F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.5L, Lariat, 4 inch Fox BDS, 18s/35s rims and tires, Sealight LEDs, Deployable Steps AMP
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have an '18 3.5L EB SuperCrew Shortbed, I was wondering what kind of tunes/engine upgrades/exhaust mods you guys would recommend? Links would be helpful! I was already considering pulling the trigger on a Flowmaster super 44 muffler how do you guys feel about that? any better suggestions for a low/aggressive sounding muffler or res/muffler delete? Also wanted to do a K&N cold air intake but theyre hard to get in California. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
141 Posts
California...sigh. Gotta love it. Sitting in San Fran now on a contract job and am glad I exfilled this state when I could. No offense...

As for mods, I would suggest tuning first. Best money spent by far and I believe others would agree.

BUT WAIT...if you have not replaced plugs and are over 30K miles, I would start there. check your gap, make sure it is .28 - .30...and if you tune, your tuner may recommend a different gap. Therefore...

These motors are excellent and from the factory are tuned VERY conservative. A tune will open up the powerband and you will notice it right away.

I have 5 Star and Unleashed tunes, prefer Unleashed (my preference) but there are many companies available that will not only provide you with the device (tuner) but with the tunes via email or whatever. If you already have a compatible device, all you need is the tune from whoever you choose.

Exhaust is not going to net much, but opinions vary from person to person as far as power. For me, replacing the system from turbos back was required as my cat's were failed and the factory catback was in bad shape. I noticed a change simply because it was able to exhale better than it could with stopped up cats. Just keep in mind the factory system is not a BAD design, however the opinion of putting a higher flow set of pipes (one I believe in) is not going to hurt in anyway.

As for the muffler, just remember...you have a V6, so if you are expecting a V8 sound, don't hold your breath. I went with Full Race and deleted the resonator. I put a Magnaflow straight through stainless muffler in place (of the FR resonator) with flanges to match, it quietened the drone down and made it a little lower sounding but it is still clearly a V6.

An intake again is not going to do much but give you more sound. Although, tuning can adjust for anything you add, which will reflect your powerband.

Not sure why there are not more CARB certified CAI's available, but that is going back to my first statement about the state of CA.

So to recap...Tune first. Then start adding other items and have your tuner of choice adjust or revise your tune after datalogging to reflect the change. All based on what you can afford.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
141 Posts
Also, I noted that fuel (regular) here in Cali is $4.19 a gallon...which is crazy considering in Middle TN its half that. When you get a tune, you will have the option of whatever octane fuel you wish to run...and as a result you will probably burn more fuel because your truck will be more fun to drive...meaning you will probably be more heavy on the long skinny pedal...

Forgot to add that...sorry

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Pick your noise level and preferences, go from there. Probably more aftermarket exhaust styles available for F150 than any other vehicle. The intake? Little to gain until more extensive modifications are done. The OEM is a full cold air intake system that is designed quite well. I'd invest the $$$ in something else like the exhaust or better upgrade shock/coilover. You will get the turbo V6 sound haters, and also random size/diameter affects power stuff, pay no attention. There is no scavenging effect after the turbos so size is a benefit far as the sound works for you. KM

Reactions: TangoMike415

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
487 Posts
Personally I would just do tune and intercooler. Highly recommend sticking with the stock intake.
I agree with you that stock intake is not bad, it flows just as good as an aftermarket intake with a drop in high flow filter, but if noise is what you want, stock intake has very little turbo whine/sucking sounds.

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
141 Posts
I am also an advocate for an upgraded IC. But I also tow a lot and the factory IC heatsoaks like crazy. Noticed an immediate improvement with the upgrade, not so much in a huge power gain but in the ability to pull under throttle longer due to IAT2 temps being much lower.

Believe it or not, it dropped my ECT temps while pulling as well. And that’s with the Full Race FMIC that according to some “blocks airflow to the radiator.”

While I do not disagree that it creates some drag, I also keep my truck clean which includes keeping the coils on the condenser, radiator and FMIC clean and free of debris.

Okay got off in the weeds a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Myself, I'm having the Roush Level 1 power pack installed by my local Roush certified Ford dealer. My F150 is brand new and I want to keep the factory warranty happy. The HP rating stays the same with Level 1 or 2 so I figure why take off a new exhaust system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tune is best bang for the buck IMO. I have the SCT tune and it's a really nice improvement over stock. I can't compare it to other tunes, but others may. The upload process wasn't the best, but it got done. For exhaust, I deleted the factory resonator and left the rest alone. No change in interior noise level and got a small but noticeable performance improvement.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If you're in Cali you're going to want to keep the same hardware and put a tune on it. Unless you like swapping parts to pass an emissions test. With a tune it's load then go.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
There are some carb compliant parts. A few of the intakes and I believe a couple intercoolers have a Carb #. Whipples intercooler and I believe the Garrett intercooler both have #’s

Whipple also has a Carb complaint tune. I would fully expect more carb tunes to be coming out.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Also to note, my hot side pipes from Mishimoto are CARB compliant and came with a EO#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts