F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a 2015 3.5 Ecoboost and I’m wanting to change out my muffler for a louder one that will make my truck sound more aggressive. I currently have a resonator delete and a pretty nice tune on the truck but I don’t really know which muffler I should go for. I’m torn between either a pre-axle exhaust or just using the stock exhaust rear exit. I just don’t know which muffler to get. I’m wanting this to be a relatively easy and not to expensive. Y’all got any tips or suggestions? I’m pretty dumb when it comes to figuring out what exactly to get especially when there’s just so many different options.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm a cheap buggar also, but did some looking at what was available and decided to go with Pypes 4 inch. A mild SS aloy, BIG piping, and huge straight thru muffler, no resonator. Damn thing sounds pretty good! Yet quiet enough that my 70 year old wife does not mind long drives in it. The turbos provide a lot of sound control, and with stock tailpipe exit works well. I did have the tailpipe ending a few inches short of the body edge and that was nasty, added a tail[pipe past the body and all was well. Big pipe, big muffler, gentle on the go pedal and all is good! Comments about drone confuse me a bit as I don't think I have any but maybe it's to do with the regular cab configuration.
KM

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'm a cheap buggar also, but did some looking at what was available and decided to go with Pypes 4 inch. A mild SS aloy, BIG piping, and huge straight thru muffler, no resonator. Damn thing sounds pretty good! Yet quiet enough that my 70 year old wife does not mind long drives in it. The turbos provide a lot of sound control, and with stock tailpipe exit works well. I did have the tailpipe ending a few inches short of the body edge and that was nasty, added a tail[pipe past the body and all was well. Big pipe, big muffler, gentle on the go pedal and all is good! Comments about drone confuse me a bit as I don't think I have any but maybe it's to do with the regular cab configuration.
View attachment 165929 KM

Not bad, have a video of outside and a drive by?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I’ve read is that the extended cab can have more drone than others especially if you end the exaust right before the tire. But I’m thinking with going with the super 40 from flowmaster. I know it’s not the best for performance but it sounds pretty dang good to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually scratch that. I think I’m going to do the flow master fx and have it exit before the tire. I bet it would sound pretty good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not bad, have a video of outside and a drive by?
Yes but not much WOT, I care more what I hear inside, outside not much at all.
cold start and drive
2000 RPM 2nd gear
freeway ramp 0-80

KM

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
It’s crazy how pretty much every single aftermarket muffler or exhaust system you put on these engines sound extremely similar. Whether that be a full on $1200 cat back system or $100 muffler swap. Some just seem to sound like a bullfrog when revving the engine more than others but most of those are ones with resonators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I chose to do the super 40. I had a resonator delete already so I just removed the old muffler and put this one on. The video is a cold start. The audio cut out a bit for some reason and my VTA Mod is extremely loud so that’s what that crappy whistling is.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
845 Posts
How are you liking the shifting on that BCB tune? Say from a 1/3 throttle, normal on ramp entry. I could swear my RPM sit at 3k from 35 up to 72 (in a 65, not on the I-state). Was wondering how their work transferred over to the later models anyways. I've not had any other tune, but i've found the BCB to be more than I need out of the box, and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
How are you liking the shifting on that BCB tune? Say from a 1/3 throttle, normal on ramp entry. I could swear my RPM sit at 3k from 35 up to 72 (in a 65, not on the I-state). Was wondering how their work transferred over to the later models anyways. I've not had any other tune, but i've found the BCB to be more than I need out of the box, and am very happy with it.
If you mean me (?) i like the tune. Using the Highlander I add 5%-10% pressure to the shifts, the custom 93 octane is set to 5% by Casey according to my request. KM

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
845 Posts
If you mean me (?) i like the tune. Using the Highlander I add 5%-10% pressure to the shifts, the custom 93 octane is set to 5% by Casey according to my request. KM
Thanks for the input! I left my shift pressure alone, and it seems fine to me. Might be different strat, model year or trans even (Dunno if you got a 10 speed vs my 6).

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I got a 2015 3.5 Ecoboost and I’m wanting to change out my muffler for a louder one that will make my truck sound more aggressive. I currently have a resonator delete and a pretty nice tune on the truck but I don’t really know which muffler I should go for. I’m torn between either a pre-axle exhaust or just using the stock exhaust rear exit. I just don’t know which muffler to get. I’m wanting this to be a relatively easy and not to expensive. Y’all got any tips or suggestions? I’m pretty dumb when it comes to figuring out what exactly to get especially when there’s just so many different options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had roush racing exhaust installed on my '14 tremor. was worried about hiway drone. did not get any and it exits on front of r/r wheel. it ant't cheap but it looks and sounds great. don't know if any hp gain, but roush says approx 7 hp.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
It’s crazy how pretty much every single aftermarket muffler or exhaust system you put on these engines sound extremely similar. Whether that be a full on $1200 cat back system or $100 muffler swap. Some just seem to sound like a bullfrog when revving the engine more than others but most of those are ones with resonators.

So ^, why I am a fan of the resonator delete and stock muffler with it dumped....... deeper tone, not too crazy at all, no inside cabin noise or drone, great cold idle, good Lil growl in town driving, hint of a little something something when you get on it.....

All the aftermarket mufflers & kits, I do agree, all sound similar and are too loud for me and the Lil v6 just IMO none sound good with the loud set ups, even more so when they are deleted too..... it is too "I wanna sound like a v8" just like the v6 Dodge Chargers or Challengers or v6 Camero, I just roll my eyes cause they don't sound good with any aftermarket exhaust.....

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
So ^, why I am a fan of the resonator delete and stock muffler with it dumped....... deeper tone, not too crazy at all, no inside cabin noise or drone, great cold idle, good Lil growl in town driving, hint of a little something something when you get on it.....

All the aftermarket mufflers & kits, I do agree, all sound similar and are too loud for me and the Lil v6 just IMO none sound good with the loud set ups, even more so when they are deleted too..... it is too "I wanna sound like a v8" just like the v6 Dodge Chargers or Challengers or v6 Camero, I just roll my eyes cause they don't sound good with any aftermarket exhaust.....

View attachment 165982

View attachment 165983
I freaking absolutely love my exhaust now since I did the muffler swap, the resonator delete wasn’t a very noticeable change for me when I did it, I was happy I didn’t spend much on it. But we all like what we like

I will admit though, I still chuckle a little inside when out and about and people complement my exhaust, which has happened quite a bit surprisingly.

When i first did the swap I wasn’t too sure about it but now it’s one of my many favorite mods, Even better it was only a little over $100, so happy I didn’t spend $1k plus!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for the input! I left my shift pressure alone, and it seems fine to me. Might be different strat, model year or trans even (Dunno if you got a 10 speed vs my 6).
2017 2.7 so a 6 speed. I do miss a manual, hence the reason for more positive up and down shifts. It's quite mild in normal but sport and tune combined feel like an old B&M manual shift body installed in a turbo400 trans. KM

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just ain't any way to make a 60 degree v6 sound like a 90 degree cross-plane crank v8. The v6 fires evenly side to side end to end. The v8 winds up firing a pair same side in sequence making the exhaust burble.There is also an octave shift between the groupings of cylinders.
On the other hand the differences are a joy to hear during a historic road race. Inline 4's 6's 5's, V4's 6's 8's 10's 12's, flat or boxer 4's 6's 8's 10's 12's and an occasional h or v 16, a dash of flat crankshaft versions, Wankel's and turbocharging. Hell a local once ran an old Cooper F3 with a 500cc single, sounded like a BSA 441 Victor! KM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts