F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's ordered 5star tuner with sct handheld. I have a 2013 fx4. Question, is it bad to launch in 4x4? Is it bad to launch with electric rear locker engaged?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Yes and Yes. Use the search. This has been gone over. With one guy wrecking his drive train.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
On snow, dirt or mud; no worries.

On dry pavement, you could. Someone recently made a post about blowing his tranny by doing that very thing.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Yes and Yes. Use the search. This has been gone over. With one guy wrecking his drive train.
I suspect we are talking about the same post. :eek:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It's ordered 5star tuner with sct handheld. I have a 2013 fx4. Question, is it bad to launch in 4x4? Is it bad to launch with electric rear locker engaged?
Thanks
I would not recommend either!

4x4 and elocker are designed to operate in slick conditions. Using them harshly like launching in a race on dry pavement is a recipe for major drive line failures caused by binding and extreme stresses that it was not built for.

Regards,

SPPD

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can use it on pavement. You aren't going to mess anything up unless you get wheel hop or axle wrap. In which case you would break a LSD too. Either get traction bars or use some common sense and if something goes wrong, take your foot off the gas!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
You can use it on pavement. You aren't going to mess anything up unless you get wheel hop or axle wrap. In which case you would break a LSD too. Either get traction bars or use some common sense and if something goes wrong, take your foot off the gas!
Heck, anything can be used at least once ....

An LSD and E-locker are quite different.

A limited slip does have some slip between the two rear wheels; this is so you can turn around corners without binding. Also it will work regardless of speed. LSDs have been used on performance cars for years. I've owned many and used them.

The E-Locker has no slippage and is designed for use during slippery conditions; it isn't designed for dry pavement. The owner's manual states it should not be used on dry pavement.

Also, the E-locker disengages after 25 mph. If your tires were breaking loose under power, the PCM will think you going faster than 25 mph (based on wheel spin) and disengage it anyway.

If a person wants a "muscle truck" with great traction at the strip, they should consider switching to an LSD unit instead. Drag racing is not what our E-locker was designed for (there are others). Besides, as I said, after the PCM thinks you are doing 25 mph based on wheel spin, it will disengage anyway. So it will be of limited use.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
From what I've read, the instant traction on dry pavement while using either of those is a horrible idea.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
From what I've read, the instant traction on dry pavement while using either of those is a horrible idea.
Normally with a locker it wouldn't hurt anything to race with (as long as it's made to handle the power you're laying down), but with ours disengaging at 25 it creates a scary situation if you get wheel spin off the line.

4x4 isn't designed for racing, but you can use it for that. Just bear in mind that racing puts a lot of strain on your drive-train, and things will break when abused. With 4x4 wheel spin/hop is extremely detrimental to the drive-train. So, If you're like me and have the power to break loose in 4wd don't use it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts