F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
2018 3.5 eco. Been tuned for 40,000 miles. Recently I noticed the same issues that you are describing typically in my higher gears while cruising. Even if I am in manual mode. Locked in seventh gear, I can feel it missing. At least that’s the best way I can describe it. I can verify that I have no codes. I’ve been monitoring misfire accounts, and that is fine as well. I had a brand new transmission put in 20,000 miles ago. Had this done just before my warranty was up. My question that I have for northern light is did you see your RPMs rise as if it is slipping and unengaging from lock up? When I watch my slip, it doesn’t seem to be acting like the transmission is slipping. It feels exactly like a misfire and happened several time within a matter of three or four seconds. I just installed a tune where I previously had no issues with this. Hoping that this is somehow tune related. If not I will be going back to stock tune and headed back to the dealer and hopes that they will figure out what’s going on with us. You can feel it very easily while tuned. I’m hoping we will still be able to feel it on the stock tune.
I did not see my tack move when it "slipped". As I was accelerating, the truck would do the traditional stop and jump motion feels like the ignition was kicked off and then on again and the tack would stop climbing at whatever rpm it was at, then as soon as the power returned it was climbing again. This all would happen in a fraction of a second and a code was never thrown.

I will also note (can't remember if I mentioned this in an earlier post and too lazy to go back and check) that at first this only happened while running BCB's highlander tune and 91 gas. The 3 different times I loaded the tune to try, it would happen so I thought the tune was bad. but then after running the Macgyver tune for 10k or kilometers, I had it happen in that tune during regular driving. Then I returned to stock and very soon it started doing it in stock as well. My belief is that the highlander tune was able to show the early signs of failure due to it being more aggressive than the stock or Macgyver tunes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So driving home today, 40 mile drive. Made sure trans temp was warm. I could not replicate the issue. I am beside myself. Driving in manual always reproduces this. The only thing that was different that I could think of was that I had the AC on in the truck because I was trying to hear anything strange. I am so confused.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pulled plugs tonight. They all looked great. Checked gaps on removed plus. All were still at.30. Installed new Ford plugs. Same kind. 1 range colder. I Gapped them at .28 this time. I also removed all MAP sensors and cleaned. Also did a small repair job on my beat up AMS intake tubes (cracked and smashed by Ford dealer). Took for a little drive tonight. Mostly city driving, where I have non seen the issue. Will know more tomorrow on the highway.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Audio equipment Art

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Those plugs look good.. no tracking? Tough that you couldn’t replicate earlier, makes troubleshooting difficult 😞

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the new set on Friday evening after work. New set gapped at .28. Used dielectric on the inside boots. Did not get new boots. They looked good as well. Will order up a set though.

Here is what has happened so far.

• Truck brought to Ford to have cam phasers done a couple months ago. Yes, on my stock tune. I also had stock plugs installed at that time. Received truck back after a couple days. Did a new stock read. Sent to Mike at MPT. New tune was installed days later. Truck running good.
  • Mike and I have been working on a boost issue for a while. He sent me a revision. Installed this tune.
  • I was getting a soft P061A code pretty routinely on this tune. Did not seem to affect drivability. It would not set a light for this code. I would get a soft P061A to pop up if I was driving WOT runs at higher speeds. Like cruising at 70 or so. Then mashing the throttle. After a couple of those, I would scan, and I would see the code. Spoke to Mike and he sent me revision.
  • Loaded new tune. Took it easy to make sure all is good. I start noticing the issue with the short miss in higher gears, mid throttle. Seems to be the worst in seventh and eighth gear. I could replicate this every trip while driving. I would put the truck in manual, select seventh gear. Give it mid throttle and would feel it several times. It felt like a quick miss, then back to normal. It did not feel like a slipping trans to me. Happened most with RPMs under 3k. As the RPMs reached higher, the issue got better or did not happen at all.
  • Last week I set up my Forscan finally. I wanted to look at misfire counts per cylinder. My Ngauge will only show misfires if there is a code. I never had a misfire code. After researching, I figured outhow to do this using Forscan. Our trucks are common to misfires. It will only throw a code once the misfire count meets the max threshold to do so. I verified that I had none.
  • Thursday night I loaded an older tune that did not have any prior issues. I was hoping this was all tune related.
  • Friday morning I drove to work. It was good for about 10 minutes, but started happening after trans temp was over 170. I was able to replicate the same miss feeling, quick lose of power. Same 7th and 8th gear mostly.
  • Friday evening was headed home to try a new set of plugs. I have a 40 mile drive, so easy for me to test the the 7th/ 8th gear issue in manual. I could NOT replicate the issue. What? The only difference if any, was I had the AC on.
  • After trucked cooled down, I Installed a new set of plugs. Gapped at .28. Fixed the broken AMS intake pipe that was pulling in unmetered air. Cleaned MAF sensors.
  • Saturday drove to work and back home, still running good.
  • Today we will see how it goes I guess. I still need to get my current tune flashed on the truck. But now nervous as heck, cause I don’t want to start this over again. This just doesn’t make sense to me. I will keep you posted.
Sorry for the long boring read.
Thanks

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
I installed the new set on Friday evening after work. New set gapped at .28. Used dielectric on the inside boots. Did not get new boots. They looked good as well. Will order up a set though.

Here is what has happened so far.

• Truck brought to Ford to have cam phasers done a couple months ago. Yes, on my stock tune. I also had stock plugs installed at that time. Received truck back after a couple days. Did a new stock read. Sent to Mike at MPT. New tune was installed days later. Truck running good.
  • Mike and I have been working on a boost issue for a while. He sent me a revision. Installed this tune.
  • I was getting a soft P061A code pretty routinely on this tune. Did not seem to affect drivability. It would not set a light for this code. I would get a soft P061A to pop up if I was driving WOT runs at higher speeds. Like cruising at 70 or so. Then mashing the throttle. After a couple of those, I would scan, and I would see the code. Spoke to Mike and he sent me revision.
  • Loaded new tune. Took it easy to make sure all is good. I start noticing the issue with the short miss in higher gears, mid throttle. Seems to be the worst in seventh and eighth gear. I could replicate this every trip while driving. I would put the truck in manual, select seventh gear. Give it mid throttle and would feel it several times. It felt like a quick miss, then back to normal. It did not feel like a slipping trans to me. Happened most with RPMs under 3k. As the RPMs reached higher, the issue got better or did not happen at all.
  • Last week I set up my Forscan finally. I wanted to look at misfire counts per cylinder. My Ngauge will only show misfires if there is a code. I never had a misfire code. After researching, I figured outhow to do this using Forscan. Our trucks are common to misfires. It will only throw a code once the misfire count meets the max threshold to do so. I verified that I had none.
  • Thursday night I loaded an older tune that did not have any prior issues. I was hoping this was all tune related.
  • Friday morning I drove to work. It was good for about 10 minutes, but started happening after trans temp was over 170. I was able to replicate the same miss feeling, quick lose of power. Same 7th and 8th gear mostly.
  • Friday evening was headed home to try a new set of plugs. I have a 40 mile drive, so easy for me to test the the 7th/ 8th gear issue in manual. I could NOT replicate the issue. WTF? The only difference if any, was I had the AC on.
  • After trucked cooled down, I Installed a new set of plugs. Gapped at .28. Fixed the broken AMS intake pipe that was pulling in unmetered air. Cleaned MAF sensors.
  • Saturday drove to work and back home, still running good.
  • Today we will see how it goes I guess. I still need to get my current tune flashed on the truck. But now nervous as hell, cause I don’t want to start this over again. This just doesn’t make sense to me. I will keep you posted.
Sorry for the long boring read.
Thanks

Not boring, I'm very interested.. In my case it was a plug issue, but it's not obvious what yours is..

I have gotten that P061A code before.. Sometimes at the same time as a P0299 (underboost) or P0234 (overboost), but not always. I have let the tuner that I'm working with at the time know about the code, and while I have not gotten any details on the code.. they also have not indicated it was something I should be worried about.. I assume it's tune related. Sounds very similar to your experience

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,691 Posts
I second the "not boring" :)

Quite the opposite, especially since you are providing ample supporting information to not leave holes.

Reactions: Boatwaco
41 - 52 of 52 Posts