F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 3.5 EB 6.5 bed 3.55 gears 122K 34" tires and leveling kit

Problem:
  • Periodic rough idle. Sometimes the truck idles very low and sometimes it idles very rough.
  • When accelerating at 30-40 mph uphill or when driving slowly through town the truck shakes and it feels like I'm driving over grooved pavementPoor mpg (13 mpg at best when running stock with mixed hw/city)
  • Occasional shaking/surging when cruising down highway going 45-65 mph
  • On two occasions in the past week the truck has shaken extremely hard and nearly stalled after being started. These weren't cold starts. The truck was started 8-10 times in those days and it happened at a random point during both days.
  • Absolutely NO ENGINE LIGHT
Repairs made so far:
  • Weep hole drilled in intercooler
  • Spark plugs replaced and gapped at .30
  • All 6 ignition coils replaced
  • All MAP sensors cleaned and MAP sensor on intake manifold replaced replaced
  • Intake valves have been cleaned
  • I have flashed and computer, performed KAM resets.
  • PCV valve has been checked
I hooked the truck up to an OBD2 scanner and everything on the truck checked out. I monitored O2 sensors, Cats, Lean vs Rich fuel, everything. I dropped the truck off at a very respected Ford dealer in town and they couldn't find anything when they scanned the truck. I took it to another shop and they ran diagnostics on the truck and drove it for a long time. The mechanic acknowledged that there was something wrong, but he couldn't pin point it with diagnostics. He said that my plugs looked fine.

I've read a lot about guys with malfunctioning torque converters that are causing the same problems that I am having. Torque converters are known to cause feeling of running over rough pavement and they can cause the vehicle to idle strangely. I'm beginning to lose my patience with this truck and I need some suggestions on what I should do. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first thought was torgue converter as well. But you say it runs rough just sitting as well right? My second thought reading through would be dirty intake valves, but I see you cleaned those. Another thing that came to mind would be a vacuum leak somewhere. The vacuum hose by my throttle body intake was pulled off for a while and it seemed to cause a bunch of issues for me where the truck would rev up and down and misfire a bit. Hooked that back up and it seemed smoother. It's a long shot though, but worth a check.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Can't a faulty torque Converter affect idling behavior too? It makes sense to me for a torque converter influencing how a truck feels across the spectrum.

Think of a warped flywheel/worn clutch on a standard transmission vehicle. It could introduce deteriorated feel at both idle (in gear) and while rolling

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
OP, next time it idles rough, shift to neutral and see if it changes anything?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Sort of sounds like the throttle body is acting up? I've read that on this forum several times about faulty ones... although I've never experienced this behavior and I have a pinch over 80k on my 14` Boost.
I will tell you that from time to time (boredom. ....in the form of modifying OEM plastic pieces-lol).
I'd do a throttle body reset.
1. Turn the key to the on position-don't start truck.
2. Slowly depress the accelerator pedal to the floor.
3.Quickly let off of skinny pedal.
4. Repeat cycle like 4-5 times.
5. Restart
You probably already know this procedure....seems like you've tried everything, except maybe cleaning the three sensors?
20191018_093228.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't a faulty torque Converter affect idling behavior too? It makes sense to me for a torque converter influencing how a truck feels across the spectrum.

Think of a warped flywheel/worn clutch on a standard transmission vehicle. It could introduce deteriorated feel at both idle (in gear) and while rolling

You make a good point on the torque converter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts