F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
Traded my Silverado (I hated that thing) for a 2013 f150 ecoboost with 79,000 miles on it about 3 weeks ago. Test drove it for a day, loved the truck, bought the truck, thought i had crawled over every inch of the truck, next day I get home and noticed a small spot of antifreeze in my drive way coming from the passenger side. Called my dealership, said if it continues to leak to bring it back and they would gladly fix it. So i drop it off little over 2 weeks ago to be diagnosed the next morning. Hear nothing from them the entire day, so I call the following day to find out that the leak was a simple overflow tube, but the tech found out that the turbo on the passenger side was dead. long story short, they ordered a turbo, started to put it in and noticed that someone broke the head bolts off trying to remove the turbo and the head of the bolt had fell down on the turbo holding the wastegate open. No check engine light, nothing, truck would fly, honestly had no idea. I am shocked, Dealership is shocked, The repair is suppose to be finished tomorrow and I am curious as to if this turbo failure has or will cause other issues to the engine? I am concerned about long term, any input or experience would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Hunter

·
Registered
541 Posts
Turbos fail - that's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I'd be more worried about the idiot with the monkey wrench that broke head bolts off, and what other issues are lurking under the surface that you don't yet know about.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd say you got really lucky that you found this so quickly and they are covering it! You might have them look down at the cats and make sure nothing made its way down past the turbo.

Waste-gate open just means the turbo couldn't build as much boost, and took longer to build boost. You should make more power with it functioning properly and the turbo should spool quicker. You should be diesel-like torque down low. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts