F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost that I have had for about 8 month. Noticed a noise in the front right area upon starting the lasts about 3-5 seconds. Noticed more in the cold weather and upon starting only. Does not repeat during driving. I am thinking that this is something normal for the Ecoboost. Called the dealer and they did not have a clue, which I am not surprised. Sounds like one of those little air compressors that you plug into a cigarette lighter plug.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hmm.. I don't here anything like that either. Does it go away after the truck warms up for 3-5 minutes?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Might be the fuel pump you are hearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've notice an odd sound on cold start up as well, but very rare. I think it may be the variable timing on the cam adjusting. Not positive though

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting the same noise on a cold start. Standing outside the pickup when my wife starts it to back out of the garage, I can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned on and upon starting this noise is described very well by hiltonkmj as sounding like one of those little compressors, lasts 3-5 seconds and goes away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am getting the same noise on a cold start. Standing outside the pickup when my wife starts it to back out of the garage, I can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned on and upon starting this noise is described very well by hiltonkmj as sounding like one of those little compressors, lasts 3-5 seconds and goes away.
New to forum but have the same problem. Just diagnosed at dealer as a faulty vacuum assist pump that kicks on when vacuum from manifold is low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
New to forum but have the same problem. Just diagnosed at dealer as a faulty vacuum assist pump that kicks on when vacuum from manifold is low.

Just started getting the same sound. Did the dealer fix the problem and have you had any other issues with the noise reoccuring? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hear what I have thought was turbo whine for first few seconds until the rpm's drop. Don't hear it from the cab, only when I start the truck from open door to warm up and walk back into the house in the morning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hear what I have thought was turbo whine for first few seconds until the rpm's drop. Don't hear it from the cab, only when I start the truck from open door to warm up and walk back into the house in the morning.
I do hear the turbo whine, but this sound is not the turbos. In a previous post it was discribed very well as like an air matress pump. In the cab it's not overly loud but when you get out of the cab it is extremely loud. Have an appointment at the dealer to see if they can figure it out. I know it's not normallysupposed to be like this because the noise just started a week or so ago and seams to be getting worse. Will post something when I find out something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
eco1.jpg
I recently ran into a noise left front on Ecoboost F150, a loud noise lf on acceleration, only happens cold.

Notice there are only 2 mounting bolts at the rear of the manifold, this is where the turbo is mounted and the majority of the heat is located.
Have the manifold surfaced and replace the gasket. The turbo is easily excessible if you remove the drivers side wheel and inner fender well.

Enjoy, Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our 2013 makes a weird sound on the first start of the day. If you stand at the front of the truck and remote start it. It sounds like it is drawing air past the air cleaner the a solid thump and the air sound stops. I'm wondering if it's the BOV being open on cold start as the high pitch turbo whine stops when the air sound stops.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:(I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost that I have had for about 8 month. Noticed a noise in the front right area upon starting the lasts about 3-5 seconds. Noticed more in the cold weather and upon starting only. Does not repeat during driving. I am thinking that this is something normal for the Ecoboost. Called the dealer and they did not have a clue, which I am not surprised. Sounds like one of those little air compressors that you plug into a cigarette lighter plug.
I have the same noise! Sounds like it is coming from under the hood on passenger side. Only on cold starts & when i put it in gear with my foot on the brake or when taking off from stop. Once it warms up it won't do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same strange noise coming from my truck. Sounds like it's under the hood drivers side. Brought it into the dealer the other day to see if they could fix it and they told me it was a faulty vacuum pump. They also told me they would have to keep my truck until they got a replacement part which could take up to a week and a half. The reason being is if the pump completely failed the brakes would go to the floor. Not good. Very unhappy I have to be without my truck for that long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes. The dealer replaced the vacuum pump and it fixed my issue. Wierd that it has only happened a few times. When mine started it happened all the time and just before I took it to the dealer it even was doing it while driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took mine in for the same thing and warranty denied replacing the part, said its normal for it to kick on and off, which is complete BS if u ask me because i never heard it once up untill it got cold out. I brought my truck in and told them exactly what was going on and what the part was, they had it for a complete day and said oh sir sorry it took so long but we couldnt get it to come on except once.

Strange considering it comes on every time i start the truck etc. Ford didnt want to replace it because they said it wasnt bad enough to where it needed to be replace, lets just say i was extremely pissed off when they told me that.

Ive been driving it and just dealing with the vacum assist pump making noise, i sure hope like someone above says if it fails i will loose my power brakes, I see most people bring it in and the dealership replaces it not mine, maybe i should try a diffrent dealership.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
28 Participants
qbfordguy
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing