets past the unsafe marker but then snaps back in when speed is back to operational levels. It is a sweet set-up and smart too. It makes very short word of Off-Roading and Wet boat ramps too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
IVe used it three times just playing around on the street.. The first two time was wide open runs with traction control off and the elocker on, left dual black marks up until about 35mph. The 3rd time i turned it on and turned it back off and it seemed like it stayed on with the switch off, could feel the truck jumping in the rear when turning at slow speeds... I stopped and backed up a little bit and it went back to normal.. Havent used it since. lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm not extremely enthused by mine. Yes it works, pull out the knob it engages. I would expect and like to have an electronic sensing rear differential. One that immediately senses the condition of one wheel rotating X number of revolutions then engaging. The GM G80 is a mechanical locking rear that does just that except its a mechanical mechanism and not electronic. Not that it would much matter to me how it was actuated.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have a 2WD EcoBeast with e-locker. I have used it several times with great success.
I was dragging a deck across my property to relocate it in the early spring. The ground was very slick and I was getting the single tire spin. I engaged the e-locker and was able to drag that deck across my property like nothing. The other few times was when I was trying to position my camper and I would have to go through a patch of Mud or grass. Worked like a charm. I also got stuck in a snow drift at the head of my driveway. I engaged the e-locker and drove right through. For the few times a year I would need 4wd it wasn't worth losing the towing capacity, but with the e-locker I am fairly convinced that I will never need 4wd for the type of driving I do.

SPPD

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I figured it would work better than the old friction types I just wasn't sure about the auto disengaging. I don't off road, it is used more like yours SPPD at least till I get my first scratch then it may see some dirt. Between the trailer towing (very infrequent) and this winter it may get a fair share of use.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i have used mine a couple of time in mud and snow and it seems to help but even when i turn my advanctrac and traction control off it still feels like it is cutting power to the cut power to the wheels, the traction control on these trucks to me is really annoying it has gotten me stuck a couple of times when it wheel spins and cuts power in the middle of a mud puddle i would have easily made it through with out. As far the lockers as i have noticed it wont engage over 20Mph and disengages between 25-30 Mph and if you dont shut it off it will reengage at 20mph agian.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Can you add an e-locker to a standard 2WD axle?

You can ask your "Ford Dealer" (just to scope out whats needed). But, I suspect you would need to at least change the differential and add a controller unit. My suggestion is wait a couple of years and pick them up at a junk yard. Also, if you decide you would prefer a certain gear ratio, change at that time. You can adjust the speedo with most of the electronic tuners.

Else, a simpler solution would be to change the rear differential for a Limited Slip Unit. Then you won't have to worry about it "unlocking".

But, if you have "Traction Control" you just may not need an E-Locker (if you aren't going Off-Road or a lot of driving in the Snow. Find some gravel road and boot your truck. If you see two "burnout" marks, you have traction control and it's simulating a Limited Slip Rear Diff.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
i ....it does disengage above 20 mph but even with the open diff rear i find both tires spinning if i have traction problems ....
Brian, I have done some research AND even played with it (Originally, I was looking to find a way to increase the speed the E-Locker disengages ... similar to a Raptor). You are absolutely right, if you are losing traction on one wheel, the Traction Control System will transfer power to the other wheel (by actuating the brakes on the other side). Effectively, it simulates Limited Slip. I got a chance to test the unit both Off-Road and in some snow.

If a person was "drag racing" where every 1/100th of a second matters, you probably wouldn't like this setup. But, for the "Average Joe" on the street, where they just want traction and don't care about "every 1/100th of a second" ... it's an effective setup.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I use mine a lot, especially on primitive boat launches and when I'm out in the woods, but someone needs to come up with a way to get rid of that damn speed limiter...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I use mine a lot, especially on primitive boat launches and when I'm out in the woods, but someone needs to come up with a way to get rid of that damn speed limiter...
Agreed! Some of us want to have fun without voiding our warranty with a tuner....

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
One of these days I'll grow some balls and take the plunge but my truck is to new for that.....
Come to the darkside... We have cookies and more boost...

Reactions: OxfordFX4

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
88,000 more miles to go and then I'll think about it.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
88,000 more miles to go and then I'll think about it.

The problem I've had in the past (waiting for my mileage to expire my warranty) ... then the vehicle is too worn out to modify and you break it. Another "been there, done it, hitched hiked home".

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ok...maybe 50K?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts