F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2014 ecoboost that I recently purchased. A few weeks into driving around town it started to make this buzzing noise upon acceleration. It seems to only happen after a cold start (10-15 min into driving) and for a few seconds at a time. Then it just goes away for pretty much the rest of the day. There was another thread on this but it's rather old, and doesn't seem to have a solution.

Goober posted this video of the noise...his was much worse than mine but mine does the same thing. Dealer has a hard time replicating it. It seems to only happen when accelerating just enough for the turbos to kick in and spool up.

IMG_1295_zpscde1243b.mp4 Video by Dakotart | Photobucket

any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It seems like it is not dependent on load or rpm.
Is that true?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine started doing this too only on cold starts in the morning and its definitely in the dash somewhere. I'm hell bent on finding it tonight, gonna go exploring. It'll probably end up with me starting a new thread how do I put my dash back together. I'll let you know if I find something.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So I have a 2014 ecoboost that I recently purchased. A few weeks into driving around town it started to make this buzzing noise upon acceleration. It seems to only happen after a cold start (10-15 min into driving) and for a few seconds at a time...
Welcome to the forum, MG14! When you were at the dealer, did you take the tech on a test drive? If not, I'd recommend that as a next step; demonstrating the noise for them will help them diagnose. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine started doing this too only on cold starts in the morning and its definitely in the dash somewhere. I'm hell bent on finding it tonight, gonna go exploring. It'll probably end up with me starting a new thread how do I put my dash back together. I'll let you know if I find something.

Let me know what you find. Mine is cold start only too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum, MG14! When you were at the dealer, did you take the tech on a test drive? If not, I'd recommend that as a next step; demonstrating the noise for them will help them diagnose. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

I took the master tech on a drive but was unable to replicate the noise since the engine was warm. I left it there for about 6 hours and tried again but the engine hadn't cooled enough to replicate it. Another member suggested it was the engine cover, which the dealer resecured and it still makes the noise. It's only on a cold start (10-15) minutes into driving it will make the noise in the above video. I showed the video to the dealer, the service writer said he recalls a TSB for the vents that open up for the turbos having a similar noise to that and they can look into that next.

It it seems to also only happen when the AC is on, but not 100% sure on that fact. Current mileage is 21,100.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Last night I removed the glove box and started looking around in that vicinity and tried to feel for any loose parts etc. search yielded nothing. The sound is definitely coming from somewhere up by the defroster vents pretty much dead center of the console. I'm going to try and find out how to pop the top of the dash panels. I have a feeling its something stupid like a loose wire harness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last night I removed the glove box and started looking around in that vicinity and tried to feel for any loose parts etc. search yielded nothing. The sound is definitely coming from somewhere up by the defroster vents pretty much dead center of the console. I'm going to try and find out how to pop the top of the dash panels. I have a feeling its something stupid like a loose wire harness.
Same for me. Is yours affected by the AC being on or not? One member suggests removing the engine cover. He said that solved his issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not affected by the AC being on or off. I don't think its the engine cover I've had the hood open and listened there too. Something around the defroster vents is where the source has to be coming from. Just seems weird that it's only for a few moments when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,422 Posts
Have you actually taken the engine cover off and road tested yet? Where it was vibrating for me is where it hooks into the back of the engine, right under the defrost vents

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,422 Posts
Ahh, well that sucks.. Hmm

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got the noise pinned down somewhere between the gauge cluster and the window. I think its somewhere closer to the gauge cluster. Time has been my enemy this week, but tonight is looking like I won't have anything going on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just hit 20000 kms on mine and it started doing it. Funny thing is that when I'm in park and rev it to 1100 rpm it won't make the buzz. Only when I drive and reach 1100 rpm then it makes the buzz. Annoying as hell!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.