F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New member from Alabama.

I currently own a 2001 Chevy Z71. I will be in the market for a new(er) truck this summer. I'm trying to get a jump start on my research as I'm not sure if I want to stick with the Chevy brand. I'm not a fan of their new engines and the cylinder deactivation.

Ive owned a 1995 Ranger and a 1997 F150. The F150 had a V6 and ended up with a cracked block at 98,000 miles and I ended up having to put a new motor in. After that I swore I'd never own another Ford vehicle.

Moving on to current times. I am really liking the looks of the new F150's and am very intrigued by the Ecoboost. My truck is used as a daily driver for work (12 round trip miles), my wife and I use it for trips, it's my hunting truck, and I rarely tow anything bigger than a 20 foot bass boat.

I'd like to know the good, bad, and the ugly of the Ecoboost. Any fuel economy over what I drive know will be an improvement, but I do want the best bang for my bucks.

Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have the "12 Ecoboost Platinum, my stepson has the 2013 Silverado and says it's a dog, the interior is still inferior to the F150. His next one will be a Ford,and he works for a Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use my truck for the same exact reason as you except I do not use it for work as i have a 52 mile commute one way, and haul my 18' bass boat, and use it for whatever else and i can tell you i love this truck, the only thing i wish i would have done different was have the tow mirrors put on it, that is a option i can change i get 16-17 driving locally and on a good day 19-20 on highway i believe these trucks are tempermental when it comes to fuel mileage but have no regrets

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Last truck was an 06 Silverado.
Bro in law came over in it today, couldn't wait for him to get it out of my sight...lol
I don't miss it one bit.
Both get you to point b, one does it much better...

·
Registered
900 Posts
The Good

1. Instant Smile when you hit the gas
2. Even bigger smile when you cruise around with the windows down listening to the turbos
3. Decent Fuel Mileage when drove right
4. Will pull almost anything with ease
5.Pisses off the V8 truck owners when you whoop there ass
6.Rides Great
7.Quite

Bad
1.Rear tires seems to wear down faster

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said. My family have all new chevys and having my truck side by side my truck is far more superior. With everything in regards to handling , power, and interior.

Plus I do everything you do and I couldn't be happier with my truck.

It doesn't hurt that its fast as hell!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your on a eco boost forum. I think it would of been better if your title was name 1 thing you hate about your truck. I think that would of gave you the info your looking for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My pro's and con's from the first 8 months of ownership.
Pro's
-Awesome power
-Decent fuel mileage
-Decent access to under hood components such as air filter etc
-Quiet
Con's
-Minor Turbo lag off the line when your toe is not on the gas pedal
-Changing the oil isn't the most convenient

Overall - Very happy with the purchase. Installed a k&n to help spool up the turbos a bit quicker. Seemed to help although the lag is minimal and the improvement is probably in my head. I have used it to cart kids back and forth to daycare, Haul a 27 foot RV through the mountains, take a long road trip 16 hours round trip and in every situation the motor has been very good. Very glad I steered away from the other options and chose the Ecoboost F150. BTW, this is my first ford ever so any bias here has been earned by this truck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nitpicking here. Overall I really like the truck.

The single detent in the door stop is such a small but very bad decision by Ford. I just ordered the aftermarket door detent so my wife doesnt keep sending my door ghanking against the stops everytime she opens it more than 6 inches, let alone an unsuspecting passnger who could send it reeling into a nearby parked car. These are big doors and gain some mementum when they start swinging out. A 2nd detent seems like a no brainer, but Ford blew it.

The lumbar in the front driver seat is a faulty design that makes a consistent ton of noise. And dont let them replace the entire mechanism because that doesnt fix it, they need to adjust the tension spring so the seat doesnt contact it or you will get a squeak every time you shift your weight back in the seat. Even after they silencaed that sound I still have a knocking noise coming from the other side of the lumbar area. Planning to take it back a 3rd time in hopes my $40,000 truck can stop sounding like an antique rocking chair.

Dont listen to the trolls about poor MPG... They must not know how to drive, or just got a lemon, because I have seen 20+ MPG on a 500 mile road trip when the truck was new and I was driving it mellow, and average 14+ around town in stop and go traffic... 16+MPG mixed which I am happy with... If you drive it much over 70mph on the highway you will not see MPG in the 20+ range.

The truck started out really quiet as far as squeaks and rattles... but seems to be making a bit more noise as I near 7,000 miles... Minor noises like the plastic panels inside creaking (more so when they are cold) and a couple other noises I cant pin down yet. I just started getting a thumping noise from the left rear of the truck when I go over washboard type bumps. Gonna try and pin that down next because I never heard it when it was new.

Very comfortable and smooth at moderate to highway speeds (I've had it up to 90mph+), but de-accelerating and accelerating at lower speeds around town sometimes causes the drivetrain to clunk and shift a bit less than smooth. There are other topics on this, namely the clunk a lot of owners notice in the F150 drivetrain when it engages.

I have never owned a turbo vehicle, but do notice a bit of Turbo lag if you get on it under 2,000 rpms... its like sometimes the truck doesnt feel that impressive/powerful, but it all depends on how you get on it... bogging in the RPM range with the engine under a load and then mash the pedal down to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle you will probably notice it lugging a bit at first, but get it near 2,000 RPM and watch out, it goes good! I really like the select shift transmission for making the power behave the way I want it to, and the Automatic on its own seems to make pretty good shifting decisions. It will usually try to upshift as much as it can when not under a load, although I do notice sometimes that I have to fully let off the gas for it to shift into 6th gear.

2013 XLT S-Crew 4x4

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I traded up from a 2006 Ranger to a 2012 XTR screw. I love it . Packed 4 adults & 2 kids to Silverwood theme park a week after we purchased it. It got us there. Better than the 4 adults in the Ranger to Idaho Peak the week before. I I just like the LARGE truck with awesome power.

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
First Ford product I have ever owned, and I bought my first car in 1967. Have 20K on my 13 and have been very happy with it. Last truck was 05 GMC Denali. 3 things swung me over from another Denali, console shifter, retracting running boards, and tail gate step. V6 does not get any better mileage than the V8 unless you drive 60 MPH, and who actually does this. Overall mileage after 20K is 14.9. High was on 1250 mile trip back home to Texas from California. At one time I was averaging 18.6, but when I dropped down in elevation it started dropping and was 18.2 when I got home. I have no regrets buying this truck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Always been a Chevy fan. I then switched over to Toyota and got a Tacoma. I loved the Tacoma, but I needed something bigger to handle the new camper. I bought a Tundra. Tundra was OK, it towed the camper fine, but it was boring to drive - not fun. I have not owned a Ford for 20 years, but found myself at the dealership. The test drive was awesome, told them exactly what I wanted (fx4, ecoboost, tow mirrors, nav, sunroof, lux package). To my surprise they found my exact truck being delivered to another dealer the following week, and had it redirected. Made an awesome deal and the rest is history.

I love my F150 ecoboost. It's fun to drive and has all of the power I will ever need. Gas mileage isn't the greatest, but I can live with it. My biggest pet peeve is the turning radius, not as tight as the Tundra, but really only notice it in parking lots and when backing up the camper.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Bought mine in Sept 2012, now had just over 17K on it. Traded a 01 Ram 1500 for it and have not looked back. Tow a flatbed trailer with anything from a lawn tractor/snowmover to a 3900# Cuda and it works as well as the diesel Dodge company truck I had a few years back.

Squeaks and rattles, yup, there are a couple. No where near as many as the 55, 56, 69 Chevy's I had or the 78, 01 Dodges or the 90 F350 owned previously. It rides really nice, in fact it has become our primary mode of transport since purchase.

Fuel mileage is quite good, actually. Since its been so brutally cold this winter here, it averages =/-13. On the plus, it has never failed to start even one morning at -18F ambient temp! Saw 10 mpg that morning! Trips have seen 20-23 depending on prevailing winds. I use the cruise control a lot and find it is far better than me. Also find not wasting time getting up to speed yields better results than creeping away.

As for performance, I took it to the local track last summer and cranked a 15.204 ET in the quarter mile letting it do what Ford designed it to do. No fancy driving, no 4 wheel drive leave, no manual shifting, just let the truck do all the work. Took a week to get the grin off my face!

There are many reasons a block will crack. Not sure why yours did but in the parts business I've seen them all do it from time to time. You, unfortunately were the bug that time.

I have no hesitation when recommending to friends and customers. BTW, this one is my ninth Ford, and all but one company provided car are from the same dealer! They have treated me well.

Go for it! Then post photos!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just bought mine a week ago, had an 08 Ram 1500. IMO there's no comparison between the 2, I was sold on the ecoboost during the test drive, that's all it'll take.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you're keeping a truck for as long as you have had this one... Go with the 14 Chevy or a f150 with the 5.0. I've owned both the Eco and 5.0. Granted I got one of the bad eco's, so my taste was tarnished. I don't need to race my truck or need it to outrun others. I have cars to do that with. The 5.0 tows all I need it to, just like the Eco did and gets better mileage doing it. The Eco is a beast though, still just know too many guys that have them that are having to mod them to make them dependable.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
since you last owned a ford i would say their quality has come a loooong way. this is my first ford, and first truck and i've owned it for a month and a half now and i cant really say much bad about it. my only recommendation is make sure it comes with the e locker or LSD rear end. the open diff is awful. other than that its comfortable, capable, and they look really sharp. as with any turbo vehicle, keep up on oil changes and use good oil and you should be ok. this is my third turbo'd vehicle and it hasnt really thrown me any surprises.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was in the same spot you are, I have always driven Chevy trucks. I needed something that got better gas mileage and could pull my bass boat. I had been researching on what to get next and the Ecoboost kept leading me in that direction. I have never been happier with a vehicle. I have pictures on here of my Ecoboost hauling my buddies broken down chevy, I was absolutely amazed at it pulling it on a 60 mile trip at 70. He has a plug and play via bluetooth and was monitoring my truck the whole time, the truck barely knew it was there. My only recommendation is to pay attention to the gear ratio. I recommend the 3.55 gear ratio. If you get a higher gear ratio than that your mileage will go down by 1-2 mpg.

I also think that with the crap going on with GM right now I would steer clear of them.

We use the Dodge trucks for where I work and I personally think they are junk.

This Ecoboost forum was a huge help for real world info about getting my truck too.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts