F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All the talk about catch cans has had me thinking that I better keep an eye on mine. One week after being emptied I figured I would see how much I caught. Callicoon Trim 005.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
looks like I'm not the only one with a full to almost full catch can... how many miles have you driven? can you estimate oil (in the bottom) to the white mix that floats to the top?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil was probably about two ounces with a qtr inch of white stuff on top, I drive about 350 miles a week. I dont think that much oil is cause for concern with temps averaging 10* all week for highs.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running the one from Stage 3 , if you have one you must check at least once every 3 weeks.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Keep in mind the ecoboost in winter conditions will catch this much in the average week of driving. If running a small can, you are already most likely having a good deal of what is in there being pulled right through and into the engine during high condensation weather (cold weather).

Here is what is caught in one week in Florida here with temps in the 40's at night, 60-70's day. This is of course from a system with app 1 qt capacity and designed for the amount of PCV compounds the ecoboost puts through the PCV system:

The different levels will contain from the bottom up:

Water with sulfuric acid (can eat through a red solo cup, use a glass or a material a water bottle is made from)

Unburn't fuel and various hydrocarbon compounds

Emulsified water oil fuel mixture

Oil that has separated and floats on the top.

If you smell this caustic mix you can detect alot of what a good can has caught and trapped VS where most let a good amount pull right through the can catching a minimal amount of what is actually part of the combustion byproduct and related processes. You want NONE of this entering the intake air charge, and anyone in doubt on any can they care using, simply stop into any auto parts store and pick up a clear glass inline fuel filter (not the plastic ones) and install it between your cans outlet and the intake manifold vacuum barb. Now drive 50-100 miles and see if it is already saturated in this oil and gunk getting past the can you have chosen. Works with all cans and shows you up close an personal if the can you have installed is letting this stuff past and only catching part of it, or is properly designed and of the minimal size needed to catch all of it.

You need to know first hand what is happening with your engine as none of this gunk is good to be ingesting into your intake air charge, especially with a turbo or other FI application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts