F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have owned my ecoboost for a little over a year and up until now all is great.

Recently I noticed that under any kind of load over just your typical acceleration it seems to bog and misfire and it sounds very "airy" I don't know how else to describe it kind of like a flutter? Difficult to describe but I was hoping for some tips on what to look for as this is my first turbo charged vehicule.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a little bogging. Changed the plugs and gapped at .030 & all was good.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Almost just sounds like you have a massive air leak somewhere. Check all your piping and make sure every clamp and connection is secured.

·
Banned
103 Posts
The higher the level, density, of air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber the harder it will become to FIRE the plugs.

Due to the condensate build up in the CAC, and the occasional resulting EXTREME effective compression ratio(air+fuel+STEAM), it is very likely that you have now encountered enough spark plug/COP flashovers that you need new sparkplugs, or even ignition coils.

The problem exhibits in the worse case after driving sedately for a few hundred miles in relatively humid conditions and then suddenly going WOT.

But once the CAC depression fills with condensate some water will "lap" into the intake airflow even in "high" cruise.

So, over time, with relatively few misfires, either a carbon path, track, will form on the spark plug insulator, or worse yet, within the COP.

But it will not help to just replace plugs or coils, the problem will re-occur given enough miles driven.

Drill a hole...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hey everyone I have owned my ecoboost for a little over a year and up until now all is great.

Recently I noticed that under any kind of load over just your typical acceleration it seems to bog and misfire and it sounds very "airy" I don't know how else to describe it kind of like a flutter? Difficult to describe but I was hoping for some tips on what to look for as this is my first turbo charged vehicule.
Ford-ecobeauty,

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Service rep here on the forum. :)

Have you been to your dealer to have them take a look at this concern? Once you've got an appointment set up, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
The higher the level, density, of air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber the harder it will become to FIRE the plugs.

Due to the condensate build up in the CAC, and the occasional resulting EXTREME effective compression ratio(air+fuel+STEAM), it is very likely that you have now encountered enough spark plug/COP flashovers that you need new sparkplugs, or even ignition coils.

The problem exhibits in the worse case after driving sedately for a few hundred miles in relatively humid conditions and then suddenly going WOT.

But once the CAC depression fills with condensate some water will "lap" into the intake airflow even in "high" cruise.

So, over time, with relatively few misfires, either a carbon path, track, will form on the spark plug insulator, or worse yet, within the COP.

But it will not help to just replace plugs or coils, the problem will re-occur given enough miles driven.

Drill a hole...
And...FYI.....THIS guy ^^^... is an escaped mental patient whom we think has been recaptured and placed back in a rubber room for public safety.

Good to have Ashley here to help!

·
Registered
221 Posts

Drill a hole...
I FIRMLY agree with the earlier poster that correctly gapped plugs should do the trick, but also agree with Ashley that you need to take the truck in as this is a relatively common ecoboost issue and you need to make sure you also have updated PCM software and possibly execute TSB's for this exact issue if need be. That said I addressed the ignition system when mine did this by testing the coil packs and compression in cylinders to find that removing the poorly gapped factory plugs and installing the proper ones fixed the problem. I quoted this guy^^^ as an example what not to do as that is an over diagnosis of what is potentially an easy fix. More importantly if you care about your truck or your warranty (or both) I would absolutely NOT drill a hole in your CAC end cap or anywhere else on your CAC for that matter. No bueno advice on all counts.

Reactions: Jerryr

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Wasn't there a thread stating most dealers had a permanent fix for the condensation issue which involved removing all of the "sheilds"?

I'm all in for a dealer visit and a complain if that is the case.

Who would ever think that RAISING the intake air temp in an intercooler would do anything but sacrifice power?

·
Registered
750 Posts
All the so called fixes/TSB from ford are just band aids.
And you are correct you raise intercooler temps you are sacrificing power. It is a joke what they did to the 13-14 cacs.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
So what? Are people just removing the "sheilds" themselves?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Alright smartass's I was asking if people were doing that with good results or not. I am more than capable of removing the shields.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I have a 14" but what does that have to do with these trucks?

Family First

·
Registered
736 Posts
I cant feel if it made any difference and I haven't logged temps or anything so I can't say whether it made a difference or not. It's at least a weight reduction

·
Registered
221 Posts
All the so called fixes/TSB from ford are just band aids.
And you are correct you raise intercooler temps you are sacrificing power. It is a joke what they did to the 13-14 cacs.
Yeah they really are just kind of shooting in the dark, probably because they dont want to reengineer the CAC. However flashing the updated tune and software to the PCM is important and addresses some FAM and timing issues that will help. Really what the OP needs to do is swap plugs and make sure they are gapped well this time...not with ford gap

·
Registered
242 Posts
is swap plugs and make sure they are gapped well this time...not with ford gap
I read this and it makes my head hurt - why would the manufacturer/engineers of a particular engine intentionally put in incorrectly gapped plugs? That makes no sense whatsoever. It would be like them putting diesel in for your first tank of fuel. Is Ford's QC at the plant really that bad? If that is the case, I need to trade this POS back for another Toyota. I guarantee those nips don't put the wrong plugs in their engines.... Really?

I hope you can hear my frustration with this. I've not checked my plugs so I may have 6 different gaps going on in there. .....this is making my head hurt. I need to stop reading these forums...

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Forced induction engines run really tight gaps in the cylinders. There is lots of good information here. Guys that are tuned are running as low as .028 most of us are running .030-.032 gaps. On the 2011's my manual says .032-.034 but those plugs were superseded. But the ignition burns hot and on my 2011 2 had carbon tracking and all 6 were gapped over .035-.038 and had craters on the tangs. The new plugs in the 13-14's are stronger and have not shown as much blowout and crappy gaps as the originals. Oh and Ford Engineers changed it to a .031-.032 gap now. And changed them at 25-40k and not 100k like ford states. I checked my gap after about 5000 km just to make sure they stayed tight with the new plugs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts