F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am test driving a new 2013 SCREW Lariate 4X4, the Eco Boost is a great test drive. I am deciding between the 5.0 and the Eco Boost engine. Is there any reason to avoid the EB? On other forums i read about the shuddering problem in the EB, how real is it. I don't want to be sorry I bought an Eco Boost later. I would appreciate some opinions on my engine choice.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey welcome! In the earlier models there were a few models affected by the problem you described but most earlier models do not have this issues. Ford has addressed the issues with the 2012s and up. There should be no worries about buying a newer model.
I was in the same boat when looking to buy my 2012 F-150 and decided that the EB was right for me. No regrets! 5.0l is a sweet motor I just love the EB power even more especially when there is a trailer hitched!

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only thing the Ecoboost doesn't offer over the 5.0 is the V8 sound. Having a V8 as long as I can remember made the change tough, but the EB is superior in every other way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found a 2012 leftover and just purchased it in March 2013. I was in the same boat trying to decide EB vs 5.0. After searching it out on the internet, decided the EB was for me, test drove it and loved it. If you're a younger driver and want that v8 roar then the EB is not for you, but other than that I can't think of any other reason not to get the EB. I've only had mine for 3 weeks and am very impressed with the power and constant smooth torque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would agree with the responses above. If you don't need the roar of a V8, then the EB should make you happy. It has at least all the power of a V8 and can pull great. If you are hung up on mileage numbers, then you may get the same or slightly better mileage at times from the 5.0, but I can assure you the EB will tow better. It produces a lot of torque at lower rpm's which make it great for towing. The mileage will suffer when pulling a heavy load, but what truck doesn't in that situation? I bought mine to pull my boat which is near 10k lbs. The truck has no trouble towing it at all, and was able to pull it out of the water in 2wd without locking the rear axle. I was impressed when I hooked up the trailer for the first time, and I have always had V8's prior to this.
I spoke to many different service departments about the EB and none of them had anything bad to say or even mentioned any common issues with them. They all said they have been very good, which is more than they could say about some of the diesel's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am test driving a new 2013 SCREW Lariate 4X4, the Eco Boost is a great test drive. I am deciding between the 5.0 and the Eco Boost engine. Is there any reason to avoid the EB? On other forums i read about the shuddering problem in the EB, how real is it. I don't want to be sorry I bought an Eco Boost later. I would appreciate some opinions on my engine choice.
i bought mine for the great gas mileage and improved towing power. while i admit towing is much improved over my 4.6 3 valve. the e/b just can't pass a gas staion. i got 8.2 mpg on my 2600 mile round trip to florida towng a 21 foot parker center console boat on tandum axle trailer. i am in a 2013 f 150 2wd regular cab xl with an 8 foot bed with just about 9000 miles now. driving around town i get about 16.8 and on the highway if i stay around 65 with the cruise on i can hit 19ish. not keeping this pig very long!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
For great gas mileage, you should consider a Ford Focus (they are great). If you can afford a boat, camper, etc...then it's assumed you can afford the fuel that any truck is going to take to pull it. Although gas maileage is improving everyday; it's still the facts of today.

·
Registered
256 Posts
40,000km and I had the shudder problem on a 20 hour drive through northern ontario pulling a traviler full of atvs. When I mentioned it to my service advisor he took care of it and i havent had any issues since. The 5.0L has the classic sound but if I had to choose again it'd be ecoboost all over again! power when towing is incredible.

·
Registered
860 Posts
lol, my daily driver is a Ford Focus ST and it's awesome :)

For great gas mileage, you should consider a Ford Focus (they are great). If you can afford a boat, camper, etc...then it's assumed you can afford the fuel that any truck is going to take to pull it. Although gas maileage is improving everyday; it's still the facts of today.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I debated for a while between the 5.0 and the EcoBeast. I chose the Eco and have not looked back. I am totally impressed with the power and the decent mpgs so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i bought mine for the great gas mileage and improved towing power. while i admit towing is much improved over my 4.6 3 valve. the e/b just can't pass a gas staion. i got 8.2 mpg on my 2600 mile round trip to florida towng a 21 foot parker center console boat on tandum axle trailer. i am in a 2013 f 150 2wd regular cab xl with an 8 foot bed with just about 9000 miles now. driving around town i get about 16.8 and on the highway if i stay around 65 with the cruise on i can hit 19ish. not keeping this pig very long!!
what rear axle ratio do you have?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
Nomorechevy
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing