F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Building a 1966 F100~250 with EcoBoost. Using engine and trans from a 4x2 Eco with 6000 Miles, New Chassis from Ford and 1966 Sheet Metal.
This is the truck I bought with 6000 miles on it. Purchased a new frame from ford. A few teardown pics.

Having a issue with my photobucket account will add the pics as soon as I figure it out. PB changes things each time I access it. Very confusing And like the old PB much better.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Your a good man keeping the EcoBeast rolling down the road and it will be even more impressive rolling down the street in a (new) old school body!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a cool project. My first truck was a 1967 f150 ranger camper special. The thing was solid like a rock but it killed my pocket book on gas! Love to see more pics as your project goes!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Once I got the truck home the teardown was started. It was hit very hard in rear destroying anything rearward of cab. The leaf springs looked like pretzels, axle housing bent, axle sheared off. The tailgate was not recognizable.

A few pics of teardown. ALong with cab removal which was unbelievable easy. The entire truck was pleasant to work on with all very well thought out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Plan is to use the entire 2011 F150 Floor pan and to graft it into the '66 Cab along with firewall from the 2011.
Is everyone familiar with term "Quiet Steel"? the new F150's have a firewall made of quiet steel which will drastically quiet down the cab noise in the '66. Also making it much easier to mount the Adjustable pedals, fly by wire throttle, HVAC system and more.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A 1966 Short Bed truck has a 115" wheel base and a long bed 1966 has a 129" wheel base. The closest New 2012 Frame I could buy was the 126" WB from a Regular Cab Short Bed 5.0 Truck as the shortest WB on a ECO was 145"

So what I plan on is moving the cab forward 1" to make up a bit of the 3" needed and to also center the Front axle better in wheel well than a stock '66. I will then shorten the 8' 1966 Box 2" or move the '66 Box wheel opening forward 2". The reason for that is I want to use all ford components in the complete chassis.

I had to purchase a new fuel tank to fit the 126" chassis along with new fuel and brake lines and E-Brake Cables, And the rearward wiring harness. Cost in the 6-700$ range for all. I ended up purchasing a brand new axle housing, adding a limited slip to the original 3:15 gear set all at a cost far less than buying a "used" unknown rear axle assy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice project. You realize you're going to have the first Ecoboost truck with a gas cap right?:D
Nope! It will actually have the cap less fuel filler. I cut out the piece from side of EcoBox before it went to the dumpster, I will weld it into the side of '66 Box.
Plastic around Eco filler was cracked so bought a new one. The door itself was still good. Amazing considering how destroyed the box was.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Nope! It will actually have the cap less fuel filler. I cut out the piece from side of EcoBox before it went to the dumpster, I will weld it into the side of '66 Box.
Plastic around Eco filler was cracked so bought a new one. The door itself was still good. Amazing considering how destroyed the box was.
Awe man. I love the gas cap on the cab at the bed rail on the old trucks. Did those have the fuel tank behind the seat?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awe man. I love the gas cap on the cab at the bed rail on the old trucks. Did those have the fuel tank behind the seat?
Yes tank behind seat on stock '66. This truck will have stock 2012 tank inside rail in stock spot. I will keep the stock gas cap on cab and most likely put a power switch hidden under cap. Or something just to make outside look stock.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yes tank behind seat on stock '66. This truck will have stock 2012 tank inside rail in stock spot. I will keep the stock gas cap on cab and most likely put a power switch hidden under cap. Or something just to make outside look stock.
That'll be the perfect place for door release switches if you shave the door handles.:cool: ...or you could pop a bouquet of flowers in there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great project.

Reactions: Roxxolid
1 - 20 of 387 Posts