F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new truck, and these three seem to be my top picks. I know, I know....I'm comparing apples and oranges when comparing the tacoma to 150, but right now I still consider it to be in the running. This truck will be my daily driver to and from school (about 80 miles round trip), so I would like to get decent gas mileage. I would be satisfied with anything over or around 18mpg. I'd like to get it in a 4x4 too. I plan on hauling my side by side and four wheeler from time to time, and use it down at the deer lease. I like the concept of the Ecoboost, but as far as reliability goes, it makes me a little nervous. I like the tacoma just a little smaller than I'd prefer. I dig the 5.0, but not sure about fuel economy. I realize each truck is going to have a trade off. I was just wondering if I could get some insight and opinions on what you guys think would fit my needs the best.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Towing a SxS and atv is only about 1500#, plus the trailer weight. That's not going to be an issue for any of the trucks mentioned.

Test drive all of them and see what you like the most. We can all give our opinions, but the ultimate decision will be which you feel most comfortable spending your hard earned money on.

My opinion is my opinion and I'm not gonna try to sway yours or anyone's....
I'm bias to Ford, as that's what I've owned. I prefer the options / body style / motors. I prefer a full size truck as well..
All the EB owners swear by the EB, and all the 5.0 owners swear by the 5.0.

Its apparent which truck I prefer and which one I feel was a better motor option, for me at least.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
My first brand new truck was a 96 Tacoma 4x4 with 3.4v6 and 5speed manual trans. I loved that truck, abused it, and it never gave me any problems. But that truck only got about 16mpg.

I have a '13 F150 FX4 Eco, now. About the same or better fuel economy, with every creature comfort I could want right now, and then some.

Both are good trucks, but one is bigger. If you plan on carrying folks in the truck, the F-150 is the only real option.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Best bet is to see what your budget will let you afford and then go drive all three and see which you like best. All have their ups and downs. I'm driving 60 miles to school right now and was doing 120 for a semester. Find whichever you like sitting in the best first haha!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
When I first started looking for a new truck, the only truck on my list was a taco. Initially it seemed like a good fit for me- good mileage, a bit of towing capability, great reliability, and a capable truck off road. Then I did some research. Turns out, the mileage isn't that great (considering how small it is) and it is way overpriced. If you are going to buy a small truck, a frontier is probably a better bet. A Tacoma has a great resale value, but it is way overpriced to begin with, so that is actually a draw.

I test drove a limited 4x4. It had decent power, but the back seat was soooo cramped (it was a four door model). My wife is 5'8", so fairly tall for a woman, and she was cramped. No way I could four guys in that truck comfortably.

That's when I read online about the ecoboost. Totally changed my thinking about the whole thing. Here was a truck that seemed to offer it all- towing capability, mileage, and a better value compared to a taco IMO. It was basically two trucks in one. One that got great mileage, and could tow over 11,000 lbs.

I started researching other 1/2 tons, and the only one that I thought came close was a dodge, but I wasn't a huge fan of the body style and it couldn't tow as much as the f150 max tow. So I went and test drove an fx4. I loved it and so the next week I went in and ordered one up. I have never regretted that decision. True, I have only had it about 6 months, but I have yet to find a complaint and have 28,000 trouble free miles.

The only thing about my truck was by the time I finished ordering it, I spent quite a bit more on not than the taco I was looking at. But the way I see it, I got two trucks when I bought mine.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have a friend who bought just about the exact same truck I did. My rigs specs are in my signature at the bottom of my thread. He drives his way more than I do and his is mostly driven unloaded. His fuel economy is starting to come around, as is mine (roughly 6000 miles on each, he bought his 2 months ago and I bought mine in Feb) He end I were talking the other day and he told me on his 65 mile one way commute to work, speeds 70 to 75 he averages 16.5 to 18. I just took mine on a 700 mile trip with speeds 65 to 75 and made 18.4 mpg onloaded. I was impressed to say the least. If you drive it nice in town I make 15 to 17. My disclaimer is to let you know that I have seen 11.5 mpg unloaded, in 4wd and a snow storm up here in North Dakota. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13,060 Posts
My 2012 XTR boost was 3,000$ more than a TRD. What made my wife decide on the ford. The space. We have the super crew & 6 seats. Can fill that truck up with bodies & no one is touching. Ya the taco will get into tighter spots but when u decide to have a family, u don't need to buy a minivan. Just buy a tonneau cover

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
We just bought the F150 Super crew as a family vehicle to replace our windstar! I run a duck dog and since the floor in the ford is flat I can stick his crate right in the back and still have 4 seats to use.

Got a folding tonneau too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate all the input guys. I'm kind of leaning towards the Ecoboost now, but I'll be sure to test drive them all. Another thing I was also hearing is the mileage Ford is claiming isn't very accurate. Any truth to that?
Thanks

·
Registered
393 Posts
Appreciate all the input guys. I'm kind of leaning towards the Ecoboost now, but I'll be sure to test drive them all. Another thing I was also hearing is the mileage Ford is claiming isn't very accurate. Any truth to that?
Thanks
There are so many variables that go into calculating MPG. Conditions, driving habits, modifications, weather, etc......

Reactions: strongarm18

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did you decide?
I bought my 2013 EB in June...and love it. My city average is 17.4 (moderate driving) no crazy pedal to the metal and when I drive to orlando (2 hours) @ 75 mph I average2 20.5 mpgs.
Bought an XLT 302 package max towing and all and I love it. The interior of the EB blows away any of the other trucks I drove as well as the options.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was honestly looking at the tundra and the avalanche when I decided that I wanted to get a truck. It wasn't until after I did a ton of research on engines and all the different trucks out there that I went with the EB. The numbers just don't lie. The Superduty Transmission, HP and Torque. And it looks great to boot. Do your research for your applications and go with what fits.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I was honestly looking at the tundra and the avalanche when I decided that I wanted to get a truck. It wasn't until after I did a ton of research on engines and all the different trucks out there that I went with the EB. The numbers just don't lie. The Superduty Transmission, HP and Torque. And it looks great to boot. Do your research for your applications and go with what fits.
Exactly. Except it doesn't have a super duty tranny.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Reactions: Kc311
1 - 15 of 15 Posts