F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a used 2012 3.5 Ecoboost crew cab with 60,300 miles. Purchased 6 mos. ago with 54,000 miles. Have a 1 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and a 2 year/100,000 year engine warranty. I have experienced the dreaded misfire shutter and loss of power (CAC issue). I am taking the truck next week in for diagnostic to local ford dealership. When I called Ford corp. about this they appeared clueless and did not know what I was talking about. After giving them my VIN, they stated no recall/TSB for particular VIN. Yet after searching not only this site by internet in general there are a few TSBs out there including TSB 14-0017 and 12-10-19. Are TSBs specific to VIN? Also, when the engine light come on (as when I experienced this issue last week), does the truck computer log this so it can be picked up by an OBD II scanner? If I hooked up a OBD II scanner as I was driving the truck would it give me a code that would be helpful to the mechanic? Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Yes, TSB's are usually linked to specific year models and VIN's.
Did your CEL (Check Engine Light) actually come on or was it the flashing wrench symbol? If it was the CEL, then it should have some sort of code stored. If it was the wrench, indicating that the truck went into 'limp-mode', then there probably won't be any stored information.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did this happen randomly or when accelerating? Just asking as I had it happen twice on me last week driving to Chicago and I can’t get it to do it again. Both time were when I accelerated to pass on the highway.

I got flashing engine light and no codes were stored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2011 did it. Took it in dealer said it was a coil. I had coil and all 6 plugs replaced. Six months later it did it again, went to auto zone and rented diagnostic tool, it said cal 3 was misfiring so I replaced all the coils. It still had the problem so I replaced # 3 spark plug, it had a small crack, you could see carbon where the crack was. 6 mos later did it again, replaced all spark plugs. Runs fine. Problems started about 70000 miles. So first you see the wrench so accelerate really hard and it will start missing and the light will stay on so you can diagnose which cylinder it is. So now when I accelarate I can feel a vibration but only when put a load on it.??

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
That's why a catch can helps to keep all that PCV crap from fouling your spark plugs.
Love your sig.....do you actually own a 70' Torino?
Possibly one with the Semi Hemi 429 Boss (wishful thinking-lol)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
drill the hole mod in the bottom of the IC.. worked for many

·
Premium Member
378 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 Ecoboost S-Crew has the same issue but i have not seen the wrench or the CEL. Just a miss under normal throttle with a slight load on the engine. I have replaced plugs, drilled hole in the CAC, and I am thinking about coils. Dealer says all TSB's for this truck have been performed. I bought it used with 36000 on it and now have 75000. Not sure what to do at this point other than coils. What are the best ones to go with?

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
My 2011 Ecoboost S-Crew has the same issue but i have not seen the wrench or the CEL. Just a miss under normal throttle with a slight load on the engine. I have replaced plugs, drilled hole in the CAC, and I am thinking about coils. Dealer says all TSB's for this truck have been performed. I bought it used with 36000 on it and now have 75000. Not sure what to do at this point other than coils. What are the best ones to go with?
Stick with the Motorcraft COP's. And while you're in there, double-check the plugs that you replaced. It's pretty easy to crack the insulator and that could result in a misfire under load. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the response. I have looked at the Accel COP set but have not seen any reviews for them. I will check the plugs but i was very careful during installation not damage them or put too much pressure torquing them down. I have read all about the plug issues and did not want to cause further problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member, so excuse me if this is covered elsewhere.
Just had the third instance of severe missfire with my truck of 94k miles. First time I could see carbon tracking. Second time, no tracking but a rusty brown material on porcelain between plug Base and boot. These plugs had only 10k miles. As I was rving in death valley, no auto parts in sight, so removed plugs, scraped off the material, regapped plugs, coated porcelain with diaelect grease, torqued plugs and drove out of the valley up 3000feet, under load, no missfire! No stored codes. I have had a hole in the IC for past 10k. Read the uses for this grease, might be the answer we're looking for.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Somewhere over the rainbow on one of the multitude of threads on this same subject there is a guy who had brown shzt on his plug bases and porcelain....acting same......his plug well seals were dried out and leaking....might be something to look at:cool: Use of dialetric may be interupting the path for current/short but is only hiding the symptom and not fixing the disease. Have fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
These trucks just spit plugs out if you ask me, maybe due to the fuel being injected so close to the tip of the plugs. If all that carbon builds on our intake valves at least some of it is getting caked to our plugs. I usually try to change my plugs every other oil change and just consider it preventative maintenance. I have a 2012, 70,000 miles, no weep hole, tuned and holding 23lbs of boost through my rpm band and I've never had one instance of this misfire or CEL. It takes me longer to get my oil filter off usually then to swap plugs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older post but I'm starting to experience this with my 15 3.5L. I had some issues with it over fueling, running rough and pouring white smoke out of my exhaust. I replaced the plugs with NGK's and ran a can of 44K through it and it's been fine. The other morning on my way to work, I took off from a red light and all of a sudden the truck fell flat on its face, CEL started flashing and then the power came back and was fine the entire way to work. It has done it 5 more times since Monday, everytime it has stored codes for misfire on the entire drivers side of the motor. 4, 5, and 6, not sure if a cam or crank sensor is causing this or something else. Here is everything that was cleared on the truck when I scanned it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts