F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Very first post, been lurking for a little while. I'll try and keep it short.
So, i had a 2018 company Crew Cab, 4x4, 2.7 ecoboost and i really liked the truck. I had to give it back when i left the company and am now looking at buying a similar setup. i'm looking at 2015 or newer model F150's (primarily 15,16 and 17 model years) and am looking at the 3.5 Ecoboost or the 5.0. I've put a lot of miles on the 2.7 and really liked it but for my personnel use, would want one of the larger options. I've spent quite a bit of time in a 14 with a 5.0 that has been bullet proof... Just reaching out to the Ecoboost group to get any good bad and ugly on the motors?

Little info, i'm looking to purchase a truck with anywhere from 40k-80k miles and plan on running it to 150k-200k miles as trouble free as possible. I read the Gen 1 FAQ thread, and found it very interesting but it got me thinking about what changed in the Gen 2 versions? any good or bad years for these motors and trucks? 6 speed vs 10 speed problems/reliability?

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
If I knew for sure I was not going to be towing beyond the 2.7 "comfortable" range, I'd stick with that motor. I say that because of your mention of long-term reliability desires.

I'm not saying you can't get long life out of the other choices too, but statistically they are more likely to experience issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Gen 2 3.5 starts in 2017. 2018 got larger turbos.

Gen 2 2.7 starts in 2018.

TBH, the 2.7 is probably the most reliable motor in the F150. I hear very few issues with them. If you are not towing, and even if you are towing <7000 lbs, then I really dont see a reason to go to the 3.5 over a 2.7 other than all out speed.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
While some members have had issues with the Gen 1 3.5, the majority of complaints I have seen are from "1st time users" who were just 'trolls' who posted just to complain, but had no hard facts. And you never know how well they maintained them (or abused them).

I personally have had very few issues in my 7 years owning my Gen 1 3.5. A warped manifold (covered by warranty) and a problem with my radio controls, again fixed under warranty. And my truck is not stock. I have a few bolt-ons with a tune and have been dyno'd on a Mustang Dyno. You can see my RWHP/RWTQ in my signature.

Though I really would like to get a new truck, at this time I am in no rush to trade my Gen 1 in. I still think it is a great looking truck, and I like the styling.

Frankly, all three engines are great. The 3.5 is the Torque Monster. The 5.0 is a high revver (with that classic V8 sound ... though I have grown to like my V6's sound), and the 2.7 is a very powerful engine, especially if you get it tuned.

PS: I am a long-time Chevy guy, and played with dozens of SBC in my lifetime. This is actually the first Ford I have ever owned, and based on my experience, it won't be the last.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys, I really did enjoy my 18' 2.7 EB, but i will need the option to tow heavier on my personnel truck. I don't really want to push or limit any of my towing options.
What are you guys seeing on the 2.7 vs 3.5 that makes them a bit more solid? Anything i can look out for aside from maintenance records?

Ultimately, i really want to get to that 200k mile mark with as little down time as possible.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Thank you guys, I really did enjoy my 18' 2.7 EB, but i will need the option to tow heavier on my personnel truck. I don't really want to push or limit any of my towing options.
What are you guys seeing on the 2.7 vs 3.5 that makes them a bit more solid? Anything i can look out for aside from maintenance records?

Ultimately, i really want to get to that 200k mile mark with as little down time as possible.
-You want one with frequent oil changes(5000 miles seems to be the magic number around here) and good oil. These engines are tough on oil due to the heat and power they make in such a small package, so if someone neglected it, then its probably one you want to avoid.

-You wanna be able to cold start the 3.5 to be able to listen for timing chain rattle/cam phasers. There are probably a million videos on Youtube of this so you know what it sounds like. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens often enough to be aware. The 2.7's don't seem to have this issue.

-Warped manifolds are common on the first gen 3.5(2011-2016). This would be obvious if you cold start it and get on the gas hard off the line. It should sounds like a high pitched chirping, screeching. The sound tends to go away as the truck gets warmer unless its really bad.

-Watch for the plastic oil pans. They tend to leak.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Further to frequent oil changes, it seems those who do change their oil in 5K (or less) also have less issues with their timing chains. The phasers seem to be the culprits, they don't like old/dirty oil. Clean oil is supposed to be the key to a long phaser life.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
617 Posts
Along with the clean oil, a Motorcraft or equivalent oil filter with an anti-drainback valve.

·
Registered
554 Posts
with an anti-drainback valve.
What is this? Can you elaborate?
I buy the Motorcraft filters but I've never seen a valve... just o-rings and the filter

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Along with the clean oil, a Motorcraft or equivalent oil filter with an anti-drainback valve.
Good catch. According to the link posted by @snakebitten it is to prevent the oil from draining back into the engine, and causing a "dry start" while the engine fills up the filter on start up (much like when you get your oil changed and your oil filter is empty). This is due to the oil filter located on the side of the engine instead of the at the bottom (like the good old days).

PS: Whenever I get my oil changed, I always hold the accelerator peddle down (to prevent the engine starting) until I can see the oil pressure gauge move. Ditto on start-ups in winter when it is freezing outside. I figure "priming" the motor with oil in cold weather, will help extended the phasers' life and delay/avoid the dreaded timing chain rattle.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
From Bob The Oil Guy website

The ADBV (Anti-Drain-Back-Valve) is visible in this cut open filter

The Amsoil filter is equipped with an ADBV as well

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Can you even get filters without ADBV that fit this truck? Seems like pretty standard feature in any modern spin-on filter.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
617 Posts
Not sure but I know there are filters that fit my Ranger without the ADBV.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Can you even get filters without ADBV that fit this truck? Seems like pretty standard feature in any modern spin-on filter.
If they are from China.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Super Modistrator
2,282 Posts
Since this thread has taken a slight fork discussing oil filters I thought I’d add this link. Pretty decent read though I certainly wouldn’t recommend it as the end all when choosing an oil filter. It does provide good info and is current. They state Motorcraft is the most affordable oil filter of the bunch. That’s gotta be a plus if you’re changing your oil frequently and counting pennies. They also give one reason as to why it’s less money. It appears all of the leaders use anti-drain back valves.

I read the whole article, it didn’t change anything in my mind. I’ve got a half dozen Mobil 1 filters in the cabinet for both my 3.5 L and it’s baby boost 2.0 L little brother for the engines in my and my kids current vehicles. I have a daughter, she always asks me if I need some help changing my oil? I make sure she knows it’s getting close to time. The next sentence that usually follows is, well while we have the stuff out we can just change mine too. She does the same thing when I’m doing a serious detail too. How can you not love a daughter like that? I’m so proud of her. Even if I didn’t have these filters on hand I’d still buy Mobil 1’s. What can I say? Works for me. :)

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Since this thread has taken a slight fork discussing oil filters I thought I’d add this link. Pretty decent read though I certainly wouldn’t recommend it as the end all when choosing an oil filter. It does provide good info and is current. They state Motorcraft is the most affordable oil filter of the bunch. That’s gotta be a plus if you’re changing your oil frequently and counting pennies. They also give one reason as to why it’s less money. It appears all of the leaders use anti-drain back valves.

I read the whole article, it didn’t change anything in my mind. I’ve got a half dozen Mobil 1 filters in the cabinet for both my 3.5 L and it’s baby boost 2.0 L little brother for the engines in my and my kids current vehicles. I have a daughter, she always asks me if I need some help changing my oil? I make sure she knows it’s getting close to time. The next sentence that usually follows is, well while we have the stuff out we can just change mine too. She does the same thing when I’m doing a serious detail too. How can you not love a daughter like that? I’m so proud of her. Even if I didn’t have these filters on hand I’d still buy Mobil 1’s. What can I say? Works for me. :)

I am fully on board with the Fram Ultra filters. Fram gets a bad rep from their lower end filters but the Ultras are extremely well built.

They used to be $5-$7 l(the tiny ford filter was $5 but the huge XG8A i used on my Jeep and now my 4Runner were $7) but prices seem to have gone up in the last year which i was assuming was related to the trade war.

I run my filters out to 15k miles. Oil comes out pretty clean even up to 7k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts