F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pull a 30' RV with my 2016 Supercrew Ecoboost and a ProPride hitch. 7500 lb loaded trailer. My question relates to the brake controller. My trailer pushes my truck when I apply the brakes. Of course, it should not do this. I set my Gain to 9 at the moment. I noticed the Output is not lighting up fully when I apply the brakes harder. I usually get 2 lights on the Output screen. My Gain is plenty high but how can I adjust the Output to work the trailer brakes harder ? The faster I have to stop, the harder my trailer wants to hit/bump my truck. I can apply the trailer brakes manually and the trailer will stop better but that is dangerous to me.
I have a 6 1/2 foot bed, 3.5 Turbo Ecoboost, 4x4, XLT with trailer option.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a very similar setup as you, but a ‘13 Platinum Screw SB 4x4 3.5 EB with Max Tow and I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH. When we bought our current trailer new in April of 2016 I noticed the same thing. I had to turn my truck’s built in brake controller up to 9 or 9.5 to get it to work properly. But over time it got better and now I typically run it at 8 to 8.5. I think it may be because the self-adjusting trailer brakes had not self adjusted enough when it was new and it took awhile for them to do so. You might want to manually adjust your brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I think parkerbill is correct. You should start by manually checking the brake adjustment at the trailer. I tow with a 2012 and have my gain set at about 7-8. If I was up at 9, when braking the trailer would actually pull back on truck (way too much trailer braking.) Not sure about model/year differences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both parkerbill and DNA Dan. I will adjust brakes. When I had my brakes replaced a year ago, the mechanic told me I would be able to go down to a Gain of 2 or 3 after some breakin but it is not happening. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Some of those brakes are setup to adjust themselves while braking in reverse. Sometimes they can get rusty and get stuck so they don't adjust properly.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've destroyed a self adjusting try to adjust it. You would think I would learn to leave alone

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. My last brake change happened because the auto adjust messed up. My mechanic removed the auto adjust. Good move or not ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you back up your RV, apply the brakes quite hard or make a special application in a parking lot somewhere. Do this a couple of times. This used to work on cars with drum brakes and I think this works with RV brakes. I've never used the +/- controls on the dash but maybe they work in addition to the electronic read out (otherwise why have it?). My trailer is 10,000 lbs and I tend to back up faster than my wife would like. The silver lining seems to be my RV brakes work so well I could almost forget I was towing (which is probably not a good idea).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts