F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Edit:

Hey guys, I've been working on an intercooler comparison for the 2011-2014's. Can y'all help fill in some of the blanks and/or make any corrections? Thanks

Note about BOV's (Blow Off Valves): There are several components to the BOV's on the 13-14 Ecoboosts. There is the BOV solenoid itself, which is attached to a large recirculation canister. The canister has a large pipe flange on it that the recirculation tube attaches to. The tube recirculates the air released from the blow-off valve back into the intake.

VTA means Vent to Atmosphere. This means that the excess pressurized air, when released from the BOV, will be released to the atmosphere, and not recirculated back into the air intake. By venting to atmosphere, you will gain a louder "PSHHHH" typical blow-off sound. This will also require to either plug off the existing recirculation pipe with a special plug, or the easier and better route would be to completely remove the recirculation pipe, and plug the nipple on the hard plastic intake tube with something like a 1" rubber chair foot and a hose clamp. That is the route I went and the way I suggest. The only configuration I am not 100% sure about is if you decide to re-use the factory BOV with the Full Race IC. I know it reuses the entire BOV and recirculation canister, however I am unsure if the placement of the BOV on the new cold-side charge pipe allows use of the factory recirculation tube, I would assume not.

Aftermarket mechanical BOV's such as the Turbosmart or Tial Q vent to atmosphere by design, so they would both require blocking off the nipple on the hard intake tube (super easy and cheap). They are both mechanical, however, as opposed to the factory electronic BOV, and will require you to tap into either a port on a throttle body spacer, or a vacuum line for a boost-reference.

Note about ATP: Turbosmart states their Supersonic BOV will not fit on ATP intercoolers.

Factory BOV attached to factory intercooler with canister and recirc tube:

Factory recirc tube removed and plugged, with stock BOV "vented to atmosphere":

Factory BOV recirculation tube:

Intake inlet capped with a 1" to 1 1/8" rubber stopper:

[/QUOTE]

On3:

CPE:

ATP:

Mishimoto:

Wagner:

Vortech:

Full Race:

AFE:

AMR:

Also a cool little poll, and some good comparison info from users on this forum in the comments: Poll: Aftermarket IC upgrade with prices (Gen1)

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Full Race :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Any chance you know the core dimensions or if it has a drain valve?
It does not have a drain valve due to the high mount position and the fact that the BOV is in the cold side pipe down low. So in this case it is not really a negative.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does not have a drain valve due to the high mount position and the fact that the BOV is in the cold side pipe down low.
Thanks, and is it compatible with both stock and aftermarket BOV?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Thanks, and is it compatible with both stock and aftermarket BOV?
You order it to work with the stock BOV, Tail BOV or TurboSmart BOV. It really just the elbow on the cold side. I have collected the elbows for all three for mine.

It’s not a factor for many, but with the FR you can install a hidden winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don’t know if this was a issue with either the Mishimoto or the Turbosmart BOV (SP Supersonic) ....
But I had to modify my Turbosmart BOV by using a dremel to cut the channels so it would screw into the Mishimoto Intercooler properly. The stock BOV setup fit perfectly, so It must have been the Turbosmart that had an issue

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All made in the USA lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I initially did NOT think the mishimotos were made in the US. Figured I'd leave that column there in case someone knew more than me and corrected it

·
Vendor
7,290 Posts
I initially did NOT think the mishimotos were made in the US. Figured I'd leave that column there in case someone knew more than me and corrected it
All good, I’d say there are more than a handful realistically not made in the USA. Good list though, it wasn’t a knock at you and your efforts. Thank you for them by the way. Good stuff

·
Registered
671 Posts
Maybe add a column for where the unit is mounted? Stock location/In front of Radiator/Etc.?

On FullRace's site they list the unit as 36 × 18 × 18 in, which now that I look at the number would be WAY off and such a thick core your condenser and radiator would never get air.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Not sure what the threshold is for earning a "made in the USA" badge. I mean who would buy something simply based on that anyway? I want something that cools my hot fricken turbo charge effectively and won't blow my motor.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure what the threshold is for earning a "made in the USA" badge. I mean who would buy something simply based on that anyway? I want something that cools my hot fricken turbo charge effectively and won't blow my motor.
Supporting American business is always a plus. When I started this, I honestly expected Mishimoto and on3 to be foreign made but I was wrong, apparently

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you really want to get fancy with this, catalog a list of hyperlinks to relevant threads and data for each one. That would most probably earn you a sticky.(y)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you really want to get fancy with this, catalog a list of hyperlinks to relevant threads and data for each one. That would most probably earn you a sticky.(y)
I'd be happy to and add them to my original post. If you know of any good ones, post the links. It would help save me some time and searching.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Here's data on the Wagner 2011-2014 Ford F-150 and 2015-2017 Expedition Wagner Ecoboost EVO Intercooler | MPT Performance

and the Mishimoto: https://cdn.mishimoto.com/media/productpdf/MMINT-F150-11_EngineeringReport.pdf

I'd probably try to reference "data" only and use forum threads as a last resort if no other information is available. Also, you might consider having different generations or years because 2015+ is very different than pre-2014. Not sure if you're only focusing on one generation or the other. Some companies only make 2015+ for example.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still missing the core dimensions on the on3, vortech, and FR too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I know that, I already had to correct some people wanting me to add Garrett to the list, for example, which is only 2015+. For right now, I'd like to get a complete list for the 2011-2014 (I have a 2014) but if enough people are interested, I may be willing to expand it to 2015+ also

Here's data on the Wagner 2011-2014 Ford F-150 and 2015-2017 Expedition Wagner Ecoboost EVO Intercooler | MPT Performance

and the Mishimoto: https://cdn.mishimoto.com/media/productpdf/MMINT-F150-11_EngineeringReport.pdf

I'd probably try to reference "data" only and use forum threads as a last resort if no other information is available. Also, you might consider having different generations or years because 2015+ is very different than pre-2014. Not sure if you're only focusing on one generation or the other. Some companies only make 2015+ for example.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts