F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a problem with the Engine Coolant Sensor causing the "Check Engine" light to come on? The light came on while driving my 2012 F-150 about 15,000 miles ago. I stopped at an AutoZone and they read the computer code as being a problem with the Engine Coolant Sensor. Before I could get it into the dealer to get it checked out, the light went out and had no more trouble with it. Yesterday, the "Check Engine" light came on again and a computer code reader is again saying it is a problem with the Engine Coolant sensor. I checked the coolant level and it is fine. Also, both times the engine temperature gauge was right at where it always is when the engine is warmed up. Anyone had this problem or can offer info on whether there has been a service bulletin from Ford about problems with the Engine Coolant Sensor in the 2012 Ecoboost engines?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Has anyone experienced a problem with the Engine Coolant Sensor causing the "Check Engine" light to come on? The light came on while driving my 2012 F-150 about 15,000 miles ago. I stopped at an AutoZone and they read the computer code as being a problem with the Engine Coolant Sensor. Before I could get it into the dealer to get it checked out, the light went out and had no more trouble with it. Yesterday, the "Check Engine" light came on again and a computer code reader is again saying it is a problem with the Engine Coolant sensor. I checked the coolant level and it is fine. Also, both times the engine temperature gauge was right at where it always is when the engine is warmed up. Anyone had this problem or can offer info on whether there has been a service bulletin from Ford about problems with the Engine Coolant Sensor in the 2012 Ecoboost engines?
A code reader is not a definitive answer, as sometimes a different sensor will cause the PCM to compensate and cause a different sensor to "go out of range" and cause a "false reading". Also, was the last code properly cleared?

Assuming your Engine Coolant Sensor is the problem, your first fix is to check ALL of the connectors between the Engine Coolant Sensor and the PCM that you can. This is often the reason for an "intermittent" sensor reading. The second thing to do, is replace the Engine Coolant Sensor.

Or, go to the Dealership. Sometimes, this is cheaper when you start to replace parts and they don't fix the problem. You also may be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where the coolant sensor is located on the engine? Is it labeled as such? Maybe I have loosened it inadvertantly while changing the oil. I don't know if you have any experience changing the oil on this engine in the F-150 but it is a ***** to get to the oil filter. I'm sorry about my ignorance but what is the "PCM"? I assume it is the computer control - where is it located? Munnman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts