F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone...

I am the proud owner of a 13 Kodiak Brown Ecoboost.. I totally love this truck and have had it now for about a month and a half. I have noticed since i have had it that when i start it up there is a pretty loud hissing sound and right before the truck idles down it pops.. Its not Super loud but it is very noticable.. Before it idles down and does the popping sound i am getting some black smoke out of the tailpipe.. As soon as it pops and idles down the smoke goes away and turns to the regular white steam and condensation. Is this normal? I don't know anyone else that has a Eco so i cant compare the 2 trucks. I have a video of it and around the .25 second mark is when it will pop and right when it pops you can see a little puff of smoke around the turbo area. So if yal would take a peek at the video and let me know what you think.. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
495 Posts
The other day, we had a rainy morning (which is rare for here) and I was surprised to see copious amounts of steam billowing from out front of my grille...
Luckily, Dear Hubby was standing right in front of the EcoBeast and saw the horror in my eyes! Apparently, the inter cooler gets very hot, very fast, and was the source of the vapor. Right where you're taping, is where one of your turbos is stashed... Same thing, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have not owned my truck long enough to familiarize myself with the intimate workings of the engine compartment. I can tell you that it sounds like my wastegate(s) opens at about the timeframe you referenced. If you have condensation in the wastegate pipe it would cause the steam. I got nothing for you on the black smoke. I have not noticed it with my truck. I'd suggest taking a video of the smoke and show it to your dealer. If you do please report back as this is the type of information that would be great to have the archives of this message board.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine makes the same sounds as you describe. Never seen smoke out the tailpipe when remote starting it yet.

2013 crew 4x4 with just over 3000kms

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
OK I went and googled some images and it looks like our turbos have internal wastegates. That would make it improbable if not impossible for there to be condensation in the wastegate pipe(s) due to the fact that it is integrated into the downpipe(s). Anything I would suggest at this point would be speculation. I would take the video of the black smoke as I suggest and either email or hand deliver both the smoke and pop videos to your service center.....or even park your truck at the service center overnight so they could see the cold start up first hand.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine makes the same sounds as you describe. Never seen smoke out the tailpipe when remote starting it yet.

2013 crew 4x4 with just over 3000kms
So you can hear a pop right before it idles down?

I have not owned my truck long enough to familiarize myself with the intimate workings of the engine compartment. I can tell you that it sounds like my wastegate(s) opens at about the timeframe you referenced. If you have condensation in the wastegate pipe it would cause the steam. I got nothing for you on the black smoke. I have not noticed it with my truck. I'd suggest taking a video of the smoke and show it to your dealer. If you do please report back as this is the type of information that would be great to have the archives of this message board.
I have youtubed alot of videos about black smoke on the ecoboost.. Seems like its a pretty normal condition.. Its just weird how it smokes until the pop then stops.. I do have alot of soot on the tailpipe tip.. Every Eco ive seen has been pretty black.. But i will definetly keep a eye on the pop and puff of smoke from the turbo.. I checked it this morning and i didnt get the puff from the turbo.. I took the video yesterday

OK I went and googled some images and it looks like our turbos have internal wastegates. That would make it improbable if not impossible for there to be condensation in the wastegate pipe(s) due to the fact that it is integrated into the downpipe(s). Anything I would suggest at this point would be speculation. I would take the video of the black smoke as I suggest and either email or hand deliver both the smoke and pop videos to your service center.....or even park your truck at the service center overnight so they could see the cold start up first hand.
Id like to take the truck in to the service dept but i have to have the truck in the mornings Just trying to figure out how i can let them keep it overnight.. I doubt they will give me a loaner. Ill see if the video is good enough for them.. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, new member here first post. My 2013 KR makes the exact same sounds on first start of day. The turbo's obviously whistle as they spool up and after a few seconds I get the pop from the electronic blow off valve. I work at a Ford dealer and listened to several and they all do it. Perfectly normal!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2013 and if does the exact same thing. Start up...get a slight whistle and some black smoke...then pop...then everything is normal. Have black soot on the end of the chrome tailpipe tip. No problem, just the normal Ecoboost.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I get turbo whistle, then pop then idle down. No black smoke. Saw elsewhere here it was normal. I kinda like the turbo whistle at first start up. Reminds me of a big Kitty Cat diesel engine. You can ID one of them from a mile away just by that sound!

·
Registered
169 Posts
The whistle is the turbos spinning. Once the engine reaches a status it slows the idle down and opens the wastegate allowing the exhaust to bypass the turbos. With the engine slowing the turbos are still spinning faster than the intake needs causing an overpressure on the intake air. There is a piece on the system called a blow off valve that pops open to release that pressure. It happens while driving when the engine shifts also but isn't as noticeable. I think that is what you are seeing when the pop noise is made and the little condensation puff shows in the video.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all that have replied.. This seems like a great forum.. Looking forward to sticking around over here..

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The whistle is the turbos spinning. Once the engine reaches a status it slows the idle down and opens the wastegate allowing the exhaust to bypass the turbos. With the engine slowing the turbos are still spinning faster than the intake needs causing an overpressure on the intake air. There is a piece on the system called a blow off valve that pops open to release that pressure. It happens while driving when the engine shifts also but isn't as noticeable. I think that is what you are seeing when the pop noise is made and the little condensation puff shows in the video.
Great info. So there is a blow-off valve in there. I have to start digging around in there to see whats in there. Blow-off valves are usually reserved for turbo cars with manual transmissions but again we are cutting edge. Now that sound makes all the sense in the world.:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think the ones on our trucks recirculate the excess pressure instead of dumping it to atmosphere. Some systems run worse with the VTA valves, my wife's GTI that is long since been replaced was like that. Searching around I found some info indicating that the 11-12 turbos are a little different than the 13 in that the valves are on the turbo housings and that if the pressure gets too high there is a vent releasing it to atmosphere. I too want to get under it and dig around, if it ever stops raining here that is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2013 and I get atmospheric blow-off. I installed a CAI that enhances the turbo sounds (which I happen to like). When you accelerate and let off the gas over 2000 rpms you'll hear the blow-off. Depending on much gas you're giving it when you release, the blow-off sound gets louder and longer.
A friend of mine has a 2011, and although it makes a slight blow-off noise also, it's totally different than the 2013...so something is clearly different.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My '13 with an AFE Stage 2 makes the same sound in about the same amount of time. It concerned me at first but my dealer said it is normal as the turbos begin to spool.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Perfectly normal, military intelligence, jumbo shrimp...

As has been stated this is the startup sequence of the Eco, the computer needs to "prove" before idling down, waste gates and pop off valves accommodate pressurizing the developed length of the intake track which is lengthened by the intercooler, the soot is caused by the bypassed exhaust in that moment when the system is idling down, and one of the reasons for the pop off valve is that the turbos are staged meaning that they are two different sized turbos which is to combat turbo lag by using the small one for lower revs and the larger one for the higher revs, the pop off valve and the waste gate work to quell overboost conditions as the larger turbo picks up and the smaller becomes dormant.

Soon someone will be selling the loud waste gates and pop off valves that the Subaru kids install for the Eco, you just watch

·
Registered
24 Posts
My truck makes the same hiss with the turbo, i assume its nothing bad. How ever my truck makes a seriouse click sound first thing in the morning. I will try too post a video of the sound, in my post about the problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The truck still has black smoke every morning when i start it.. Its not bad when i let it idle but this morning when i started it i gave it some throttle and a big plume of black smoke came out. Reminded me of a chipped diesel.. then it went away and started the regular white steam from the chilly morning.. Still has me concerned but the truck is running perfect and getting great fuel mileage (anywhere from 18 to 20mpg). I dont really want to take it in and them reflash the pcm.. Heard several people that say it seems like they have less hp and worse fuel economy.. Anyone else that has some black smoke mind giving it some gas and seeing if you get alot of smoke?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
18 Participants
curtis249
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing