F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,691 Posts
So crazy for a low mileage 19 to have the not-rare symptoms of a higher mileage Ecoboost. At least with enough miles to use up some of the consumables.

I say that because it would be unlikely that the typical miss-fire culprits are behind it. Like worn plugs and such. Which would imply that some part on the truck is factory defective.

I guess you could have a bad coil that is only failing intermittently? Or something similar.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you say "reflash" what exactly do you mean? Are you tuned and just returning to stock?
Initially the dealership reflashed it. That fixed it so I called edge, they say it's a common issue and that reflashing with their tuner will fix it when it happens too. So I bought one. And man, once I dialed in shift points and firmness, plus the extra power, I'm glad I bought one.
Be sure to change to tow when you're towing or you will get turbo blow off every little incline.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, dealership called this evening. They found that the torque converter was not locking up and slipping. So they've ordered a new one. Hopefully this is the final fix now...I feel like I've said this before haha

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
Honestly, that explanation better fits the story, in my opinion. It's too bad that when it is transmission related, the typical dealership is very slow to diagnose the problem, if at all.

There are many threads that the poster is trying to describe strange behavior, or odd noises, only to suffer through considerable misdiagnosis before finally getting the remedy.

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty good about the current direction on your truck. But if it DOES turn out to be the torque converter, you have to admit that the language of "misfire" was actually inaccurate. I'm just saying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@snakebitten I don't disagree with you that if it is actually the torque converter, then labelling it as a "misfire" sounds so far from the truth and inaccurate, but I my many years with different vehicle, I've had a fair bit of experience with faulty plugs, coils, and distributors.I know that as unlikely as it may sound the feeling of the symptoms was right on par with a misfire. The way that the truck would pull as I accelerated and then its legs would just drop from under it and then in an instance it would be pulling again, sometimes repeating several times in rapid succession.

I've had one torque converter go on an older truck in the past, and for that, it was total failure and would not lock up under 4500 rpm. It was bad.

If it is the torque converter, then I will hang my head, tuck my ego away, and admit that I am no longer the "car guru" I thought I once was...;)

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
I completely agree with you.

Maybe my wording sounded accusatory, but it wasn't meant to be. My intent was to emphasize how many folks with these similar symptoms struggle to get a quick and satisfactory diagnosis from "the experts".

They are the ones that should be aware that when a customer describes a miss-fire, it might not be a miss-fire at all.

I don't fault the average consumer for not being savvy about the incredible complexities of this truck. But I am complaining about how few experts ARE experts.

Reactions: Upshifter

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Did you ever figure out this problem? I'm having similar issues
Welcome !
Care to post the issues/symptoms you are having ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Did you ever figure out this problem? I'm having similar issues
I did get it fixed. The dealer found that my throttle body was faulty and had that replaced, and that solved one of my hesitation issues, but ultimately, the torque converter was failing and would uncouple/slip at random. Once that was replaced everything worked great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you say "reflash" what exactly do you mean? Are you tuned and just returning to stock?
Sorry for the long delay. I reflash the computer by reprogramming it. A dealership will reflash for you. OR in my case, I used my edge tuner to return to stock then reflashed the custom tune.

I now have a 2021 Platinum....yum

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I am having the same issue with my 14, I just had the timing chain replaced and it feels like it falls on its face for a second, The mechanic that did the chain has to put the ac belt on yet, Who ever come up with the stretch to fit idea needs a butt whoopin, He is going to swap a coil out tomorrow as it did throw a miss fire code on cylinder 3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2018 3.5 eco. Been tuned for 40,000 miles. Recently I noticed the same issues that you are describing typically in my higher gears while cruising. Even if I am in manual mode. Locked in seventh gear, I can feel it missing. At least that’s the best way I can describe it. I can verify that I have no codes. I’ve been monitoring misfire accounts, and that is fine as well. I had a brand new transmission put in 20,000 miles ago. Had this done just before my warranty was up. My question that I have for northern light is did you see your RPMs rise as if it is slipping and unengaging from lock up? When I watch my slip, it doesn’t seem to be acting like the transmission is slipping. It feels exactly like a misfire and happened several time within a matter of three or four seconds. I just installed a tune where I previously had no issues with this. Hoping that this is somehow tune related. If not I will be going back to stock tune and headed back to the dealer and hopes that they will figure out what’s going on with us. You can feel it very easily while tuned. I’m hoping we will still be able to feel it on the stock tune.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
2018 3.5 eco. Been tuned for 40,000 miles. Recently I noticed the same issues that you are describing typically in my higher gears while cruising. Even if I am in manual mode. Locked in seventh gear, I can feel it missing. At least that’s the best way I can describe it. I can verify that I have no codes. I’ve been monitoring misfire accounts, and that is fine as well. I had a brand new transmission put in 20,000 miles ago. Had this done just before my warranty was up. My question that I have for northern light is did you see your RPMs rise as if it is slipping and unengaging from lock up? When I watch my slip, it doesn’t seem to be acting like the transmission is slipping. It feels exactly like a misfire and happened several time within a matter of three or four seconds. I just installed a tune where I previously had no issues with this. Hoping that this is somehow tune related. If not I will be going back to stock tune and headed back to the dealer and hopes that they will figure out what’s going on with us. You can feel it very easily while tuned. I’m hoping we will still be able to feel it on the stock tune.
Have you checked the plugs? I’ll get misfires that are not logged at WOT, pulling the plugs shows tracking on the porcelain.

I’ve been getting less than 10k on a set of plugs. Thankfully they are easy to change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I checked plugs and gapped .30 about 6 weeks ago. Plugs had about 10k on them. Running Ford plugs one step colder.
All plugs looked great 6 weeks ago. ###Was not having this issue when I checked plugs.. I want to note, not only am I not getting any Missfire codes.
I can also verify that I am not getting any misfire counts in general. I use Forscan and can see misfires per cylinder.
As you know, we can still get misfires and they will not throw a code until you meet the threshold.
I have a brand new set of Ford plugs at home I can swap really quick as you mentioned. However I think I have ruled this out.

This morning on newly loaded tune (which I had ran in the past without this issue). I was on highway in Manual 7th gear. Trying to replicate the issue. I was not able to do so. I was monitoring TCslip as well. It was behaving normal. I checked trans temp and it was still not up to normal temp. 5 mins later I noticed it started misbehaving again.
I was not monitoring slip, but noticed the trans temp was over the 170 degree.

I will try again on my 40 mile drive home tonight. I will monitor the TCslip after trans temps get to operating temperature.

Thanks all for any help.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
I checked plugs and gapped .30 about 6 weeks ago. Plugs had about 10k on them. Running Ford plugs one step colder.
All plugs looked great 6 weeks ago. ###Was not having this issue when I checked plugs.. I want to note, not only am I not getting any Missfire codes.
I can also verify that I am not getting any misfire counts in general. I use Forscan and can see misfires per cylinder.
As you know, we can still get misfires and they will not throw a code until you meet the threshold.
I have a brand new set of Ford plugs at home I can swap really quick as you mentioned. However I think I have ruled this out.

This morning on newly loaded tune (which I had ran in the past without this issue). I was on highway in Manual 7th gear. Trying to replicate the issue. I was not able to do so. I was monitoring TCslip as well. It was behaving normal. I checked trans temp and it was still not up to normal temp. 5 mins later I noticed it started misbehaving again.
I was not monitoring slip, but noticed the trans temp was over the 170 degree.

I will try again on my 40 mile drive home tonight. I will monitor the TCslip after trans temps get to operating temperature.

Thanks all for any help.
You checked the plugs six weeks ago? A lot can happen in six weeks. I’m at the point where I’ll always have spare plugs on hand. I bet if you pull your plugs you’d find one or two with some tracking or other issues.

in the good old days, you could do coil boots too.. but I’m still trying to find boots for these newer trucks..for reasons we can probably guess, Ford dealers will only sell complete coils to me.

edit: heres how my misfiring plug looked. This plug had about 8,000 miles on it. Replaced and the misfire is gone.
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Automotive lighting

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will do them tonight. But again I am not getting an misfires. Are you saying I could be getting misfires and they are not showing up in Forscan Mode 6?
I know we can get misfires on these trucks without throwing a code. But they would show up on Forscan Mode 6.
This info shows every cylinder 65,535 count and 0 misfires. The threshold for a CEC light is .9% I believe.
I was expecting to see a cylinder or 2 that were showing misfires, but not enough to throw a CEC.
That was not the case.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
If your transmission temps are in fact tied to what you are experiencing, then it could very well not be a misfire issue regardless of the similar symptom.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
I will do them tonight. But again I am not getting an misfires. Are you saying I could be getting misfires and they are not showing up in Forscan Mode 6?
I know we can get misfires on these trucks without throwing a code. But they would show up on Forscan Mode 6.
This info shows every cylinder 65,535 count and 0 misfires. The threshold for a CEC light is .9% I believe.
I was expecting to see a cylinder or 2 that were showing misfires, but not enough to throw a CEC.
That was not the case.

Thanks
I've not used the for scan logging, but I was monitoring misfires via my SCT BDX and datalogs on multiple pids were not showing misfires. It had me worried about transmission stuff just like you..

Finally broke down and pulled the plugs to be sure.. and felt like a dingus for not doing it a week earlier when I first noticed it. What kept me from pulling the plugs was that it was happening on one tune but not another. As the week went on and the other tune got 'turned up' through revisions, it started happening on that one as well.

For me, it would only happen at WOT when the truck was fully warm.. like 200+ ECT and 195 transmission. If I did a pull at 180 ECT and 175 trans, no misfire. Nothing logged, multiple tuners looking at logs could not identify anything wrong.. but I changed the plugs and the issue went away.

Sounds a lot like what you're dealing with.. I can't promise it's the exact same thing, but I'd PayPal you $5 if it's not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've not used the for scan logging, but I was monitoring misfires via my SCT BDX and datalogs on multiple pics were not showing misfires. It had me worried about transmission stuff just like you..

Finally broke down and pulled the plugs to be sure.. and felt like a dingus for not doing it a week earlier when I first noticed it. What kept me from pulling the plugs was that it was happening on one tune but not another. As the week went on and the other tune got 'turned up' through revisions, it started happening on that one as well.

For me, it would only happen at WOT when the truck was fully warm.. like 200+ ECT and 195 transmission. If I did a pull at 180 ECT and 175 trans, no misfire. Nothing logged, multiple tuners looking at logs could not identify anything wrong.. but I changed the plugs and the issue went away.

Sounds a lot like what you're dealing with.. I can't promise it's the exact same thing, but I'd PayPal you $5 if it's not.
I'll PayPal you $10 if it is the cause. I hope it is. On my Ngauge I can only see misfires if there is a CEC or soft CEC.
That is why I starting monitoring using Forscan. I had Forscan for years, but ever used it until this week. Pretty useful tool and very cheap.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
I'll PayPal you $10 if it is the cause. I hope it is. On my Ngauge I can only see misfires if there is a CEC or soft CEC.
That is why I starting monitoring using Forscan. I had Forscan for years, but ever used it until this week. Pretty useful tool and very cheap.
Good luck! I really hope it's just your plugs.

Last time I replaced the coil as well, this time I put the same coils back on and I'm watching to see if it comes back any quicker.. I don't really want to have to change plugs every other time I change my oil.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts