F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the main differences and usages of the two components for the truck? Not quite gettin manual!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Traction control monitors and eliminates tire slip on acceleration. Traction control modulates the brakes and cuts engine power to compensate and eliminate tire spin.

The electronic rear differential provides the driver manual control to lock the rear axle/wheels in a 1:1 relationship. Use case would be in a canted rear situation where one rear wheel is spinning free and receiving the power transfer and the remaining rear wheel contacting the ground is not receiving an power transfer. Engaging ERD will distribute power to both rear wheels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx joe makes sense .would drivin without traction control change fuel consumption

·
Registered
519 Posts
thanx joe makes sense .would drivin without traction control change fuel consumption
If your at the point to where the TC is engaging to control wheel spin, your likely using too much throttle. :D Using less throttle will likely net you better mileage :D

I've heard a mention that turning off trailer sway control has benefited mileage, but I no way to actually substantiate.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
To make a difference in fuel economy it would need to engage, as any time your brakes engage it hurts fuel economy. However, it will only engage when the car-puter senses an unsafe condition and you would want it to kick on because it just might save your backside. I strongly discourage people from deactivating a safety feature on your truck. I have never had my sway control engage even when I have experienced some minor sway towing the SolAire. I believe that these safety features will only engage when they really need to and that is when I want them too. Fuel economy be damned if it is at the expense of myself or my family’s safety!

SPPD

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not influencing anyone to turn off any safety features like sway control while towing as that wasn't part of the stated use case. The poster does ask about fuel economy but doesn't qualify it by implicitly stating while towing. Hence trailer sway control being enabled in a non-trailering situation was implied and merely stated other F150 EB owners have been having conversation and dialog with this feature on and off in attempt to maximize fuel economy. It's implied in non trailering situations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
joemac
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing