F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

First time poster, long time lurker. I purchased my '13 XLT Ecoboost on Friday. Extremely happy with the purchase. I popped the hood today and couldn't help but notice the rough, spider-webbed finish on the block. Is this normal? I've never seen such a rough finish on any other engine block. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Is that the timing chain cover just below the valve covers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that what it is? the picture was taken at the front left of the engine bay. but yes, those are the valve covers that you see above. am I only looking at some sort of casing? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Probably to much work to grind or smooth the casting imperfections. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
is that what it is? the picture was taken at the front left of the engine bay. but yes, those are the valve covers that you see above. am I only looking at some sort of casing? thanks for the help.
Yeah, that should just be the timing chain cover. I've seen galvanizing do this when heated up, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
just weird how smooth that countersunk hole is to the right.
It may have gotten a better coating than the flat surfaces did during the dipping process.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's totally normal, both of my ecoboosted vehicles block look like this and the spare engine I have at the shop. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. This is a great site. This is my first Ford Truck and I must say, I should've done this a long time ago.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes this condition is normal on the 3.5 aluminum casting process. That being said not all aluminum blocks are this unfinished. The rough casting surface is not indicative of any cracked block circumstances.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My motorcycle engine (ST1300 Honda) has the same finish (same with the ST1100). I was told that it is indicative of sand casting aluminum. It's supposed to be the best way to make aluminum block engines short of milling from billet (which would be obscenely expensive).

Please correct any errors I this info...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts